Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#139329 - 12/15/03 03:30 AM Saddam captured!
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
This was certainly a suprise when I turned on the TV today! It remains to be seen if this will curb some of the violent counter-attacks, fuel them on, or not make a difference.

Did anyone else think that the bearded and weary Saddam looked a bit like Howard Hughes in his later years?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#139330 - 12/15/03 05:00 AM Re: Saddam captured!
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
Wonder if his fingernails were grown out, too? Strange how early reports were that he had on a fake beard - hardly! And interesting that it was shaved off immediately to show it was really him. I'm proud of the perseverance of our troops in tracking him down. Maybe things will settle down somewhat over there. One can only hope.

Now, I wonder what he was planning to do with that $750,000 in US currency? "Down with the U.S., but up with the American dollar!"????

Return to Top
#139331 - 12/15/03 03:31 PM Re: Saddam captured!
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
My wife's uncle, a veteran of the US Marines, passed away last week. His funeral was Saturday and his burial at the National Cemetary in San Antonio, with military honors is today. Fitting, I believe that on the day that his family mourned his death, he was smiling like a child as his "brothers" in the military captured Saddam Hussein. Sheds a totally different light on the day, even for family.

Just thought I'd share.

Return to Top
#139332 - 12/15/03 03:37 PM Re: Saddam captured!
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
I don't know if this will cut back on the violence or not. To be honest, I don't think that Saddam was directing much of the resistence. Maybe some of it will die down, I sure hope so. Undoubtedly some of the resistence fighters will give up, but you never know. I am just glad for the people of Iraq. I hope that we turn him over to the Iraqis. I think it's important that he face justice at the hands of the people he's oppressed. They deserve that opportunity.

Return to Top
#139333 - 12/15/03 03:48 PM Re: Saddam captured!
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
He looked very different and went down without a fight. I suppose "fighting to the death" was for the little people, not the ones living in holes.

It will be a morale hit and may slow the fighting a bit, but only after a few weeks. Nobody expects this right away.

I'd also pat the 4th ID on the back. They are from right here at Ft. Hood. They were to deploy last January and attack from the north. You may remember that Turkey decided not to allow it and they didn't deploy until March when the war was basically over. While not wanting a war, they were disappointed that they didn't help their brothers in arms. This was a big win for them.

As my wife was shopping yesterday one of the sales clerks said her husband was on that team that captured that little Saddam Hussein In Tekrit.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#139334 - 12/15/03 03:54 PM Re: Saddam captured!
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
I think his capture on my birthday will make this one of the most memorable I have ever had. My respect and heartfelt Thanks to all who sacrificed and served;and, my prayers for all involved.

Return to Top
#139335 - 12/15/03 05:29 PM Re: Saddam captured!
GreatBlue Offline
Diamond Poster
GreatBlue
Colorado
I think the fact that he was captured without a fight, and the video of him totally passive as he's being examined by the doctor, has to be a major morale hit to his loyalists. If he'd gone down fighting, he would have been held up as a martyr. Now he's just a pathetic old man.

Even if this doesn't have a huge impact on those still fighting, at the least those who were afraid to help and support the Americans for fear Saddam would someday come back to power are now free to say what they really believe. Definitely a great day for the cause of freedom!

Return to Top
#139336 - 12/15/03 05:37 PM Re: Saddam captured!
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Do you know the way to ...
The Ace of Spades became an Ace in the Hole....

Return to Top
#139337 - 12/15/03 05:38 PM Re: Saddam captured!
gone Offline
Platinum Poster
The 4th Inf got the "Ace in the Hole" HOOAH!
Now we need Osama!
Hopefully this means that the rumors of my husband being sent to the "Sandbox" this summer will end. I'm a nervous wreck! (I'll find out soon enough.)

Return to Top
#139338 - 12/15/03 05:40 PM Re: Saddam captured!
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
It's a great time for America with a lot more leads to weapons of mass destruction locations probably on the way.

What is more than passingly strange is that SH really had no plan as ending up in a rat hole when he simply needed to allow inspectors back in seems like somewhat less than good planning. The fact that some of our troops died simply due to SH's insanity or delusion is really very sad.

Hopefully, the capture scenario will provide something for those that were ready to strap on explosives to think about.

Return to Top
#139339 - 12/15/03 05:41 PM Re: Saddam captured!
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
IMHO, Saddam and Osama are cut from the same mold, one just has stronger religious convictions than the other. They are both willing to send others into the battle to give their lives, but they themselves go and cower in little holes. Funny, isn't it? I'll echo President Bush's words. "Good Riddance. The world is better off without you."

Return to Top
#139340 - 12/15/03 05:52 PM Re: Saddam captured!
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Quote:

It's a great time for America with a lot more leads to weapons of mass destruction locations probably on the way.

I've always felt that Saddam himself was the 'weapon of mass destruction.'

Return to Top
#139341 - 12/15/03 06:09 PM Re: Saddam captured!
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
I started working at PNB in 1991. When I started here, I kept hearing about a loan officer who had been called to active duty from the reserves, and was in Texas during the Gulf War. Fortunantly, he was able to stay in Texas and serve his country at that time. He returned, and worked for us until a couple of years ago, when he went to work for the army reserves, full time. I had to hug him good-bye Saturday morning. He is heading to Ft. Polk, LA for a few weeks, and then on to Iraq. It was heartbreaking to watch his 13 yr. old son try to be brave, along with his wife, and 8 year old son, who was already in tears. Please pray with me that he will return safe and sound to his family and all of us who love him. His name is (Anthony) Grant Garner, and he is a very special breed of man.

Return to Top
#139342 - 12/15/03 07:49 PM Re: Saddam captured!
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
They are all a special breed of men and women. They are American soldiers. I am proud to have them represent us and what we stand for to the world, and I am grateful that they are willing to fight and die so that can continue to enjoy a measure of freedom and security here at home.

I will add Mr. Garner to our prayer list at home.

Return to Top
#139343 - 12/15/03 07:56 PM Re: Saddam captured!
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

that little Saddam Hussein In Tekrit.

Return to Top
#139344 - 12/16/03 12:06 AM Re: Saddam captured!
BSA4LIFE Offline
Gold Star
California
I heard that when he was captured he identified himself as the President of Iraq and the US soldiers told him that President Bush sends his regards.

Return to Top
#139345 - 12/16/03 12:24 AM Re: Saddam captured!
Alien Offline
Platinum Poster
Mexifornia
I heard he was about this [] close to being blown to smithereens since a soldier had popped the pin of his grenade and was about to lob it in the hole! We may have needed a vacuum cleaner to collect him! It is good he was captured alive and shown on TV to the Arab world – took away the invincibility and god like status the radicals had of him.

Return to Top
#139346 - 12/16/03 12:42 AM Re: Saddam captured!
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Quote:

Quote:

that little Saddam Hussein In Tekrit.

I thought that "whooshing" sound was that going over everyone's head.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#139347 - 12/16/03 01:43 AM Re: Saddam captured!
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Maybe little Saddam Hussein In Tikrit would be interested in our big Community Reinvestment Act Program?

Return to Top
#139348 - 12/16/03 04:11 AM Re: Saddam captured!
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Quote:

Maybe little Saddam Hussein In Tikrit would be interested in our big Community Reinvestment Act Program?

Licking my index finger,
Touching it to Bonnie's keyboard,
Sisssssss
She's hot.

Great chuckle. Thx.

Return to Top
#139349 - 12/16/03 08:00 PM Re: Saddam captured!
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
I heard that he would have reporters thrown out (or worse) if he didn't like their personal hygiene back in his "glory days". What a change of circumstances! He got checked for lice on world-wide television! See what happens to bullies?!?!

Thank yous and prayers for all our men and women in uniform!

Return to Top