BOL Conferences
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1473066 - 11/28/10 07:44 AM Re: redisclose GFE ? Truffle Royale
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Has anyone run into this situation - Bank does not "rate-lock" per se, but obviously when the loan documents are drawn, the rate is "locked in" because - well, there is the rate right there on the Note!

So - I have heard of some auditors (not examiners mind you) say that since the rate is "locked" on the loan documents, a new GFE must be issued.

I personally think that's a waste of time, money, resources, paper, postage and only confuses everyone that much more.

What say you?

Return to Top
RESPA
#1473070 - 11/28/10 01:00 PM Re: redisclose GFE ? Princess Romeo
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I say the auditors that say that are all wet. The rate is not locked and can float up to the time of closing. Without a rate lock, the rate is subject to change until the customer's signature ink hits the paper.

Return to Top
#1473088 - 11/29/10 02:28 AM Re: redisclose GFE ? rlcarey
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I disagree, Randy. Locking the rate is the only time that RESPA mandates a new GFE must be given. I'm sure that's what the auditors are referring to.

But doing it doesn't have to be a waste of time or postage or delay the closing. If you're locking the rate at the closing table, then just hand them the rate lock GFE before you start the closing.

Now, if the rate on the initial GFE is different from the rate on the closing docs AND that change affects the APR more than .25%, than you're caught by MDIA and have to give a new ETIL and wait the appropriate amount of time.

Return to Top
#1473116 - 11/29/10 02:45 PM Re: redisclose GFE ? Truffle Royale
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
The bank setting the rate for closing when the consumer elected to float is not the consumer locking the rate. The consumer must exercise a rate lock option in order for the reissue mandate to kick in.

Return to Top
#1473124 - 11/29/10 03:01 PM Re: redisclose GFE ? Dan Persfull
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
FWIW, I agree with Randy and Dan. A float is a float. For HPML purposes, we use the date the papers are drawn up for closing to re-check the loan...but no new GFE would be required.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1473177 - 11/29/10 04:31 PM Re: redisclose GFE ? RR Joker
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I'll standdown and defer to the others on this one.
We don't do anything like this so that's why I thought the lock would occur at closing.
Just for the record, has this been touched on officially or even sent to HUD as a querry? If an auditor questions it, I'm concerned an examiner might too.

Return to Top
#1473182 - 11/29/10 04:38 PM Re: redisclose GFE ? Truffle Royale
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Q&A 19 on page 8 of the FAQs is pretty specific in its answer.

. . . if a borrower locks the interest rate after the GFE has been issued . . .

Return to Top
#1473184 - 11/29/10 04:42 PM Re: redisclose GFE ? Dan Persfull
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
and absolutely no disrespect intended, but auditor's are not necessarily all that particularly knowledgeable about RESPA either.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1473193 - 11/29/10 04:52 PM Re: redisclose GFE ? RR Joker
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I was just asking if anything had been said beyond the p8, Dan. There's so much that's been interpolated from the FAQs yet not confirmed by HUD. My fav is the cure for Blocks 1 and 2 and line A on the GFE. If I'm feeling gutsy, I can always ask when the examiners hit here in 2011...after they're done examining, of course. wink

Return to Top
#2020850 - 06/16/15 09:23 PM Re: redisclose GFE ? drewella
TattChica Offline
100 Club
TattChica
Va Beach, VA
Bringing back the dead here. I have an investor that says that our last GFE must match our final loan amount, I know that is not a RESPA requirement, but I cant find where to cite to show my investor when in fact its required to re-disclose a GFE.
help smile

Return to Top
#2020881 - 06/17/15 02:23 AM Re: redisclose GFE ? TattChica
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
RESPA FAQ p.8 - 19) Q: If a GFE has been provided and the interest rate has not been locked, can the loan originator provide a revised GFE when the borrower later locks the interest rate?
A: Yes, if a borrower locks the interest rate after the GFE has been issued, a revised GFE must be issued within 3 days of the interest rate lock reflecting the date that the interest rate lock is good through in Line 1 and ―N/A‖ in Line 4 of the ―Important dates‖ section of the GFE. Any interest rate-dependent charges (Block 2, Line A and Block 10 on the GFE) and terms that changed must also be updated on the revised GFE.

That is the only reference to when you MUST redisclose.
Whoever is telling you different at your investor is wrong. Experience tells me it's likely a low tier employee. Go over their head and ask to speak to the compliance manager. I doubt you'll even need the reference above if you can get to the top. They KNOW that's not right.

Return to Top
#2020929 - 06/17/15 01:54 PM Re: redisclose GFE ? drewella
TattChica Offline
100 Club
TattChica
Va Beach, VA
Thank you!!!

Return to Top
#2021233 - 06/18/15 03:52 PM Re: redisclose GFE ? drewella
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Keep in mind though, it is their sandbox and their rules. While not required or not even correct, there are investors who will not budge from that requirement and if they are buying your loan, it is their prerogative to get to decide which deals to buy/fund.

Return to Top
#2024628 - 07/02/15 12:09 AM Re: redisclose GFE ? drewella
Joe L. Offline
New Poster
We have a scenario where the LO floated disclosures and the next day locked the rate; however, we missed the three day window for re-disclosures.

Do any of you have experience with the implications on this? Note that the LO committed to raising the credit $200 at time of rate lock, which we would apply as a lender credit on the HUD-1.

Based on experience, do investors automatically see this loan as ineligible for purchase?

Appreciate any insight in advance.
Last edited by Joe Laidlaw; 07/02/15 12:10 AM.
Return to Top
#2024694 - 07/02/15 02:28 PM Re: redisclose GFE ? drewella
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I'm confused.
Do you mean the LO issued for a floating rate and then missed redisclosing when he locked it a day later?
That's a violation but there's nothing that can be done to fix it. As long as it's a one time thing, not a pattern and practice, you should be ok at exam time.

As for the additional credit promised, just give it on the HUD. You don't have to show it on a GFE to give it.

Return to Top
#2024698 - 07/02/15 02:33 PM Re: redisclose GFE ? drewella
TMatt87 Online
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
Our investors won't accept any loan with late disclosures. Pretty much an automatic portfolio loan.

Return to Top
#2024706 - 07/02/15 02:38 PM Re: redisclose GFE ? drewella
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Ditto.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  QCL