Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1360557 - 03/19/10 01:19 PM Re: Prayers for my son struggling with Bipolar BrendaC
lucyc Offline
Diamond Poster
lucyc
Yesterday we had the appointment for the alternative school and it costs $23,900 per year. That's way more than I can afford. They mentioned scholarships and that they will call me to discuss further.

My son scratched to the point of bleeding himself yesterday because he was stressed out about a test. I asked him how he would feel about going for inpatient treatment and he said he migh have to.

I'm waiting to see what today brings.

Return to Top
#1360574 - 03/19/10 01:31 PM Re: Prayers for my son struggling with Bipolar lucyc
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
I am so sorry for your son's struggles. I suffer from stress-related hives and I can't imagine having to go thru that as a teen, much less on top of all he's going thru. Prayers coming your way from Oklahoma!

Edit reason - can't spell this early on a Friday.
Last edited by Okie Banker; 03/19/10 01:31 PM.

Return to Top
#1367490 - 03/31/10 09:11 PM Re: Prayers for my son struggling with Bipolar lucyc
soonergirl23 Offline
New Poster
Yes absolutely, your family will be in my prayers. My husband suffers from Bipolar and has been treated for it for 6 1/2 years now. He is currently on Lithium Bicarbonated which is a mood stabilizer. It took us a good 9 months of treatment before we found something that worked and able to get his bipolar stablized. Might ask about the Lithium...it has been a god-send for us. Good luck

Return to Top
#1367633 - 04/01/10 12:15 PM Re: Prayers for my son struggling with Bipolar soonergirl23
lucyc Offline
Diamond Poster
lucyc
Thanks for the prayers.

We took him to visit his grandparents since he's on Spring Break this week. His mood was improving until we got back home. The first night we got back he asked if a friend of his could sleep over for a couple of days. He has known this kid since middle school and this kid has stayed over our house before. The second day his friend was over my son told me that he couldn't find his Ipod. My son and I searched his room and I asked his friend if he's seen my son's Ipod to which he replied no. My intuition told me otherwise and sure enough we found my son's Ipod in his friend's bag. I confronted his friend about it and he denied it. He said maybe he accidentally grabbed it when he changed his clothes and threw them in his bag. Sounded like a good story but his clothes were neatly packed and my son's Ipod was placed in between the clothes. We told his friend he had to leave and he was not welcome back in our house. I have yet to tell his friend's parents. I'm hesitant about telling them since my son told me they are drinkers and I'm afraid they will take the punishment too far.

We have an appt with my son's psychiatrist next week. I'm going to ask him about prescribing Xanax to him so he can get through a dental procedure to help with his extreme needle phobia.

I've also left two messgaes with the hospital sponsored day treatment program to find out whether or not my insurance will cover their services. It sounds like a great alternative to mainstream school.

Return to Top
#1367681 - 04/01/10 01:23 PM Re: Prayers for my son struggling with Bipolar lucyc
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
You and your son remain in my prayers. Good to see an update.

Return to Top
#1367761 - 04/01/10 02:16 PM Re: Prayers for my son struggling with Bipolar corkygirl
lucyc Offline
Diamond Poster
lucyc
Thanks Corkygirl for your advice and prayers.

Return to Top
#1367911 - 04/01/10 04:26 PM Re: Prayers for my son struggling with Bipolar lucyc
BowlingQueen Offline
Power Poster
Wisconsin
I hope things will continue to improve for him......even if it's little by little.

I have good news to report regarding my son. He left for Marine bootcamp a month ago....and by his reports, he is doing very, VERY well. He is the leader of his platoon, in fact. Maybe this was just the boost he needed. He still has 8 weeks to go, but keep your fingers crossed.

I will continue to pray for your son as well. smile

Return to Top
#1367943 - 04/01/10 04:51 PM Re: Prayers for my son struggling with Bipolar BowlingQueen
lucyc Offline
Diamond Poster
lucyc
That's great news, you must be so proud.

Return to Top
#1368017 - 04/01/10 06:09 PM Re: Prayers for my son struggling with Bipolar lucyc
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Bipolar is such a pain as an ongoing disease. My nearly 37 yr old son has been manic for maybe 3 or 4 years and his sliding into the depression now - the pendulum has swung again. frown He told me in a phone call yesterday that his dyke is leaking in 12 places and he only has 10 fingers to plug up the leaks. Seeing his dr weekly now and working to get stable again : sigh : Momma is trying not to worry and to hand him over to God whenever he comes to mind.

Return to Top
#1368192 - 04/01/10 08:41 PM Re: Prayers for my son struggling with Bipolar corkygirl
BowlingQueen Offline
Power Poster
Wisconsin
My prayers to you Corky as well.

My son was never officially diagnosed with bipolar......the hospital he was in a couple of years ago diagnosed him with a "mood disorder". Apparently, he didn't show all the traits of bipolar, but they still treated him with medication that he stayed on for several months....and then he decided not to take anymore because he "didn't need it".

I am proud of my son. He still has a long road ahead of him, but I pray that he will continue to succeed. smile

Return to Top
#1368398 - 04/02/10 12:11 PM Re: Prayers for my son struggling with Bipolar BowlingQueen
lucyc Offline
Diamond Poster
lucyc
Corky, prayers from Florida for you and your son.

Return to Top
#1368608 - 04/02/10 04:28 PM Re: Prayers for my son struggling with Bipolar lucyc
FloBear Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
I'm sure you already have, but the Dentist needs to know in advance about the bi-polar and needle-phobia and the xanax. He may need to adjust procedure in order to make it easier on your son. Positive thoughts that it goes well and without any problems.

Return to Top
#1368839 - 04/02/10 07:56 PM Re: Prayers for my son struggling with Bipolar FloBear
lucyc Offline
Diamond Poster
lucyc
Yes my son and I discussed his issues with the Dentist during our consultation.

Thanks for the advice though.

Return to Top
#1371144 - 04/08/10 02:12 PM Re: Prayers for my son struggling with Bipolar lucyc
lucyc Offline
Diamond Poster
lucyc
I just received a distressing text from my son.

Please continue to keep him in your prayers.

Thanks.

Return to Top
#1371178 - 04/08/10 02:37 PM Re: Prayers for my son struggling with Bipolar lucyc
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I will - and have continued to do so.

Return to Top
#1373481 - 04/13/10 06:49 PM Re: Prayers for my son struggling with Bipolar Skittles
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
I am so sorry Corky regarding your son- prayers that he will come through soon and be ok.

LVC- I can't imagine even what you are going through with your young son. My sister was older when she tested for bipolar. Praying that God helps him every day of his life and also helps you get through it.

BQ- Congrats on your son and many good wishes and prayers that he continues to shine.

Return to Top
#1376070 - 04/19/10 12:44 PM Re: Prayers for my son struggling with Bipolar pjs
lucyc Offline
Diamond Poster
lucyc
I thought I would provide an update.

Last week my son and I had an appt for an assessment to participate in the hospital sponsored program. He would attend 4 classes during the day and the rest of the day would be for therapy. During our appt the social worker described in more detail the potential candidates for the program. Based on what she told us we decided this program wouldn't be appropriate for my son.

My son also had an appt with the county psychologist at school. He said this went well. He seemed to have a more positive outlook about staying in that school since he sees that steps are being taken to provide him with support.

I took Friday off to take him to his dentist appt and that didn't go well at all. As soon as my son saw the needle he went into a full fledged panic attack despite the fact that he took Xanax prior to the appt. The dentist told me the only other option is to contact a dentist he knows will perform the procedure on an outpatient basis with no needles just gas.

To top of my weekend my brother, who was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer, had a severe anxiety attack and admitted himself into the psychiatric unit at our local hospital.

Please continue with your thoughts and prayers.

Thanks.

Return to Top
#1376171 - 04/19/10 02:19 PM Re: Prayers for my son struggling with Bipolar lucyc
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
It's a rough road but you guys are well on your way!!! Continued support and prayers!!

Return to Top
#1376395 - 04/19/10 05:12 PM Re: Prayers for my son struggling with Bipolar pjs
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
Originally Posted By: pjs
I am so sorry Corky regarding your son- prayers that he will come through soon and be ok.

LVC- I can't imagine even what you are going through with your young son. My sister was older when she tested for bipolar. Praying that God helps him every day of his life and also helps you get through it.

BQ- Congrats on your son and many good wishes and prayers that he continues to shine.

My brother was/is in his 40's when he was diagnosed. His son, who is in his early 20's was also diagnosed. My brother has his pretty much under control but they have been having problems with thier son. My prayers go out to all who suffer or take care of/love someone who suffers.

Return to Top
#1376481 - 04/19/10 06:07 PM Re: Prayers for my son struggling with Bipolar madukes
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
lvc, your son continues to be in my prayers. Two steps forward and one step back is pretty common.

Return to Top
#1376921 - 04/20/10 11:48 AM Re: Prayers for my son struggling with Bipolar corkygirl
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
Prayers and good thoughts always for you and your son. Think about you both often.

Return to Top
#1377294 - 04/20/10 05:02 PM Re: Prayers for my son struggling with Bipolar pjs
East Texas Offline
Diamond Poster
East Texas
Bless your heart! I pray that God will give you all the strength you need to walk this pathway. He doesn't always take away the trial, but He will always walk with us on the journey.

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33

Return to Top
#1377648 - 04/20/10 09:10 PM Re: Prayers for my son struggling with Bipolar East Texas
FloBear Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
I am so sorry the dental visit didn't go well!! I hope he doesn't have any pain while you try to find a way he can tolerate.

Good News about staying in school!

Return to Top
#1381034 - 04/23/10 08:59 PM Re: Prayers for my son struggling with Bipolar FloBear
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Thought you all might be interested in this:

Tune into Discovery Health Channel for Psych Week

Six Nights of Understanding - Sunday, May 2 through Friday, May 7

Over 1 in 4 Americans meet the criteria for having a mental illness-but we rarely see or hear about it. This May, Discovery Health will tackle one of the most important issues facing us today: mental health. Covering a spectrum of addictions and afflictions, Discovery Health offers an in-depth look at a variety of rare and common mental disorders through the eyes of the people who live with them.

ANXIOUS
Sunday, May 2 at 9 PM ET/PT

ENRAGED
Sunday, May 2 at 10 PM ET/PT

THE WOMAN WITH 15 PERSONALITIES
Monday, May 3 at 9 PM ET/PT BORN SCHIZOPHRENIC
Tuesday, May 4 at 9 PM ET/PT

MY STRANGE ADDICTION
Wednesday, May 5 at 9 PM ET/PT

BIPOLAR MYSTERIES: FAMILIES IN CRISIS
Thursday, May 6 at 9 PM ET/PT

Explore Psych Week at Discovery Health
& Be sure to check out Loraine Kaplan's blog and other real life stories from real parents throughout Psych Week.

Return to Top
#1381045 - 04/23/10 09:06 PM Re: Prayers for my son struggling with Bipolar corkygirl
FloBear Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
Thanks for the heads up!!

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett