Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1363277 - 03/24/10 07:21 PM Re: Anyone willing to help on a kindergarten project? B_F
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: B_F
Dip, how much "work" is it to socialize with your friends and family to ask them to send you a postcard? This is a neat project to me, and requires VERY LITTLE work for the student. What child that age doesn't want to have an excuse to call the grandparents? This not only teaches geography, but it also teaches social skills.

in fact, it requires no work by the student, as mom/dad in on BOL asking for us to send stuff in...not the kid.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1363278 - 03/24/10 07:22 PM Re: Anyone willing to help on a kindergarten project? B_F
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Dip, how much "work" is it to socialize with your friends and family to ask them to send you a postcard? This is a neat project to me, and requires VERY LITTLE work for the student. What child that age doesn't want to have an excuse to call the grandparents? This not only teaches geography, but it also teaches social skills.

I don't mean this one project, I mean ALL the projects kids ae doign these days. My cousins go to private school that assigns them a ton of stuff to do so that they don't have much time for doign what they want. Btu private school is the parent's choice--NotPerect's son goes to a public school. What if, as a parent, you felt it was too much and your child couldn't keep up or got burned out?

Return to Top
#1363282 - 03/24/10 07:25 PM Re: Anyone willing to help on a kindergarten project? Dip
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: Dip

I don't mean this one project, I mean ALL the projects kids ae doign these days. My cousins go to private school that assigns them a ton of stuff to do so that they don't have much time for doign what they want. Btu private school is the parent's choice--NotPerect's son goes to a public school. What if, as a parent, you felt it was too much and your child couldn't keep up or got burned out?

Please remember this is coming from someone who got an "A" in spelling and grammar!!! eek

I loved kindergarten...breaking out the mat for an afternoon nap, going to eat lunch and being able to buy either chocolate milk or a grape nehi soda...i think we had 3 recesses a day...and i certainly don't recall an projects ever being done...

Return to Top
#1363288 - 03/24/10 07:30 PM Re: Anyone willing to help on a kindergarten project? HappyGilmore
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
I started reading in Kindergarten...those little yellow books with Matt teh Rat and Leo the Lion. And we brushed our teeth and did art and played in the playground.

I agree with styepping up education and makign it more quality, but maybe hold off until 3rd grade...life is busy and stressfull enough without joining the rat race at 5 years old.

Return to Top
#1363291 - 03/24/10 07:33 PM Re: Anyone willing to help on a kindergarten project? NotPerfect
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: NotPerfect
Originally Posted By: Peepers
yeah! dad may disagree, but I turned out great!

By who's standards? By MPS standards? And the standards of which decade?

shut it! I simply wasn't held to a high standard

I'm working out my issues

Return to Top
#1363429 - 03/24/10 09:11 PM Re: Anyone willing to help on a kindergarten project? Dip
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Dip
I started reading in Kindergarten...those little yellow books with Matt teh Rat and Leo the Lion. And we brushed our teeth and did art and played in the playground.

I agree with styepping up education and makign it more quality, but maybe hold off until 3rd grade...life is busy and stressfull enough without joining the rat race at 5 years old.

The problem is, our brains are developing when we are that young, so it is much easier for us to learn things.

Return to Top
#1363434 - 03/24/10 09:16 PM Re: Anyone willing to help on a kindergarten project? B_F
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
How about we teach kids from age 1 through 12 and let us have 5 years free after HS or college when we're old enough to enjoy it?

Return to Top
#1363473 - 03/24/10 09:43 PM Re: Anyone willing to help on a kindergarten project? MB Guy
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
My postcards are in the mail!! I hope your son like them. If not, I can find some other ones this weekend or make one with a photo I'll take a Boyce Thompson Arboretum.

Return to Top
#1363651 - 03/25/10 01:11 PM Re: Anyone willing to help on a kindergarten project? Bacon Boy
BoopGirl Offline
BoopGirl
Crazy Town
Let me know if you want one from Panama City Beach, FL. I will be happy to send one along.

Return to Top
#1364485 - 03/26/10 11:33 AM Re: Anyone willing to help on a kindergarten project? BoopGirl
NotPerfect Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
Wednesday night, I told Little Man to watch the mail for some new postcards. His eyes light up and he's been asking about them ever since.

Hum. . . wonder if postcards will be that exciting when he's 16.

Thanks everyone!!!!

Return to Top
#1364487 - 03/26/10 11:35 AM Re: Anyone willing to help on a kindergarten project? NotPerfect
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
Looking for My Happy Place....
Hey NP!

I know Happy said he would get you one from Louisiana (or NOLA)

I could get you some from CT and Alaska - does he need those?

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#1364499 - 03/26/10 12:36 PM Re: Anyone willing to help on a kindergarten project? Tigg
Zoo Mama Offline
100 Club
My little town isn't very exciting but I'd be happy to send some from here. Let me know where to! What a fun experience for a little one. I remember watching the mail everyday hoping there was something for me. Now that it is all bills it isn't quite so exciting. LOL!

Return to Top
#1365992 - 03/30/10 01:05 PM Re: Anyone willing to help on a kindergarten project? Zoo Mama
NotPerfect Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
Little Man is starting to get the postcards. He had to tell me that he got 5 in the mail last night when I got home from work and showed each one to me.

And just in time. The school's Geo Club has a contest going on involving postcards. Students get to submit their favorite postcard to the club for some sort of contest drawing. All postcards will be on display for the whole school to see. He said he is going to have a hard time picking out just one.

Thanks everyone!!!

Return to Top
#1365996 - 03/30/10 01:07 PM Re: Anyone willing to help on a kindergarten project? NotPerfect
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
I'm so happy to hear this. Wish him luck from me!!

Return to Top
#1366113 - 03/30/10 02:50 PM Re: Anyone willing to help on a kindergarten project? Bacon Boy
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Oh no! I forgot to send mine. Need to do it today...guess I shoudl have his address on a brighter post-it cuz obviously this little pale yellow one ain't doing the trick laugh

Return to Top
#1366117 - 03/30/10 02:55 PM Re: Anyone willing to help on a kindergarten project? Dip
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Interested to hear if he got mine from Charleston, SC as I sent it through my iPhone app, Shoot It, and I haven't used that before. Let me know if you know and how it turned out.

Return to Top
#1366167 - 03/30/10 03:31 PM Re: Anyone willing to help on a kindergarten project? RVFlyboy
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
Hmm, I could probably arrange to get postcards sent from various other countries, but those can take a while to get to him (1-2 weeks) Is there a deadline? I can send one from NC as well. PM me your address smile And if you do want them from other countries, let me know.

Opinions expressed in these threads are my own and not my employer's.

Return to Top
#1366306 - 03/30/10 04:59 PM Re: Anyone willing to help on a kindergarten project? Aggs
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Mine went in the mail yesterday. I hope he's having fun!

Return to Top
#1366354 - 03/30/10 05:30 PM Re: Anyone willing to help on a kindergarten project? RVFlyboy
NotPerfect Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
Originally Posted By: CessnaFlyboy
Interested to hear if he got mine from Charleston, SC as I sent it through my iPhone app, Shoot It, and I haven't used that before. Let me know if you know and how it turned out.

He got it yesterday. I made sure to look for it - It turned out really cool.

Return to Top
#1366359 - 03/30/10 05:33 PM Re: Anyone willing to help on a kindergarten project? NotPerfect
Zoo Mama Offline
100 Club
Sent mine from NC today. I told the girl in the card shop what it was for and everyone there thought is was a neat idea. Heck, I wish I was getting postcards from all over the place, too!

Return to Top
#1366366 - 03/30/10 05:36 PM Re: Anyone willing to help on a kindergarten project? Zoo Mama
NotPerfect Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
Originally Posted By: Zoo Mama
Sent mine from NC today. I told the girl in the card shop what it was for and everyone there thought is was a neat idea. Heck, I wish I was getting postcards from all over the place, too!

Me too! All I ever get is bills and unsolicted mail.

Although, I'd much rather be traveling to all of these places and getting my own postcards.

grin

Return to Top
#1366370 - 03/30/10 05:38 PM Re: Anyone willing to help on a kindergarten project? NotPerfect
Zoo Mama Offline
100 Club
Let's start a project for big people, too! I'll send you one if you'll send me one! LOL! I'd much rather get a card than the Verizon, Duke Power and water bill I usually get.

Return to Top
#1366386 - 03/30/10 05:46 PM Re: Anyone willing to help on a kindergarten project? Zoo Mama
NotPerfect Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
Old fashion penpals!!! That would be fun.

Return to Top
#1366394 - 03/30/10 05:51 PM Re: Anyone willing to help on a kindergarten project? NotPerfect
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Old Fashions? I'll take mine sweet please...

Return to Top
#1366412 - 03/30/10 06:00 PM Re: Anyone willing to help on a kindergarten project? #Just Jay
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Join this year's ornament exchange and you can get an ornament from somewhere else in the country too smile

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3