Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#1383519 - 04/29/10 02:34 PM Accounts Titled John Doe i/t/f Jane Doe
dac Offline
100 Club
If an account is titled i/t/f and the owner dies can the person who the account is i/t/f come in and close the account by providing a short certificate or does it need to be closed by the executor of the estate?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#1383569 - 04/29/10 03:30 PM Re: Accounts Titled John Doe i/t/f Jane Doe dac
homebase10 Offline
New Poster
tx
I would assumne since this type of account is not a legal trust for the ITF that it would have to be taken care of by the executor of the estate. It is my understanding that ITF is nothing more than a special title on an account.

Return to Top
#1391647 - 05/14/10 09:40 PM Re: Accounts Titled John Doe i/t/f Jane Doe homebase10
mck401 Offline
Diamond Poster
Texas
I thought ITF was a predecessor of PODs and therefore if the person produced a death certificate, the funds would be paid.

Return to Top
#1391664 - 05/14/10 10:10 PM Re: Accounts Titled John Doe i/t/f Jane Doe mck401
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
The "FDIC Seminar on Deposit Insurance Coverage for Bankers" indicated that a revocable trust deposit is established (for an informal trust) by the use of "testamentary language" in the account title. They used the examples of POD (Payable on Death), ITF (In Trust For) and ATF (As Trustee For).

Return to Top
#1391733 - 05/17/10 02:38 AM Re: Accounts Titled John Doe i/t/f Jane Doe Doug Hendrickson
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
As long as the person has a death certificate for the account owner and presents proper identification for themselves, there's no reason they can't have the funds. That's the purpose of titling an account this way - to avoid probate and the need for an executor.

Return to Top