Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1399951 - 06/04/10 08:03 PM food to take on a picnic and not die from it
Trees Offline
Power Poster
I am looking for some good things to eat that will not cause food poisoning as they were not in a fridge. Ideas for salads (sans mayo, obviously), and other treat ideas. If you have a fav salad recipe bring it on! I am so fried with regulatory stuff all week my ideas for picnic goodies are, well, boring.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1399980 - 06/04/10 08:26 PM Re: food to take on a picnic and not die from it Trees
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Bobby Flay's Vietnamese Rice Noodle Salad

I've made a version of this in the past, but I had no recipe, so I did a search and found Bobby Flay has one. Can't wait to try his version! His looks similar to mine, only I don't use honey, but I do run a peeler over radishes and carrots to throw strands of color in the mix.

The joy of this recipe is that it is good served chilled, but like most vietnamese dishes, still maintains it's flavor when warmed throughout the day. Also, no mayo, or other ingredients that spoil in the sun!

Return to Top
#1399986 - 06/04/10 08:30 PM Re: food to take on a picnic and not die from it B_F
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
The recipe I posted in the thread for Truff...extra yummy and should be good for a picnic.

Return to Top
#1400025 - 06/04/10 09:01 PM Re: food to take on a picnic and not die from it Dip
Busy Bee, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
PacificNW
Our family loves my mom's pasta salad, and there's nothing to it...

It's just cooked, cubed chicken, cooked pasta, italian dressing (Good Seasonings packet stuff & we use Apple Cider Vinegar where the recipe calls for vinegar), then what ever else we want to add...ideas: olives, parmesan cheese, sliced salami/pepperoni, blanched asparagus, red peppers, mushrooms....we don't really measure anything. We almost always have all the ingredients on hand and we get family members that special request the "chicken pasta salad thing" for family get-togethers.

Return to Top
#1400034 - 06/04/10 09:11 PM Re: food to take on a picnic and not die from it Busy Bee, CRCM
doobydoobydoo Offline
Power Poster
doobydoobydoo
Basking in the Cool Weather
raw oysters

Return to Top
#1400061 - 06/04/10 09:32 PM Re: food to take on a picnic and not die from it doobydoobydoo
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Steak

CAMS

Return to Top
#1400066 - 06/04/10 09:36 PM Re: food to take on a picnic and not die from it doobydoobydoo
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
Will you be taking coolers? You could have one for hot stuff (preheat cooler with near-boiling water then drain) and another for chilled items.

We like to have a spinach salad with fresh strawberries and raspberries, feta cheese tossed in, then dressed with a raspberry vinargrette (we get the store brand).

Return to Top
#1400529 - 06/08/10 02:09 PM Re: food to take on a picnic and not die from it Bacon Boy
manylayers Offline
Gold Star
manylayers
PA
I don't like mayo...so i often make a southwest potato salad...

I use a mix of red and white potatoes
1 bag of taco seasoning
1/4 oil
can of corn, drained
1/2 red onion chopped
1 can of black olives, drained
other cut up veggies, (i use carrots, celery, been known to throw some black beans in)

cook potatoes, cube (i leave the skins on), mix seasoning and oil, pour over potatoes. Add veggies and toss. Chill for a few hours.

yummy!

Return to Top
#1400534 - 06/08/10 02:16 PM Re: food to take on a picnic and not die from it Trees
LZ_Xray Offline
LZ_Xray
Nile Delta
MRE's wink

Return to Top
#1400754 - 06/08/10 06:06 PM Re: food to take on a picnic and not die from it Trees
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: Trees
I am looking for some good things to eat that will not cause food poisoning as they were not in a fridge. Ideas for salads (sans mayo, obviously), and other treat ideas. If you have a fav salad recipe bring it on! I am so fried with regulatory stuff all week my ideas for picnic goodies are, well, boring.

Popeye's Chicken

Cold Beer

do you really need anything else for a picnic?

Return to Top
#1400807 - 06/08/10 07:02 PM Re: food to take on a picnic and not die from it HappyGilmore
Peepers Offline
10K Club
dip into the Andrew Zimmern book on eating

get some pig brains, some fried bugs and a geoduck to gnaw on

Return to Top
#1400850 - 06/08/10 07:42 PM Re: food to take on a picnic and not die from it Peepers
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww @ geoduck!!!

Return to Top