Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1390397 - 05/13/10 03:45 PM Deposit Side Compliance
homebase10 Offline
New Poster
tx
I am new to the compliance department and need help in finding out what I need to look at to make sure all of the deposit side is in compliance. Does anyone have any ideas or worksheets that you use for the year to get me started?

Return to Top
#1390519 - 05/13/10 04:52 PM Re: Deposit Side Compliance homebase10
Lil'Belle Offline
100 Club
Lil'Belle
Texas, United States
Thats a broad question. Start here on BOL and do different searches and check out BOL's Bankers Tools.

Return to Top
#1390546 - 05/13/10 05:08 PM Re: Deposit Side Compliance Lil'Belle
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
You might also suggest to your manager to get you registered for some courses, such as the IBCA Compliance Institute, which will give you a broad, but comprehensive overview of the regulations affecting the deposit side.

If not, I would recommend focusing your efforts on what I think are the top three regulations for deposits:

Truth-in-Savings Act - Regulation DD
Expedited Funds Availability Act - Regulation CC
Electronic Funds Transfer Act - Regulation E

as well as Regulation D (reserves) and Regulation Q (interest on deposits)

Return to Top
#1390788 - 05/13/10 08:15 PM Re: Deposit Side Compliance Doug Hendrickson
homebase10 Offline
New Poster
tx
Thank you.

Return to Top
#1390918 - 05/13/10 11:06 PM Re: Deposit Side Compliance homebase10
OpsGuy Offline
New Poster
As Doug put it, that was one of the first things they sent me to when I entered the 'black hole' that is Compliance.

It was very beneficial and will also help you established contacts in the same field. And yes, it's a very broad topic.

Return to Top
#1392720 - 05/18/10 05:13 PM Re: Deposit Side Compliance homebase10
Reads Regs Offline
Diamond Poster
Originally Posted By: homebase10
I am new to the compliance department and need help in finding out what I need to look at to make sure all of the deposit side is in compliance. Does anyone have any ideas or worksheets that you use for the year to get me started?

If you haven't already done so, look at your federal banking regulator's exam procedures. Here's a link to the FRB's compliance manual. http://www.federalreserve.gov/boarddocs/supmanual/supervision_cch.htm
They have a section for deposit-related statutes and regulations.

Return to Top
#1393033 - 05/18/10 08:32 PM Re: Deposit Side Compliance Reads Regs
PStateBank Offline
Gold Star
PStateBank
Texas
homebase10~ I see you are from Texas.... The Texas Bankers Association has an annual week long compliance school and an annual two day update school. It is awesome. The week-long training gives you an introduction to the major rules and regs you will come into contact with in the compliance world. Not to mention, you will meet people who are in the same boat as you are. Let me tell you, it is very comforting to know you're not alone in this great big compliance universe.

If the school is too expensive or it is just not something you can do right now, TBA has some great deposit compliance webinars or day classes. They are put on by some of the most respected compliance instructors in the business, just to name a few Andy Z and Ken Golliher are both excellent!!

Return to Top
#1393148 - 05/18/10 11:43 PM Re: Deposit Side Compliance PStateBank
emptysky Offline
New Poster
emptysky
What is IBCA Compliance Institute? A google search for that specific term yields only this discussion thread. A search of IBCA yields hits for associations, but apparently I'm missing the compliance-related links... (but now know that there is an Internat'l Barbeque Cookers, a Braille Chess Assoc & a Brick Collectors Assoc <grin>)

Return to Top
#1393154 - 05/19/10 01:39 AM Re: Deposit Side Compliance emptysky
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
It's ICBA - there was a typo above.

http://www.icba.org/

Return to Top

Moderator:  Lestie G