Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1381503 - 04/26/10 05:43 PM Nice Job Mr. National Security Advisor
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Some people just don't get it, although removing this from the official transcript clearly shows that someone thought it inappropriate...

snipped

Quote:
National Security Adviser James Jones has stirred some controversy for a joke he told last week that depicted a member of the Taliban getting tricked by a Jewish merchant looking to make a sale.

Jones, a retired general, used the lengthy joke to break the ice before his address last Wednesday at an event honoring the 25th anniversary of the Washington Institute for Near East Policy. Interestingly, it was not included in the official White House-provided transcript of the speech.

The tale got some big laughs out of the room -- the institute is generally a pro-Israel organization -- but Jones' opening has gotten some attention in the Israeli press. Guests told the Israeli newspaper Ha'aretz that it could have been inappropriate.

Jones, in a deadpan voice, opened his remarks by saying he wanted to "set the stage" by telling a "story that I think is true" about something that happened recently in southern Afghanistan.

Here's what he said:

"A member of the Taliban was separated from his fighting party and wandered around for a few days in the desert, lost, out of food, no water. He looked on the horizon and he saw what looked like a little shack, and he walked toward that shack and as he got to it, turned out that it was a shack, a store, a little store owned by a Jewish merchant. And the Taliban warrior went up to him and said, 'I need water, get me some water.' And the merchant said, 'I'm sorry, I don't have any water, but would you like to buy a tie? We have a nice sale of ties today.'

"Whereupon the Taliban erupted into a stream of language that I can't repeat about Israel, about Jewish people, about the man himself, about his family -- and just saying 'I need water, you try to sell me ties, you people don't get it.'

"And passively, the merchant stood there until this Taliban was through with his diatribe and said, 'Well, I'm sorry but I don't have water for you and I forgive you for all of the insults you've levied against me, my family, my country, but I will help you out. If you go over that hill and walk about two miles there's a restaurant there, and they have all the water you'll need.'

"And the Taliban, instead of saying thanks, still muttering under his breath, disappears over the hill -- only to come back about an hour later and walking up to the merchant and says, 'Your brother tells me I need a tie in order to get into the restaurant.'"

The joke went unnoticed for a couple days but has since been picked up on several Web sites -- and then Ha'aretz published a write-up Monday on the fallout. One source told the Israeli newspaper that it "demonstrated a lack of sensitivity" and questioned what would happen if he told a "black joke" before a crowd of African Americans.

The White House did not have an immediate comment.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1381511 - 04/26/10 05:51 PM Re: Nice Job Mr. National Security Advisor HappyGilmore
Blind Guardian Offline
Platinum Poster
Stupid Talibanian....

Return to Top
#1381680 - 04/26/10 08:42 PM Re: Nice Job Mr. National Security Advisor Blind Guardian
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Nobody has a sense of humor anymore.

Return to Top
#1381715 - 04/26/10 09:09 PM Re: Nice Job Mr. National Security Advisor MyBrainHurts
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
So one day, a priest, a minister and a rabbi decide to go fishing........

Return to Top
#1381720 - 04/26/10 09:13 PM Re: Nice Job Mr. National Security Advisor Princess Romeo
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
I think the Anti-Defamation League should issue a proclamation, reminding the National Security Advisor of all the people who spoke badly about Jews that have been killed and hoping that a similar fate does not befall him.

Return to Top
#1381727 - 04/26/10 09:20 PM Re: Nice Job Mr. National Security Advisor straw
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
I thought our national security adviser was a woman, well, kind of....

Return to Top
#1381740 - 04/26/10 09:26 PM Re: Nice Job Mr. National Security Advisor Pale Rider
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: Pale
I thought our national security adviser was a woman, well, kind of....

He's a advisor, I believe the woman eek you are thinking of is the director...

Return to Top
#1381742 - 04/26/10 09:30 PM Re: Nice Job Mr. National Security Advisor HappyGilmore
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
I don't remember her name, all I can think of is chocolate, vanilla and strawberry ice cream....

Return to Top
#1381743 - 04/26/10 09:31 PM Re: Nice Job Mr. National Security Advisor HappyGilmore
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
While it's not the funniest joke I've ever heard, I don't think it's grossly insensitive.

Return to Top
#1381747 - 04/26/10 09:39 PM Re: Nice Job Mr. National Security Advisor Bacon Boy
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Did you hear the one about the feminine gay guy offering the Taliban a tie, but telling him it wouldn't go with his outfit?

Return to Top
#1381762 - 04/26/10 10:06 PM Re: Nice Job Mr. National Security Advisor straw
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
oh brother, this may have to be moved...

it is rather insensitive....where did the Jews get this reputation for being crafty sales staff?

Return to Top
#1381775 - 04/26/10 10:45 PM Re: Nice Job Mr. National Security Advisor straw
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
Hork!!

Return to Top
#1381776 - 04/26/10 10:47 PM Re: Nice Job Mr. National Security Advisor Pale Rider
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: Pale
oh brother, this may have to be moved...

it is rather insensitive....where did the Jews get this reputation for being crafty sales staff?

Great Simpsons a few weeks ago where they travel to Israel, excuse me, the Zionist entity, and their tour guide is voice by Sasha Cohen. You have to pull it up but I roll every time he says "shut your face, let's go".

Return to Top