Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread Options
#139885 - 12/24/03 04:11 PM Re: Please Mr. Please (Don't Play B-17)
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

The only one I'd definitely remove is #40):

Can I get an AMEN on that! I am with you on the selection, and hope you feel better soon.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#139886 - 12/24/03 04:25 PM Re: Please Mr. Please (Don't Play B-17)
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega Offline
Diamond Poster
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega
A Grant Wood painting.
One common thread of the list of dread - the story.
A good narative, once repeated, becomes too much of a good thing. I liked most of those songs the first time I heard them. (Muskrat Love is an exception.)

There is a difference between playing a song and wearing the groves through it! (Showing my age again.)

Return to Top
#139887 - 12/24/03 04:49 PM Re: Please Mr. Please (Don't Play B-17)
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
And let us not forget The Night Chicago Died (Paper Lace)

Once was more than enough!

Na-na na, na-na-na, na-na-na-na-na

Return to Top
#139888 - 12/24/03 04:55 PM Re: Please Mr. Please (Don't Play B-17)
Wyogirl Offline
Platinum Poster
Wyogirl
Laramie, WY. USA
I'm a Floyd fan, but I simply cannot stand "Money". Maybe it's overplayed, or maybe I just work in a bank, but I cringe everytime I hear the "ching ching" at the beginning.

Wyogirl

P.S. I love everybody's pictures on their posts. How do you do that anyway?

Return to Top
#139889 - 12/24/03 05:04 PM Re: Please Mr. Please (Don't Play B-17)
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Wyo, do a search of the threads, there's one that tells you in detail how to do that.

Return to Top
#139890 - 12/24/03 05:09 PM Re: Please Mr. Please (Don't Play B-17)
Wyogirl Offline
Platinum Poster
Wyogirl
Laramie, WY. USA
Thanks man, I'll give it a shot. Or maybe I mean, give me a shot. Sorry, just saw that Bailey's bottle go by my office!

Wyogirl

Return to Top
#139891 - 12/24/03 05:29 PM Re: Please Mr. Please (Don't Play B-17)
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Come on over to Cleabatsu's and I'll buy you a shot of Baileys!

Return to Top
#139892 - 12/24/03 05:58 PM Re: Please Mr. Please (Don't Play B-17)
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Actually, I love to hate bad, cheesy songs. I have several CDs worth of what I would call bad or marginal pop songs of the 1970s. I love to put in on and watch people's faces as they listen to Chevy Van, Undercover Angel, Er Es Tu, Disco Duck, etc....

Return to Top
#139893 - 12/24/03 06:11 PM Re: Please Mr. Please (Don't Play B-17)
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

9. I Am... I Said - Neil Diamond
40. The Logical Song - Supertramp

I grew up the son of a Neil Diamond fan, so I definitely agree with #9. We always argued about whether or not it was reasonable to be talking to a chair. My only question is, where is Cracklin' Rose?

I have to disagree with #40, as well, though. You can't put anything from _Breakfast in America_ on a list of bad songs. Sacrilege.

Return to Top
#139894 - 12/24/03 06:14 PM Re: Please Mr. Please (Don't Play B-17)
Jokerman Offline
10K Club

Hey, there's a good thread for next week:

Top five albums, all-time.

Return to Top
#139895 - 12/24/03 07:33 PM Re: Please Mr. Please (Don't Play B-17)
Wyogirl Offline
Platinum Poster
Wyogirl
Laramie, WY. USA
OK Pam, I must have done something wrong. DOE! I'm not the most computer literate person I know, LOL. I'll keep trying.

Wyogirl

Return to Top
#139896 - 12/24/03 08:12 PM Re: Please Mr. Please (Don't Play B-17)
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
WG-
You may be linking to a site that does not allow remote linking. The best way to get a pic attached to your profile is to save the desired image to your harddrive, resize it to no bigger than 80 x 80 pixels (if you have this capability) and email it to one of the BOL Admins to be added to your profile.

Return to Top
#139897 - 12/24/03 08:56 PM Re: Please Mr. Please (Don't Play B-17)
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Quote:

9. I Am... I Said - Neil Diamond
40. The Logical Song - Supertramp

I grew up the son of a Neil Diamond fan, so I definitely agree with #9. We always argued about whether or not it was reasonable to be talking to a chair. My only question is, where is Cracklin' Rose?

I have to disagree with #40, as well, though. You can't put anything from _Breakfast in America_ on a list of bad songs. Sacrilege.

I certainly would take "I am, I said" off a list of worst songs!

Here I go with the music trivia again. When Neil Diamond was a young songwriter, he went through a period of depression. He was going to a psychiatrist who could not get to the bottom of his problems--that is until Neil told him that he was a song writer. The shrink had him bring some of his songs to him and it was through those songs that the shrink was able to see what was going on inside Neil.

I am a big fan of Neil's very early stuff. "Classics: The Early Years" is a great album--below is a cut and paste of the song list. His later work sometimes was as good as this, but certainly not as often. His later work was almost always overproduced and too slick for my taste. Too much strings and bravado. But these early songs, show what a songwriting genius he was early on.

1. Kentucky Woman (Diamond) - 2:24
2. Cherry, Cherry (Diamond) - 2:41
3. Solitary Man (Diamond) - 2:34
4. You Got to Me (Diamond) - 2:45
5. I Got the Feelin' (Oh No, No) (Diamond) - 2:09
6. Thank the Lord for the Night Time (Diamond) - 3:02
7. I'm a Believer (Diamond) - 2:38
8. Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon (Diamond) - 3:20
9. Shilo (Diamond) - 3:49
10. Do It (Diamond) - 2:22
11. Red, Red Wine (Diamond) - 2:39
12. The Boat That I Row (Diamond) - 2:41

Return to Top
#139898 - 12/24/03 09:15 PM Re: Please Mr. Please (Don't Play B-17)
Anonymoose Offline
ALRIGHT, only a Neil Diamond discussion could bring me out of hibernation. Here is what I found about this song in a 1971 Rolling Stone interview:

Well, I Am...I Said was a very difficult song, very difficult because I really had to spend a lot of time thinking about what I was before the song was written. I spent about 4 months writing it and its easily the most satisfying lyric that I’ve written. Its very personal and touches me maybe more deeply than some of the other songs. I Am...I Said is a very complicated song and its complicated probably because my feelings were very complicated when I wrote it. It tells of feeling lost and full of questions and doubts and insecurities and really having a need to go back home, to go back to the roots to go back to the original security that you feel in life, realizing that you never can go back that time makes things different, it changes things. I suppose its a song of conflicts and frustrations as well as the lost/scared theory that I mentioned. I guess that I do have a lot of myself wrapped up in it.

Return to Top
#139899 - 12/26/03 03:53 PM Re: Please Mr. Please (Don't Play B-17)
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
I really like #37 - I Will Always Love You. I will admit that I like Dolly's recording better than Whitney's, though. I saw Dolly Parton(who wrote the song) on Leno when Whitney's version was tearing up the charts. Jay asked her if she was jealous of Whitney's success with her song. Dolly said, "Heck no! She's making me lots of money! And it takes a lot of money to look this cheap!"

Return to Top
#139900 - 12/26/03 08:22 PM Re: Please Mr. Please (Don't Play B-17)
Diamond Poster
A Grant Wood painting.
Good to see a lot of work going on today.
My dayghter got a mess of sound tracks for Christmas. Some of them are not long for this world. Holes - some good tracks, interesting enough that this is my favorite Lizzie McGuire - ok for now. School of Rock - a few good tracks (the Doors) but some real junk. Freaky Friday - pop junk. She will get tired of this before I do.

Return to Top
#139901 - 12/26/03 09:22 PM Re: Please Mr. Please (Don't Play B-17)
Diamond Poster
A Grant Wood painting.
Why wait?
1) Beatles -Abby Road
2) Billy Joel -Stranger
3) Stones -Sticky Fingers
4) Beatles -St Peppers
5) Carlos Santana? Chuck Berry?

Go ahead and rip me appart!

Return to Top
#139902 - 12/29/03 05:41 PM Re: Please Mr. Please (Don't Play B-17)
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

4) Beatles -St Peppers
5) Carlos Santana?

Go ahead and rip me appart!

No ripping, just a GASP...COUGH...SPUTTER... I love the Sgt. Peppers movie and most songs, just for the fun of it. But CARLOS SANTANA...?!?!? That guy rocks! That being said: To each his own! Diversity makes the world go round!

Return to Top
#139903 - 12/29/03 07:31 PM Re: Please Mr. Please (Don't Play B-17)
JeloQuen Offline
JeloQuen
Middle America

Diversity makes the world go round!

No wonder I have such a hard time changing the jukebox at the bar!

Everytime I swap out new CD's for old ones you'd think I removed the only good song worth listening to! And there's 100 CD's on the box

Return to Top
#139904 - 12/29/03 07:31 PM Re: Please Mr. Please (Don't Play B-17)
Diamond Poster
A Grant Wood painting.
I did not really appreciate Santana until Supernatural came out. It was at that point that I realized "this guy is one of the greats". He can put so much emotion into his work that it is like opera. NOW I have you freaked!

Return to Top
#139905 - 12/29/03 08:45 PM Re: Please Mr. Please (Don't Play B-17)
Jokerman Offline
10K Club

If you're going to put a Beatles' album on the list, I would go with Sgt. Pepper - simply because it is better as an album (not as a collection of individual songs, necessarily). Here's my list:

Dylan - Blonde on Blonde (you could argue for Highway 61, too, but I wouldn't put it #1.)
The Band - Music From Big Pink
Neil Young - Harvest
Springsteen - The River
Clapton - Unplugged (don't know if it's appropriate to list a live album, but I think this particular recording can be.)

Return to Top
#139906 - 12/31/03 06:04 PM Re: Please Mr. Please (Don't Play B-17)
Anonymous
Unregistered

achy breaky heart....haaaate that song
although love Billy Ray. Wierd, huh?!?!?
But then I love Michael Bolton and Yani too.
HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL

Return to Top
#139907 - 12/31/03 07:16 PM Re: Please Mr. Please (Don't Play B-17)
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

If you're going to put a Beatles' album on the list, I would go with Sgt. Pepper - simply because it is better as an album (not as a collection of individual songs, necessarily). Here's my list:

Dylan - Blonde on Blonde (you could argue for Highway 61, too, but I wouldn't put it #1.)
Neil Young - Harvest
Springsteen - The River
Clapton - Unplugged (don't know if it's appropriate to list a live album, but I think this particular recording can be.)

These are albums you hate? Did this thread change on me--it started as songs you hate--and there was another on songs you can't get enough of. Now, I can't tell what we are discussing.

Return to Top
#139908 - 12/31/03 07:42 PM Re: Please Mr. Please (Don't Play B-17)
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

Quote:

Neil Young - Harvest
Springsteen - The River

These are albums you hate? Did this thread change on me--it started as songs you hate--and there was another on songs you can't get enough of. Now, I can't tell what we are discussing.

Yeah, please tell me that you don't hate Clapton unplugged! Not Possible......

Return to Top
#139909 - 01/02/04 04:12 PM Re: Please Mr. Please (Don't Play B-17)
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

I said "top five" not "worst five"!

Return to Top
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6