Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1397394 - 05/27/10 07:51 PM Western Union Agent Only-MSB?
ComplianceGurl, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
I feel silly for asking this question but I keep getting conflicting answers. If a business is an AGENT ONLY for Western Union and they cash and sell Western Union money orders with no $$ limits, are they an MSB and should they register?
I've heard that since they are only an agent they do not need to register. I've also been told that since they are selling and cashing WU money orders with no cash limits they DO need to register. Ugh...
Thank you so much for clearing this up once and for all.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1397408 - 05/27/10 08:04 PM Re: Western Union Agent Only-MSB? ComplianceGurl, CRCM
GenerousLife Offline
Diamond Poster
USA
A business that is an agent of Western Union must be able to provide you with documentation to support their agent status. Their agent agreement will detail the activities for which they are covered by Western Union.

For any other activities, check cashing for example, if they exceed the MSB triggers, then they need to register as an MSB for those activities in their own name.

I hope that helps.

Return to Top
#1397410 - 05/27/10 08:04 PM Re: Western Union Agent Only-MSB? ComplianceGurl, CRCM
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
They are an MSB, but they don't need to register with FinCEN if their MSB activity is all done as a Western Union agent. If they have other MSB activity that meets the trigger levels, they'll need to register in spite of their WU agent status.

However, they may still have to register with or obtain a license from a state authority, depending on your state's requirements.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1397414 - 05/27/10 08:06 PM Re: Western Union Agent Only-MSB? ComplianceGurl, CRCM
ACBbank Online
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
If they are a registered agent of Western Union and not providing services outside of that agreement, I don't believe that they have to register with FinCen. I'm not sure on your individual state requirements (if any).

I would let a few other people chime in prior to accepting my opinion as law though.

Return to Top
#1397422 - 05/27/10 08:13 PM Re: Western Union Agent Only-MSB? ACBbank
Platinum Poster
Thank you John and ACB! My files are complete. :-) For now...

Return to Top
#1397592 - 05/28/10 12:53 PM Re: Western Union Agent Only-MSB? ComplianceGurl, CRCM
Platinum Poster
I've tried searching our states website and cannot find anything on licensing laws for agents...any ideas on where I might look? Thank you!

Return to Top
#1397788 - 05/28/10 05:12 PM Re: Western Union Agent Only-MSB? ComplianceGurl, CRCM
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
It would depend on what activity is triggering MSB classification. You might try "money transmitter" or look in statutes at Sale of Checks Act if they have one.

Return to Top
#1397832 - 05/28/10 06:33 PM Re: Western Union Agent Only-MSB? BrendaC
Platinum Poster
Thanks Brenda!

Return to Top
#1397876 - 05/28/10 07:49 PM Re: Western Union Agent Only-MSB? ComplianceGurl, CRCM
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Or call state department of licensing.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1929142 - 06/03/14 09:57 PM Re: Western Union Agent Only-MSB? GenerousLife
Lele Offline
Platinum Poster
Lele
In the Sun
So we should request their 'agent agreement'?

Return to Top
#1929177 - 06/04/14 12:22 PM Re: Western Union Agent Only-MSB? ComplianceGurl, CRCM
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
NYC
We always request a copy of the agent's agreement with Western Union, Money Gram, etc. Sometimes we are told that WU prohibits this but we insist and always get it.

Return to Top
#1929207 - 06/04/14 01:35 PM Re: Western Union Agent Only-MSB? devsfan
Cape Codder Offline
Gold Star
We, too, require all MSB agents to provide documentation from the parent MSB that they are an authorized agent. In addition, as all MSB's in our state (agent or otherwise) must be licensed by the MA Division of Banks, we also require evidence of same.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z