Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1380539 - 04/23/10 04:40 PM Stop Payment Check returned as an ACH.
ddiver Offline
Sometimes a check that has had a stop payment order applied is returned as an ACH. Are we obligated to place an indefinite hold on the ACH and are we required to report this to the consumer. We currently do not notify the customer of the ACH conversion and subsequent stop hold?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1380895 - 04/23/10 07:45 PM Re: Stop Payment Check returned as an ACH. ddiver
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
When I managed an ops area for a credit union, our process for placing a stop payment on a check evolved to include placing the same stop payment on the ACH side. They only signed the check stop payment form and paid the one fee - since technically you're only stopping the check transaction.

Our core processing system had a field for "check number" for the ACH side as well. Which meant that if you placed a stop payment for check # 2101 for the amount of $211.90, the stop would be effective on both the ACH and check processing side.

We did not notify the customer of the ACH stop hold or anything like that. We pretty much just took the stop payment order from the customer and ensured that the check would not be paid, whichever channel it came in through. I don't believe there is any requirement to tell the customer that his check might be presented via multiple channels.

Opinions expressed in these threads are my own and not my employer's.

Return to Top
#1381169 - 04/24/10 12:48 PM Re: Stop Payment Check returned as an ACH. Aggs
CheshireAliCat Offline
100 Club
NJ
Our system also allows us to stop an item as both Check and ACH. Both sides do expire at 6 months, though, and we tell our customers that.

Return to Top
#1381478 - 04/26/10 05:19 PM Re: Stop Payment Check returned as an ACH. CheshireAliCat
FloBear Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
On the ACH side wouldn't you have to leave the stop on until --withdrawn or until the debit entry is returned?

Return to Top
#1381662 - 04/26/10 08:37 PM Re: Stop Payment Check returned as an ACH. FloBear
derup Offline
100 Club
WISCONSIN
I believe that is correct, since it's an ACH debit the new rules effective March 19, 2010 state; "The stop payment order shall remain in effect until the earlier of 1)until written notice is received from the account holder to revoke the stop payment order 2)until payment of the entry has been stopped".

Return to Top
#1381666 - 04/26/10 08:37 PM Re: Stop Payment Check returned as an ACH. FloBear
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Depends on whether the account is a personal or business account and the type of transaction being stopped.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1381678 - 04/26/10 08:41 PM Re: Stop Payment Check returned as an ACH. derup
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I'll go back to my post and note here that that change did not affect business accounts.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1381710 - 04/26/10 09:07 PM Re: Stop Payment Check returned as an ACH. John Burnett
FloBear Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
Sorry, thought we were talking about just consumer accounts.

I understand the new NACHA rules and Reg E to also say that stop pays on recurring ACH debits must remain in effect for as long as entries covered by the stop order could be received (forever?)

All other ACH debits would be subject to the earlier of payment stopped or withdrawal.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett