Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1386831 - 05/06/10 04:19 PM Anyone ever been to Paris?
blvsinangels Offline
Gold Star
My daughter (16) and I are going to be vising Paris for 3 days in June! Has anyone ever been that can give me any tips or ideas for making the most of my three days!!! We plan to visit the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Versailles and the Louvre. I have been studying the metro map but I really don't understand it and I don't speak any French!!

Return to Top
#1386839 - 05/06/10 04:31 PM Re: Anyone ever been to Paris? blvsinangels
Sandy Beech Offline
Power Poster
Sandy Beech
^i^
I was there 9 years ago. It is amazing. The Louvre is HUGE! You could easily spend an entire day there.

The metro is easy to navigate. You'll be fine.

I'm pretty sure someone else in here has been more recently and can give you better info.

Return to Top
#1386849 - 05/06/10 04:40 PM Re: Anyone ever been to Paris? Sandy Beech
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
The Metro is easy, similar to the BART system.

I really enjoyed the Musee d'Orsay, Musee Rodin, and Cimetiere du Pere Lachaise. I wanted to tour the catacombs, but they were closed for maintenance.

Return to Top
#1386854 - 05/06/10 04:42 PM Re: Anyone ever been to Paris? Becka Marr
Sandy Beech Offline
Power Poster
Sandy Beech
^i^
OOO, go on a cruise on the Seine at night. It's so pretty with everything lit up. smile

Return to Top
#1386860 - 05/06/10 04:45 PM Re: Anyone ever been to Paris? Sandy Beech
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
PM FBH--he went this past year.

Return to Top
#1386879 - 05/06/10 05:07 PM Re: Anyone ever been to Paris? Dip
StarryNight Offline
100 Club
USA
I went went I was 19, which was about 6 years ago. There is so much to see, we only had about 3 days too. We toured the Eiffle Tower, the Lourve, Notre Dame, and Jim Morrison's gravesite! I hate to say I can remember what else we went to, but we spent a lot of time walking around the city and touring and it was beautiful. I went in June as well, it was really hot, and I remember there being several fountains that my sister and I would jump in to cool us down!
We also ate fresh bread like crazy there, I remember it being extra good. You will have so much fun with your daughter, she will remember that forever! smile

Return to Top
#1386907 - 05/06/10 05:24 PM Re: Anyone ever been to Paris? StarryNight
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: StarryNight
I went went I was 19, which was about 6 years ago. There is so much to see, we only had about 3 days too. We toured the Eiffle Tower, the Lourve, Notre Dame, and Jim Morrison's gravesite! I hate to say I can remember what else we went to, but we spent a lot of time walking around the city and touring and it was beautiful. I went in June as well, it was really hot, and I remember there being several fountains that my sister and I would jump in to cool us down!
We also ate fresh bread like crazy there, I remember it being extra good. You will have so much fun with your daughter, she will remember that forever! smile

crazy whistle

Return to Top
#1386937 - 05/06/10 05:45 PM Re: Anyone ever been to Paris? HappyGilmore
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
If you are only there for three days, you may want to pass on Versailles. The place is amazing and the grounds immense, but it in itself you could easily spend a full day there and the surrounding village, and that is not including the short (45 minutes to an hour??) train ride to and from, and you would still not do the palace and grounds justice.

If you want to make the most of your time, I would suggest saving Versailles for another trip.

Arc de Triomphe at night is great.

The metro system is very easy to read and navigate.

Pop into a Monoprix (french supermarket chain) early on if you can and get a feel for the names of some of the basic foodstuffs (meats, produce, dairy). This will help you in ordering your meals.

Learn the phrase "m'excusez-vous, parlez-vous anglais?" (Excuse me, do you speak English?) Most will smile and say yes smile

In the evenings, you say "bonsoir" (pronounced bon-swa for good evening) and not bonne nuit (bon-newie for good night). You only say bonne nuit if you plan on waking up next to them in the morning as well smile

Return to Top
#1387287 - 05/06/10 08:48 PM Re: Anyone ever been to Paris? #Just Jay
Big Sis Offline
I am so excited for you! We spent 10 days in Paris in September 2000 and it was amazing. Loved the Musee D'Orsay, Sacre Coeur,(and the artists set up near Sacre Coeur, which is fun) and check out any and all patisseries you pass by. The food was wonderful. Definitely take a Seine river cruise, but most of all wander the streets of the city and don't be afraid to go down the little side streets. There are hidden gems everywhere.
When I tried to speak french to waiters, clerks, etc. they would all take pity on me and ask if they could practice their english, so don't worry too much about the language barrier. I don't know why the French people have a reputation for disliking Americans because everyone we met was lovely and kind with the exception of one cafe owner.
Have a wonderful time!

Return to Top
#1387304 - 05/06/10 08:57 PM Re: Anyone ever been to Paris? Big Sis
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
mmmm... lemon and sugar crepes!

Sacre Coeur... very cool!! And just down the hill, and a short stroll through the red light district can be very eye opening! laugh

Return to Top
#1387315 - 05/06/10 09:07 PM Re: Anyone ever been to Paris? #Just Jay
Christina Offline
100 Club
Christina
Midwest
I agree - Metro is easy to navigate and Sacre Couer is beautiful.
I can't type it in French, but if you can learn to say "I am so broken hearted, I cannot speak French." you'll have the greatest experience ever! The French will appreciate the effort.

Enjoy just taking a walk around: experience the stores, shops, patisseries, etc. A crepe from a street vendor is a must. Crossing the street can be an experience - you'll never see a dent-free car in Paris.

Have you reserved your room yet? Do you have a private bathroom or do you share? Not as bad as it sounds, but I think a 16 year old needs some warning for that!

Also, get a "Map Easy" map of Paris. It is a cartoon-style map that is easy to use and has all kinds of recommendations for attractions, restaurants, coffee, etc.

Return to Top
#1387335 - 05/06/10 09:20 PM Re: Anyone ever been to Paris? Christina
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
don't order a quarter pounder at mcdonald's, they'll look at you with a blank stare. it is called a royale with cheese!

Return to Top
#1387773 - 05/07/10 05:01 PM Re: Anyone ever been to Paris? HappyGilmore
StarryNight Offline
100 Club
USA
Originally Posted By: WorldCupRules
Originally Posted By: StarryNight

crazy whistle

Haha, I didn't say I remembered forever, but SHE will! wink Did I mention I enjoyed the wine?!
Last edited by StarryNight; 05/07/10 06:11 PM.
Return to Top
#1387855 - 05/07/10 06:09 PM Re: Anyone ever been to Paris? StarryNight
East Texas Offline
Diamond Poster
East Texas
I've been to Paris, Tx.....

Return to Top
#1387949 - 05/07/10 07:23 PM Re: Anyone ever been to Paris? East Texas
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
I went in 2005 and loved it. My absolute favs were the Musee D'Orsay, Sacre Coeur,and the artists set up near Sacre Coeur, and the Eiffel Tower at night. I agree with the river tour at nite. I always regret that I didn't buy a small tiny painting from an artist.

Our funniest moment was entering the Louvre. Passed a youngun' on her way out that said (gotta include the accent) "If eye see another picture of Jeasus A'hm just gonna scream". We thought that was hysterical. I hate to say it - but the Louvre is so busy and packed at all times it's almost not worth it. The Mona Lisa is a tiny picture and you just can't even get near her to see.

The Metro is super duper easy to navigate. You will have so much fun.

Return to Top
#1387960 - 05/07/10 07:36 PM Re: Anyone ever been to Paris? HRH Okie Banker
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
I agree with the Monsa Lisa, meh, skip it... but Napolean's apartment... a can't miss!

Return to Top
#1388520 - 05/10/10 06:28 PM Re: Anyone ever been to Paris? Dip
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
The Land of Tax Free Shopping!
Originally Posted By: Dip
PM FBH--he went this past year.

If you only have time for one museum, make it the Louvre. It's fantastic! The French Army museum is pretty cool too, if you're into that sort of thing (weapons, armor, guns, tanks, , uniforms, etc...and Napolean's tomb is there). It's call L'armee musee, I think. Or the Orsay museum. But the Louvre would be the call.

The basics: Eiffel Tower, L'Arc de Triomphe, Champs Elysees, Notre Dame, Sacre Coeur, boat tour on the Seine would be awesome! I did that in Amsterdam, and for some reason didn't think about it while I was in Paris.

The Palace at Versailles is amazing, but it's a full day essentially to go there, see it, and get back to Paris. If you go, make sure you stop at the Versailles tourist Center (right when you turn the corner for the walk up to Versaille), you can buy tickets there - it's a much shorter line than at the Palace!

Eat at a cafe, and get the onion soup. It's fantastic!!

Paris itself is amazing - when you get off the beaten track a bit, there's all kinds of fun stuff to do, and the architecture is impressive. The whole city's basically a museum!

Enjoy! I'm jealous...But in the process of planning this year's adventure (one of the few perks to being single with no kids and disposable income wink )!

Feel free to PM me if you have other questions.

Return to Top
#1388542 - 05/10/10 06:48 PM Re: Anyone ever been to Paris? FBH
blvsinangels Offline
Gold Star
Thanks for all the tips! I am so excited and just can't wait! This is actually a school trip, but my daughter and I are going a few days early to see Paris! We are joining the 'class' in Madrid and are also going to Barcelona, Capri, Rome, Pisa and the French Riveria (hope I am spelling those correctly!!) it should be a great trip!

Return to Top
#1388552 - 05/10/10 06:57 PM Re: Anyone ever been to Paris? blvsinangels
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
Originally Posted By: blvsinangels
Thanks for all the tips! I am so excited and just can't wait! This is actually a school trip, but my daughter and I are going a few days early to see Paris! We are joining the 'class' in Madrid and are also going to Barcelona, Capri, Rome, Pisa and the French Riveria (hope I am spelling those correctly!!) it should be a great trip!

Wow! Now I am REALLY jealous. That sounds like a fun trip!

Return to Top
#1388622 - 05/10/10 07:43 PM Re: Anyone ever been to Paris? FBH
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
so they don't call it "French" onion soup?

Return to Top
#1388677 - 05/10/10 08:12 PM Re: Anyone ever been to Paris? HappyGilmore
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
I was there in '99. I remember that only because there was a countdown clock on the Eiffel Tower. We lived in Germany at the time and drove to and around Paris, so I won't be much help with the Metro system. I hear it's simply, though.

In 3 days, I would recommend spending an entire day at Versailles. That was simply my favorite part of the trip. I didn't tour the castle, although I would recommend it. Instead, I walked the grounds and looked at all the fountains and gardens, etc. It is simply breathtaking. Pack a lunch by visiting a deli and getting some fresh bread, meats and cheeses.

If I tell you just one thing that I miss about Europe, it is the food. If I tell you two things, I'll add the scenery. Vineyards, hills, rivers......incredible.

So, Versailles is one.

2) Eiffel Tower (of course). We could actually see our car from atop the Eiffel Tower and watched a part of a soccer game below. smile

3) Louvre. Yes, it is big....yes, it is packed. But, when you tell your friends that you went to Paris and didn't check out the Louvre, you'll get punched. Don't get punched. Also, it is very humbling seeing things in person. Yes, the Mona Lisa is a tiny painting, but there is just something about it. Hammurabi's Code was awesome. There are some paintings there you've never heard of that will blow you away. The Louvre is worth it.

4) Notre Dame. So much history. You can't miss it. If you happen to be Catholic and you don't go, you'll need to go to confession upon your return. I'm not Catholic, but the place just got to me.

5) Seine River cruise at night. We didn't do it, and I wish we had.

6) Arc d'Triumph. Walk up to there from the Eiffel Tower, whether at night or during the day (we went at dusk...very cool). Both the Arc and the Eifel Tower are beautiful at night. The shops and cafes along that walk are excellent.

I lived in Germany for 3 years and never made it to Italy or Spain. I SAW Italy from atop a mountain, but that's as close as I got. Enjoy your trip!!

Return to Top
#1388732 - 05/10/10 09:01 PM Re: Anyone ever been to Paris? HappyGilmore
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
Originally Posted By: WorldCupRules
so they don't call it "French" onion soup?

Nope, it's L'oignon soup (or something close to that)

Return to Top
#1388767 - 05/10/10 09:28 PM Re: Anyone ever been to Paris? FBH
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess
Many, many years ago...ahh, Paris'...what a cess pool...

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett