Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#137130 - 12/07/03 09:52 PM Unsecured Home Improvement Loans
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am preparing for training and have several questions please:
1.Do we report unsecured home improvement loans?
2.If an existing unsecured home improvement loan at another bank is being paid off do we (can we) report that as a home improvement? (Here I'm thinking about example two in the FFIEC's website. I know it would not be a refi., but thought it could be a home improvement.)
3.When HMDA refers to classifying a loan for home improvement purposes is there a specific line item on the call report for home improvement loans?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#137131 - 12/08/03 03:07 PM Re: Unsecured Home Improvement Loans
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
1. Only if you classify them as "home improvement" loans.

2. I don't think you can. This is a refinancing, but it doesn't meet the definition in HMDA (both must be dwelling secured).

3. I'll let someone else answer this one.

This is why I've been encouraging bankers to not report unsecured (or non-dwelling secured) HI loans as HMDA anymore. If you only report dwelling secured HI loans, there is a consistent purpose and collateral test for all types of HMDA loans: home purchase, HI and refinancings all must be dwelling secured.

If you don't go with this: if you are going to report non-dwelling secured HI loans, then you have a problem with the "logic" (I know, I know, I shouldn't mention logic and HMDA in the same sentence). If you report a CD secured HI loan, when it refinances, you can't report it again.

Return to Top
#137132 - 12/09/03 01:56 PM Re: Unsecured Home Improvement Loans
KYAuditor Offline
100 Club
KYAuditor
Kentucky
3. Loans are reported on the call report by call class code which refers to the collateral securing the loan.

Return to Top
#137133 - 12/09/03 08:14 PM Re: Unsecured Home Improvement Loans
bean Offline
100 Club
Dave:

I just want to make sure I am reading your response correctly.
For #2 your response indicates that both loans have to be dwelling secured. I thought that is the new definition not the old for 2003?
Am I not interpreting your response correctly?

Thanks

Return to Top
#137134 - 12/09/03 08:48 PM Re: Unsecured Home Improvement Loans
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
The refinancing of an unsecured HI loan into another unsecured loan is not reprotable unless there are new funds advanced for HI.

Return to Top
#137135 - 12/10/03 04:28 AM Re: Unsecured Home Improvement Loans
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:

Dave:

I just want to make sure I am reading your response correctly.
For #2 your response indicates that both loans have to be dwelling secured. I thought that is the new definition not the old for 2003?
Am I not interpreting your response correctly?

Thanks

Yes, I'm giving you the 2004 rules. I assumed you were doing training on the new rules. Why would you be doing training on the 2003 rules?

Return to Top
#137136 - 12/10/03 01:59 PM Re: Unsecured Home Improvement Loans
Anonymous
Unregistered

Let's beat this home improvement horse to death......I've read where some banks are choosing not to report unsecured HI loans because it will be less confusing at refinance time since they would have to be dwelling secured to be reported again. Are those banks also NOT going to report HI loans that are secured for say a CD for the same reason? (they would be reported the first time (assuming they are classified as HI), but not at refi time because they also are not dwelling secured). Or putting it another way, are the banks saying THEY WILL ONLY REPORT DWELLING-SECURED HI LOANS after 1-1-04?????

Return to Top
#137137 - 12/10/03 03:42 PM Re: Unsecured Home Improvement Loans
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:

Let's beat this home improvement horse to death......I've read where some banks are choosing not to report unsecured HI loans because it will be less confusing at refinance time since they would have to be dwelling secured to be reported again. Are those banks also NOT going to report HI loans that are secured for say a CD for the same reason? (they would be reported the first time (assuming they are classified as HI), but not at refi time because they also are not dwelling secured). Or putting it another way, are the banks saying THEY WILL ONLY REPORT DWELLING-SECURED HI LOANS after 1-1-04?????

Yes, that's exactly right. See my first post above. If you adopt this method, you will always have a collateral test and purpose test for HMDA.

Return to Top
#137138 - 12/10/03 04:42 PM Re: Unsecured Home Improvement Loans
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you DD ...you are the best (ok, ok, one of the best........)

Return to Top