Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1382497 - 04/27/10 09:27 PM perception vs reality
New to CRA Offline
I need your input. We have several witnesses that claim that employee A is possibly consuming drugs at work. There have been at least 3 corroborating this story but nobody has smelled or seen any drugs being consumed. This is based on comments that they have seen employee A slur her speech.

My issue is that there's no evidence other than the symptoms. As an supervisor, I feel I should be vigilant but can't come to a conclusion that this is a fact. I am doing this methodically to protect myself and my employer. However, my supervisor feels that I have not taken action to remedy this situation. I strongly disagree especially since none of the alledged witnesses anything substantive.

I feel that if this is the case, employee A will eventually get caught and we will have to dismiss. But only when sufficient facts are gathered.

Has anyone else experience anything remotely close to this situation and what advice could you offer. I must add that this employee has historically had excessive absenteeism and has been written up for it. I think she will continue that pattern will ultimately get "canned" for that very reason.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.

Return to Top
Human Resources
#1382501 - 04/27/10 09:32 PM Re: perception vs reality New to CRA
Jenn-Lynn Offline
Oklahoma
She may have a medical condition that causes her to slur her speech.

Return to Top
#1382502 - 04/27/10 09:35 PM Re: perception vs reality New to CRA
hrlady Offline
100 Club
Do you have a formal drug testing policy? What you have here is suspicion. There are some illnesses that can cause someone to have slurred speech, etc. I would address the performance and attendance issues first. From the little information you provided I don't see that you have grounds to terminate based on a perceived drug issue. Be careful - you could really open your organization up for a big law suit if you don't have all your ducks in a row.

Return to Top
#1382512 - 04/27/10 09:46 PM Re: perception vs reality hrlady
New to CRA Offline
you're absolutely correct hrlady...that's exactly what I'm trying to tell my supervisor. We're a small bank and she's also head of HR. We're more concerned about the rumors and the impact they may have than protecting ourselves from eventual legalities.

Return to Top
#1382801 - 04/28/10 03:22 PM Re: perception vs reality New to CRA
renniks Offline
Diamond Poster
renniks
New England
Going back to my old HR days (in the '80's).... I presented a program to all of our managers called "Substance Abuse in the Workplace". The bottom line is with suspected drug or alchohol use, focus on job performance only. Do not accuse. If the person in question has performance problems, address them. If there is drug or alchohol abuse, sooner or later there will be performace problems!

Return to Top
#1383371 - 04/28/10 11:56 PM Re: perception vs reality renniks
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
And that in my opinion is the way to handle it. I see banks that engage in drug testing without a solid program if they get a hit. You might have someone that recreationally uses a prohibited substance occasionally, you end up putting them through [censored] and possbily firing them, while six of thier peers sit there and perform half of thier work. If employers just stuck to the basics, their workforce could be twice as productive.

Return to Top
#1383443 - 04/29/10 12:57 PM Re: perception vs reality rlcarey
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I'd suggest that the next time she is slurring her speach, that someone notify the President and he call her to his office for a discussion on some benefits related topic. Then, if he notices the slurred speach, he can adress it with her at that time. Assuming, since she is the HR person, that she reports directly to the President anyway...

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry