BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1385297 - 05/04/10 12:38 PM Tennessee Flooding
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Any of our BOLers impacted? Saw in the paper today that the Gaylord Resort has up to 10 feet of water in it...I've stayed there 3 times for meetings and didn't even realize it was close to the river...

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1385304 - 05/04/10 12:46 PM Re: Tennessee Flooding HappyGilmore
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Rizzy is on high ground I think

Return to Top
#1385348 - 05/04/10 01:48 PM Re: Tennessee Flooding Pale Rider
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
My daughter and son-in-law live in Hendersonville which is northeast of Nashville and we happen to be down there visiting them over the weekend when this hit.

They live on a hill but there was so much water (15 inches in 2 days), that the water was coming up through the floor in their basement. Luckily the damage was not great as most of their basement is concrete but it did ruin the carpet and a couple walls have drywall that will need to be replaced.

I am so grateful that we were down their as my daughter is expecting on 10-10-10 and her husband was at work when the flooding started so we were able to get the stuff out of the basement and keep the water level down. We also got the last pump of any kind that Home Depot had to help.

It was unbelievable, the sights of I-24, Oprland Hotel, LP Field, downtown, etc.

We were stuck there until Monday and then is when got to see some of the damage as we were leaving. Amazing the power water has when it is unleashed like that.

That area will need help for a long time to recover and they need our prayers as many people died and have had their homes and businesses flooded.

Return to Top
#1385371 - 05/04/10 02:24 PM Re: Tennessee Flooding Creditcop
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
My nephew's wedding is next month in Franklin. Her folks live on a hill and last I heard had not been personally impacted but we are wondering about the restaurant they plan to have the dinner in...seems it may be questionable?

I haven't had an update since Sunday.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1385437 - 05/04/10 03:04 PM Re: Tennessee Flooding RR Joker
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
The water level is falling and should be under flood stage by Wednesday in most places from what I have heard. The bad news is that rain is in the forecast for Friday and Saturday.

Return to Top
#1385479 - 05/04/10 03:35 PM Re: Tennessee Flooding Creditcop
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
This is an email from a former coworker who lives outside of Nashville -

We just got our power back on last night [Sunday night] after one whole day without power. We were stranded in our neighborhood due to flooding and downed power lines from Saturday afternoon until last night. Sunday morning at 6:15, we experienced straight line winds in our neighborhood, and the damage to the trees and area homes is incredible - tornado-like. In our small neighborhood, there are over 100 trees down along with power lines and many windows blown out. Our house was one of a few that managed to have very little damage. Meanwhile, the flood waters keep rising and the downtown Nashville area is flooding. Downtown Hendersonville is also under water. It's a sad sight around here.
Straight-line wind damage will push debris in the same direction the wind is blowing (hence the creation of the term straight-line). Tornado damage will scatter debris in a variety of different directions since the winds of a tornado rotate violently. Straight-line wind intensity can be as powerful as a tornado. Like me, some people believe a tornado occurred when it reality it was a straight line wind. I thought we had a tornado since I heard it and could not see out the window due to debris. A neighbor corrected me and told me what it was a straight line wind which is produced by severe thunderstorms. Either way - the impact is devastating.
--------------

I think I'll stay here in earthquake country!

Return to Top
#1385773 - 05/04/10 07:26 PM Re: Tennessee Flooding califgirl
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
My daughter's home is in Hendersonville and when one reporter was commenting about one of the main roads being flooded all of the sudden he said: wow, there are 3 fish swimming up the road. Those must have been some large fish for him to see them.

The damage is incredible and tv while the coverage has been great locally, can not give people the full impact of the damage. I can remember seeing a nearby town that was hit by a tornado on tv and the next day I had to go through the town and the damage in person gives you the true impact.

Our prayers are with all of those in the area.

Return to Top
#1385796 - 05/04/10 07:39 PM Re: Tennessee Flooding califgirl
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
Here are some pictures that Julie Roberts, the country singer took. The bottom one is I-24.

Nashville flooding

Return to Top
#1385804 - 05/04/10 07:44 PM Re: Tennessee Flooding Creditcop
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
can't get the link to open Cc, might be just my filters though..

Return to Top
#1385943 - 05/04/10 09:46 PM Re: Tennessee Flooding Pale Rider
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
All is safe where I live. We only had severe storms and minor flash flooding. Creeks are out of their banks and some roads flooded.
I work in Franklin that was hard hit but nothing like to the west and north.
Franklin

Nashville is just sad. I imagine when the river finally goes down, they will find lots more bodies. Especially from the enormous homeless population that called the river banks home frown

Nashville Neighborhood

Titans Stadium
Downtown Nashville - Water up to awnings at Joe's Crab Shack
Inside the "Cascades Lobby" at Opryland Hotel
Grand Ole Opry

Return to Top
#1385949 - 05/04/10 09:53 PM Re: Tennessee Flooding Mrs. Rizzo
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
There are several galleries here:
http://www.tennessean.com/section/PHOTO

There are also some pretty touching videos if you have access to Youtube. Just search for Nashville Flood.
If you are on Twitter, you can keep up by the hashtag #nashvilleflood

Also, if you want to help out - Text "REDCROSS" to 90999 to donate $10 for flood relief efforts.

Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/wearenashville

Great Post: http://www.section303.com/we-are-nashville-4366

Return to Top
#1385951 - 05/04/10 09:56 PM Re: Tennessee Flooding Creditcop
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
Originally Posted By: Creditcop

The damage is incredible and tv while the coverage has been great locally, can not give people the full impact of the damage.

This is so very true and I hated to sound off on FB last night but if Nashville and the surroudning areas were full of looters and people acting like nuts, we'd be all over the news. It's just sad to think what's newsworthy and what gets ignored.

Return to Top
#1385954 - 05/04/10 09:57 PM Re: Tennessee Flooding Mrs. Rizzo
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
That's sad. frown

Glad that you're OK though Riz.

My daughter thinks that the earth is mad at us for ruining it so much with polution and such and this and the earthquakes is the revenge it's taking on people.

Return to Top
#1386050 - 05/05/10 12:56 PM Re: Tennessee Flooding bOaty
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Rizzo - glad you're okay. I have realtives in Burns and Henderson(ville?), all are well but unable to work; one works at the Gaylord, another for the state, and 2 others in the music business. Gonna be a muddy mess for a long time once the water recedes.

Return to Top
#1386051 - 05/05/10 12:58 PM Re: Tennessee Flooding HappyGilmore
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
My husband is supposed to go to a meeting in Knoxville next week. We're wondering if he's going to be able toget there (driving up from south GA).

Return to Top
#1386090 - 05/05/10 01:39 PM Re: Tennessee Flooding RR Becca
Phoenix Offline
Platinum Poster
Phoenix
southeast
Rizzo - I gave sandwiches one evening to the "river rats" as a volunteer many years ago. My sense was, and is, that many of them had simply made the lifestyle choice to avoid what most of us would consider an involved, social, interactive way of life. They cared for the stray dogs they found and adopted, and they cared for each other. My hope and belief is that most had the basic smarts and survival skills to slip away to higher ground before the flooding really hit.

It's amazing and sad to see the effect of the flooding - prayers to all affected -

Return to Top
#1386132 - 05/05/10 02:22 PM Re: Tennessee Flooding RR Becca
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Becca--I live near Chattanooga. I haven't heard of any problems in our area or on the way to Knoxville. most of the flooding is in the Nashville area.

Return to Top
#1386317 - 05/05/10 04:47 PM Re: Tennessee Flooding Dani York, CRCM
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/05/flooding_in_tennessee.html?camp=localsearch:on:twit:bigpic

Return to Top
#1386323 - 05/05/10 04:52 PM Re: Tennessee Flooding Mrs. Rizzo
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
The whole thing is so sad... frown

Opinions expressed in these threads are my own and not my employer's.

Return to Top
#1386338 - 05/05/10 05:10 PM Re: Tennessee Flooding Aggs
NotPerfect Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
My brother lives near Nashville. According to FB, he's be out partying so where he is must be okay.

Return to Top
#1386343 - 05/05/10 05:14 PM Re: Tennessee Flooding Dani York, CRCM
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By: Dani York
Becca--I live near Chattanooga. I haven't heard of any problems in our area or on the way to Knoxville. most of the flooding is in the Nashville area.

Thanks, Dani.

Return to Top
#1387275 - 05/06/10 08:38 PM Re: Tennessee Flooding RR Becca
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Just heard from my sister that the Church and restaurants where my nephew's wedding stuff is going to be is okay...she was very relieve. (Franklin)

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1387371 - 05/06/10 10:07 PM Re: Tennessee Flooding RR Joker
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
That's great to hear, RRJ!!

Return to Top
#1387691 - 05/07/10 03:55 PM Re: Tennessee Flooding Mrs. Rizzo
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
For anyone needing a little perspective today...it could always be worse. You could have your life on the side of the street as trash: http://web12.twitpic.com/img/97068781-e7e60b4e51e9252b1156d0087228fe30.4be43782-scaled.jpg

Return to Top
#1387745 - 05/07/10 04:32 PM Re: Tennessee Flooding Mrs. Rizzo
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
link shows blank page frown

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2