Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1365125 - 03/26/10 09:32 PM remember the guy that brought down acorn?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
well, his charges are being reduced in the senator landrieu gaffe

snipped from NO City Business

Quote:
Charges reduced in Landrieu office phone caper
POSTED: 02:08 PM Friday, March 26, 2010
BY: The Associated Press

Federal prosecutors have filed reduced charges against conservative activist James O’Keefe and three others arrested after they allegedly tried to tamper with the phones in Sen. Mary Landrieu’s New Orleans office.

The filing today in U.S. District Court charges them with entering a federal building under false pretenses, a misdemeanor. They had been arrested Jan. 25 on felony charges.

The new charges are contained in a bill of information, which often signals a plea deal.

O’Keefe gained notoriety by masquerading as a pimp in a stunt that embarrassed the ACORN organization.

In the Landrieu incident, O’Keefe has said he was investigating complaints that constituents couldn’t reach the senator’s office to comment on her support of health care reform.•

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1365138 - 03/26/10 09:44 PM Re: remember the guy that brought down acorn? HappyGilmore
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
brought ACORN down or ......a stunt that "embarrassed" ACORN

I think you thread title is closer to the truth than the AP story

Return to Top
#1365157 - 03/26/10 10:26 PM Re: remember the guy that brought down acorn? Pale Rider
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
This was such a big story, even though the original story was completely ignored by most of the media, I am sure the media is trumpeting this.

Return to Top
#1396095 - 05/25/10 10:15 PM Re: remember the guy that brought down acorn? straw
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
I am sure the national media will be all over this story

It looks like James O'Keefe won't be in cuffs after all.

The conservative activist filmmaker, who was arrested in New Orleans in January along with three cohorts in the office of Democratic Senator Mary Landrieu, is expected to enter a plea to a misdemeanor on Wednesday in federal court. He’s accused of entering federal property under false pretenses.

http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/05/25/james-okeefe-no-felony/?test=latestnews

Originally, O’Keefe faced much more potentially serious charges. At the time of the arrests, the U.S. Attorney’s office claimed O’Keefe and three others were in the process "of committing a felony." But federal prosecutors never made the supposed "felony” clear, and the lesser misdemeanor plea of entering federal property “under false pretenses” is expected to spare O'Keefe and his co-defendants any jail time.

Return to Top
#1396141 - 05/26/10 12:03 PM Re: remember the guy that brought down acorn? HappyGilmore
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
The Land of Tax Free Shopping!
Quote:
entering a federal building under false pretenses, a misdemeanor.

That law's actually on the books? You know government is getting out of control when they can charge you for walking into a building. What did he say? "I have to use your restroom" and not go?

Ridipulous!

Return to Top
#1396149 - 05/26/10 12:30 PM Re: remember the guy that brought down acorn? FBH
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: FBH
Quote:

That law's actually on the books? You know government is getting out of control when they can charge you for walking into a building. What did he say? "I have to use your restroom" and not go?

Ridipulous!

This seems like a good charge for some in congress.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1396400 - 05/26/10 04:36 PM Re: remember the guy that brought down acorn? FBH
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Quote:

Ridipulous!

They probably put that law in after ABSCAM, so in the future, if caught taking a bribe, they could get the briber charged.

Return to Top
#1396520 - 05/26/10 06:22 PM Re: remember the guy that brought down acorn? FBH
Plain Old Tom Offline
100 Club
Quote:

Ridipulous!

The false pretense was claiming they were there to fix the phones when in fact they were there to monkey with the phones. Seems like a pretty fair charge.

Return to Top
#1396549 - 05/26/10 06:45 PM Re: remember the guy that brought down acorn? Plain Old Tom
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
But federal prosecutors never made the supposed "felony” clear

Return to Top
#1396555 - 05/26/10 06:50 PM Re: remember the guy that brought down acorn? Pale Rider
Plain Old Tom Offline
100 Club
I didn't say anything about the felony, just the misdemeanor. They claimed they were there to fix the phones but clearly were not. Open and shut case.

Return to Top
#1396619 - 05/26/10 07:32 PM Re: remember the guy that brought down acorn? Plain Old Tom
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Yup. As the ACORN case is, although the DOJ doesn't seem to be moving so quickly on it. I wonder why?

Return to Top
#1396994 - 05/27/10 02:09 PM Re: remember the guy that brought down acorn? Plain Old Tom
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Plain Old Tom
The false pretense was claiming they were there to fix the phones when in fact they were there to monkey with the phones. Seems like a pretty fair charge.

How were they going to "monkey with" the phones?

Return to Top
#1397095 - 05/27/10 03:47 PM Re: remember the guy that brought down acorn? Jokerman
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
That was the mass media story. That they were going to bug the phones, which would be a much more serious charge, but apparently one they could not prove, since they are settling for the lesser charge.

The mass media will ignore it, as it doesn't fit the story they put out originally to discredit him and therefore restore ACORN.

Return to Top