Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1369492 - 04/05/10 08:09 PM SARs & Subpoenas/Summons
Jessesgirl Offline
There's No Place Like Texas!
Let's say you were suspicious of a business customer in the past and at the time of the suspicion the Acct Officer was very knowledgeable of the the customer and their business activities and therefore no SAR was filed. Well, a little over a year later you receive an IRS summons, however the account is now closed and the activity you were suspicious of occurred more than 1 year ago. Would you file a SAR now just based on the receipt of that summons?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1369545 - 04/05/10 10:00 PM Re: SARs & Subpoenas/Summons Jessesgirl
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
You would not file a SAR based on the fact that you receive a summons/subpoena. That should trigger a review, but not automatically trigger a SAR.

Return to Top
#1370408 - 04/07/10 03:07 PM Re: SARs & Subpoenas/Summons BrendaC
Jessesgirl Offline
There's No Place Like Texas!
Those were my thoughts as well, but wasn't sure if I should go back now and file on the activity I found suspicious a year ago or just let it go because it's been so long? My suspicion a year ago was possible tax evasion and when we received the IRS summons, I thought it was interesting.

Return to Top
#1370442 - 04/07/10 03:26 PM Re: SARs & Subpoenas/Summons Jessesgirl
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
If your review uncovers activity that you believe is suspicious irrespective of the subpoena or summons, you should file. And when you do, make sure you note in your file that you had a reason for not filing last year (an explanation that turned out not to be accurate).
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1371040 - 04/08/10 11:45 AM Re: SARs & Subpoenas/Summons John Burnett
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Agreed. You would not be filing because of the summons. You would be filing because a review prompted by the summons caused you to reconsider the situation in a different light. You are not prohibited from mentioning the summons in the SAR if you decide to file it.

FYI, the IRS does not use its summons authority for incidental income tax disputes. They are thinking about going after your former customer with a meat axe.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z