Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options Tools
#139040 - 12/16/03 01:38 PM Re: Bank Newsletters anyone?
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Thanks everyone, what all great ideas!!

And UofLer, it is an internal newsletter, thanks anyway.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#139041 - 12/16/03 06:58 PM Re: Bank Newsletters anyone?
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
I've definitely got some good ideas for my column in our company newsletter! Thanks everyone!

Maria, the only other thing I can add for you is to come up with some catchy titles for your articles. I scan headlines to determine what I'll read so I know others do that too. I've used "MR2 Ducks" to talk about what all the acronyms we use mean, "Just Hold On A Minute" for an article about Reg CC Holds, "Compliance is Such a Private Thing" for the Privacy regs overview, etc. It's fun, and hopefully it grabs a few readers.

Return to Top
#139042 - 12/16/03 10:26 PM Re: Bank Newsletters anyone?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I suggest having a Compliance crossword puzzle or a word search. You could give clues to describe different areas of Compliance and have them fill in the blanks or find the words. This would be a good feature for a few issues a year just to mix it up.
Another idea I have is to run a "Dear Abby" type column. After a few issues, get the word out by publishing in the newsletter for branches to email you with questions and you can respond. I think this would be fun!

Return to Top
#139043 - 12/17/03 01:19 PM Re: Bank Newsletters anyone?
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
More good things.... wow, I love BOL!

Return to Top
#139044 - 12/17/03 01:32 PM Re: Bank Newsletters anyone?
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Maria, don't hesitate to do reprints of articles from other sources in order to lessen the pressure on yourself and mix up the writing style. FDIC has good consumer publications. BOL has good articles. Look at the Ask A Banker Forum for examples of questions consumers might ask and then provide the answers. Include recent activities where employees have represented the bank; e.g. Maria spoke to the Rotarians last week about "Identity Theft" etc. The greater the probability that employees will see their name in your publication, the more likely it is that they will read it.

Return to Top
#139045 - 12/17/03 02:34 PM Re: Bank Newsletters anyone?
Suwannee Offline
Platinum Poster
Suwannee
Florida
I distribute a newsletter each month also. The last two pages are recaps of regulatory and agency issues. The first pages are news articles that relate to our industry, such as identity theft, the new $20 bills when they came out, the new nickels, quizzes (I always include the answers at the back). I even put pictures in the newsletters. The pictures relate to the articles. I only put 2-3 pictures on each page, although there are ususally around 6 articles on each page. My newsletters are usually 6 pages and are distributed via email. My distribution list is around 300 people. As others see the newsletters, they usually send me an email and ask me to add them to my distribution list. Since I began my newsletters a couple years ago, there has not been a month that I have had no requests for someone to be added. If you would like, I can email one of my newsletters to you.

Oh yes, I also get permission when I use someone else's articles in my newsletters. People are normally very receptive to this, since I am only distributing the newsletters within my company.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2