Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#13869 - 03/22/02 08:11 PM Providing Credit Scores
Gotwood Offline
Platinum Poster
Does CA state law (or any other state for that matter)require lenders to provide consumers with their credit scores? I've been given a partial copy of a credit report where the cra is stating the lender must disclose the score. I know I haven't heard of any federal law.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#13870 - 03/22/02 09:01 PM Re: Providing Credit Scores
CalifDreamin Offline
Diamond Poster
CalifDreamin
Far from Calif
Yes, the law applies to applications for open-end or closed-end consumer credit that will be secured by a one-to-four family residential units (Calif. Civil Code Sect. 1785.20.2). Basically, if you use a credit score in making the credit decision (whether it is approved, denied or withdrawn), you must disclose certain information to the borrower as soon as reasonably practicable:
1. a copy of the credit score
2. the range of possible scores
3. the key factors that adversely affect the credit score (all relevant elements listed in order of their effect on the credit score)
4. the date the score was created
5. the name of the entity providing the score
6. the name, address, and phone number of each credit bureau providing a score that was used.
Always
Say
A
Prayer
<><

Return to Top
#13871 - 03/22/02 09:41 PM Re: Providing Credit Scores
Gotwood Offline
Platinum Poster
BD, thanks for the response and the cite in Cal civil code. It's information sharing like this that makes this forum so helpful.

Return to Top