Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Thread Options
#1365226 - 03/28/10 08:30 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans vlg
Sheldon Hendrix Offline
Diamond Poster
Sheldon Hendrix
South
Where can I find the rates for the programs listed under "Federal Loan Alternatives"?

Also, how often should they be updated?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1365227 - 03/28/10 08:54 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans Sheldon Hendrix
Sheldon Hendrix Offline
Diamond Poster
Sheldon Hendrix
South
Another question - what disclosures under 12 CFR 226.18 are required to be with the approval and acceptance disclosures? We have included: prepayment, security interest, identity of creditor. What else?

Return to Top
#1365760 - 03/29/10 08:35 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans Sheldon Hendrix
Comply 101 Offline
Platinum Poster
Comply 101
Why oh why would we want to make a $2000 loan to someone, when the disclosures basically tell the consumer not to go with us because there is a better deal down the street (vis FAFSA). Can anyone tell me how much money a bank makes on a $2000 loan anyways? Then to throw in all this disclosure madness? Certifications, rights of recission, etc. etc. etc.????

Is anybody else on board with me to just not do these loans? I thought in all my years of compliance I would never recommend to NOT do a certain loan product because of regulatory BS, but I think the time has finally come.

OK my rant is over. Thanks.

Return to Top
#1365790 - 03/29/10 08:59 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans vlg
vlg Offline
vlg
The text in the orginal proposal stated
Quote:
does not include open-end credit or any loan that is secured by real property or a dwelling.
Quote:

Is any one relying on the proposal to determine which loans can be excluded form the special rules for education loans?

Return to Top
#1365800 - 03/29/10 09:10 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans Comply 101
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Originally Posted By: BSA guy
Is anybody else on board with me to just not do these loans?
We're not extending any.....wasn't my decision. Management said nuthin' doing. My guess is.....not just my bank, but banks across the nation......no bank will have any, because somehow an education purpose for a loan will just mysteriously never occur....... wink

Return to Top
#1365986 - 03/30/10 12:54 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans swiggles
manylayers Offline
Gold Star
manylayers
PA
Compliance....the rates for federal loans are based upon the 1 year T-Bill on July 1. This should be posted on the Dept. of Ed. site.

Return to Top
#1365999 - 03/30/10 01:09 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans Comply 101
SnuffytheSeal Offline
Gold Star
State of Confusion
Is anybody else on board with me to just not do these loans? I thought in all my years of compliance I would never recommend to NOT do a certain loan product because of regulatory BS, but I think the time has finally come. [/quote]

We are not making them.

Return to Top
#1366275 - 03/30/10 04:35 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans SnuffytheSeal
Sheldon Hendrix Offline
Diamond Poster
Sheldon Hendrix
South
Here's another question - are the disclosures in lieu of the standard TIL? I never see it expressly stated, but believe its implied in 226.17(a), and 226.47(c).

Here's our issue: Our standard consumer notes are printing with the same old TIL on the top. Is there an issue with this since it will disclose certain terms (APR) more conspicuously, and other terms (interest rate) less conspicuously than required by 226.47(c)?

Return to Top
#1367491 - 03/31/10 09:12 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans Sheldon Hendrix
MyKidsMom Offline
Platinum Poster
MyKidsMom
TEXAS
We aren't making them but we have some we will have to renew... in this case, when is approval?

Return to Top
#1368007 - 04/01/10 06:01 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans BLPage
Insanity Queen Offline
100 Club
Does it matter who is taking out the education loan? In reading the regulation, it mentions student or parent, but what if another relative takes out a personal unsecured loan so they can give money to another relative for their tuition? Would that also be considered an education loan? For example, an aunt takes out a $3,000 personal loan so she can gift money to a favorite niece for her college tuition.... In this case, the student is not personally taking out the loan, nor is a parent of the student. Do the requirements of the regulation still apply?

Return to Top
#1371601 - 04/08/10 09:42 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans Insanity Queen
Farm Girl Offline
Missouri
We use Wolters Kluwer Arta Lending software for our loans. We can acess the approval disclosure and the final disclosure but not the application/solicitation disclosure. When I called Wolters Kluwer, they stated they would not be supporting this disclosure nor supporting loans that were strictly private education loans; only multi-purpose education loans.
The second problem I have is you are required to disclose the bankruptcy limitations and when I spoke to our attorney, he stated that in order to get our loan discharged, he would have to know exactly how much of the loan proceeds were used for education. Therefore, I'm thinking on a multi purpose private education loan, we will need some kind of documentation from the borrower(s)as to how much of the loan proceeds were used for education purposes.
Anyone have any thoughts about these items??????

Return to Top
#1372272 - 04/09/10 07:59 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans Farm Girl
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Any Credit Unions out there using the Open-end Loan Liner agreements? If so, any opinions from CUNA if Loan Liner is exempt because they are "technically" open-end?

(Yeah - and the wackiest open-end loan you'll ever see, but CU's and their members love 'em!)

Return to Top
#1374247 - 04/14/10 08:33 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans Princess Romeo
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Can the proposed forms be amended to add signature lines? I am looking at the model forms in the reg and there are no lines.

Return to Top
#1374472 - 04/15/10 02:05 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans Book Nerd
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Originally Posted By: Laffy Taffy
I contacted one of our regulators about the approval disclosures on multi-purpose applications. I stated that we don't offer "student loans" per se, but under the regulation, we could end up with a HEOA loan. I asked if we could skip the application disclosures, since the application can be used for multiple purposes, and we won't necessarily know up front if the loan is for educational purposes.

He stated that if the application states that the purpose is solely for educational purposes, then we still have to provide the application disclosures. If the loan purpose is broken up between educational and something else, then the application disclosures are not required.

I still don't agree with his answer, and I even quoted the part of the regulation that backed up my interpretation. I'm curious to know if anyone has received a different response from their regulator?

I had a former regulator turned consultant once tell me, never contact your regulator and ask a question unless you already know the answer.

Return to Top
#1374593 - 04/15/10 03:21 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans DD Regs
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Originally Posted By: DD Regs
I had a former regulator turned consultant once tell me, never contact your regulator and ask a question unless you already know the answer.

That is our stance on the issue. smile

Return to Top
#1376200 - 04/19/10 02:45 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans BLPage
Burgess Offline
Diamond Poster
Vo Tech - post secondary education? Don't have to have a high school diploma, but on the other hand the students there are eligible for govt guaranteed student loans.

Return to Top
#1376784 - 04/19/10 08:37 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans Burgess
Jaeger Schnitzel Offline
Gold Star
Jaeger Schnitzel
Oregon
My FI decided not to make private education loans to avoid the disclosure nightmare. Well, guess what, one slipped through. Apparently they didn't know that refinancing a student loan counted. Does anyone know what our next step should be? We're researching cure provisions, but nobody around here knows what, if any, cure provisions/reimbursement procedures there are for this kind of violation. Thanks for any help smirk

Return to Top
#1376785 - 04/19/10 08:40 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans Jaeger Schnitzel
Jaeger Schnitzel Offline
Gold Star
Jaeger Schnitzel
Oregon
oh, and Burgess, look at the definitions in 46(b)(1) Covered Educational Institution. It would appear that a vocational school would qualify.

Return to Top
#1382370 - 04/27/10 07:30 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans BLPage
MotherCompliance Offline
New Poster
Hey BSA Guy, I am with you. There is too much BS to offer these loans.
Does anyone make "account loans"? If so, how are you applying all of this? We haven't had an account loan with this particular purpose yet, but just imagine telling a customer that they have to wait 3 days to get their money! That should go over well.

Return to Top
#1385077 - 05/03/10 06:56 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans MotherCompliance
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Are ya'll using the Federal School Code List to decide whether Federal funds are available and would meet the requirement for disclosures if we made the loan?

We have one for crop dusting, and some crop dusting educational programs do have Fed loans available...but maybe because they have an affiliation with a covered school?

We're wondering if we can rely on the facts that
1) the school is not affiliated with a covered institution and
2) they themselves are not listed on the federal list

as justification that disclosures would not apply?!?

Just when we figure we won't be doing them...this crops up!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1385287 - 05/04/10 11:55 AM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans Princess Romeo
SnuffytheSeal Offline
Gold Star
State of Confusion
Originally Posted By: Princess Rooney
Any Credit Unions out there using the Open-end Loan Liner agreements? If so, any opinions from CUNA if Loan Liner is exempt because they are "technically" open-end?

(Yeah - and the wackiest open-end loan you'll ever see, but CU's and their members love 'em!)

Hey Princess...it's not "technically" open-end...it's "Clopened"!!! We are a CU and we are actually moving off of LoanLiner for our unsecured Lines of Credit. While CUNA is standing behind the open ended concept, we have decided to move to closed for car loans and personal loans.

Return to Top
#1386640 - 05/06/10 12:08 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans SnuffytheSeal
goingtoexperts Offline
100 Club
The Federal Loan Alternatives Chart on model forms H-18 and H-19 contain a reference to the "Federal Family Education Loan". With the elimination of FFELP starting July 1, 2010, has there been any guidance as to what changes are required/permissible to this section of these forms? Thank you.

Return to Top
#1397625 - 05/28/10 01:38 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans goingtoexperts
ahou Offline
Power Poster
ahou
On a PEL, if a consumer rescinds, do we have to refund fees? (is that what "without penalty" means?)

Return to Top
#1397634 - 05/28/10 01:52 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans ahou
ahou Offline
Power Poster
ahou
Nevermind - I found the answer - the answer is NO.

Return to Top
#1400194 - 06/07/10 02:18 PM Re: FRB 3/11 ANPR Reg Z Amend on College Student Loans ahou
Valley Girl Offline
100 Club
So what are the consequences if a bank makes a PEL but doesn't realize it until after the loan has closed and therefore the disclosures were not given and funds were disbursed the same day the loan closed (no rescission period)?

Return to Top
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderator:  Andy_Z