Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1397347 - 05/27/10 06:57 PM Business owner wants debit cards for employees use
HR Banker Offline
Diamond Poster
I'm thinking it is a bad idea for a business owner to have debit cards for employee use. It seems to me there would be too many instances where fraud could occur. Is the general practice not to give debit cards to businesses? How could the business be totally responsible in the event of fraud? Would they be able to hold the bank to refunding any disputed transactions? Actually this business owner wants multiple cards to give to the employees.
Last edited by ltackett; 05/27/10 07:00 PM.
Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1397383 - 05/27/10 07:39 PM Re: Business owner wants debit cards for employees use HR Banker
reknab Offline
Gold Star
not where I want to be
We only allow debit cards to principal owners of the company.

Return to Top
#1397385 - 05/27/10 07:40 PM Re: Business owner wants debit cards for employees use reknab
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Also, check your MasterCard or Visa contract. I believe they state that even business debit cards may have the $0 liability.

Return to Top
#1397407 - 05/27/10 08:03 PM Re: Business owner wants debit cards for employees use Skittles
BetsyS Offline
Gold Star
Do you have a seperate BIN for business cards? If not, I would check with VISA or MasterCard as your BIN may be licensed for consumer cards only.

We set up a Business Visa Check Card product a couple of years ago. The good news is that Reg E doesn't apply,the bad news is that Visa extends zero liability to business cards. I think the answers to your questions lie in the provisions in your card agreement with the business.

Return to Top
#1397566 - 05/28/10 02:13 AM Re: Business owner wants debit cards for employees use BetsyS
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
This type of product is best handled through a true product set up where employees of a company have debit cards for use for expenses.

I have seen banks actually set up the employees of a business customer as signers so that they could have debit cards, to accommodate the owners request, but that is not a good way to go.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1398010 - 05/30/10 12:44 PM Re: Business owner wants debit cards for employees use Kathleen O. Blanchard
Deputy Dawn Offline
Gold Star
Deputy Dawn
Pennsylvania
We allow business to have debit cards for their employees.

The business owners signs the application authorizing the card and is allowed to customize the limits of the card.

The employee is assigned an ATM card holder role on the account and has no signing authority.

Card is issued to XYZ Corporation - John Doe

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z