BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread Options
#1401851 - 06/10/10 03:39 PM Hey Big 12 Fans
Bankster Offline
Diamond Poster
Yinzerville, PA
As a Easterner, I don't know a lot about the Big 12, but I've always assumed that it was a pretty strong conference. So why does it seem like teams are racing to get out, and the end is imminent? Reports are that Nebraska will move to the Big 10 (which is really the Big 11, so know are they the Big 12???), and Colorado, and possibly five others are moving to the PAC-10. Is moving to the Big 10 or PAC-10 a step-up from the Big 12? What's the problem down there? No TV money? Poor management? Inferiority complex?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1401859 - 06/10/10 03:47 PM Re: Hey Big 12 Fans Bankster
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
I don't know what caused this and as a fan of the Big 10 (really 11), not sure why add Nebraska. It is probably about money---isn't that the cause most of the time. I always thought Penn State was an odd addition since they came in 1990. Since that would make 12, would the Big 10 (now 12) divide into two divisions?

The natural fit would be Notre Dame but that isn't going to happen.

Return to Top
#1401860 - 06/10/10 03:47 PM Re: Hey Big 12 Fans Bankster
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
too many bad teams from the midwest....

there is quite a political fight going on whether Colorado or Baylor belongs in the group moving out.....

Return to Top
#1401864 - 06/10/10 03:49 PM Re: Hey Big 12 Fans Pale Rider
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
So

biting

my

tounge......

Return to Top
#1401880 - 06/10/10 04:03 PM Re: Hey Big 12 Fans bOaty
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
well, they can move all they want, until they move to the SEC, they will always be in a 2nd class conference! wink

Return to Top
#1401886 - 06/10/10 04:13 PM Re: Hey Big 12 Fans HappyGilmore
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
There are tons of factors to this. As a Husker fan I will say that there are two primary factors (or factors we contribute the highest). The first is revenues and academic prestige. The second is the perception that Texas for many reasons has a block of voting that restricts overturning certain rules and helps them get things passed. For example, you don't see the Big XII CG being played in Nebraska. Nebraska has also been limited in recruiting because Texas thought two things Nebraska did was unfair. Neither were NCAA violations. And, its not like Texas should worry about our recruiting. I cannot remember a year where we out recruited them.

The dislike is not against Texas, but it is against the dominance in voting structure set up by Texas through alliances with other Texas teams. I would say for any confrence that Texas is a good draw and worth the money. Not worth the trouble.

Return to Top
#1401950 - 06/10/10 05:13 PM Re: Hey Big 12 Fans Sound Tactic
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
Okie dokie, here are my two cents.

Nebraska (and possibly Mizzou if they decide to move, and I think they will) stand to make a lot more money from TV (BigTen Network). Quite frankly, in my opinion, I don't think they'll have the same level of competition, either.. I think they stand a better chance at a conference title.

As for the 6 from Big 12 possibly going to Pac-10, I'm thinking there may end up being a PAC-10(16?) Network where they'll all stand to make mucho dinero. They may all get a better leg into recruiting out of Cali, too. I realize ya don't get much better than Texas, but Cali's not too far behind.

I don't want to see the Big 12 disolve.

At least hopefully now the Big 10 will rename the stinking conference.

I've been REALLY hoping Boise State would get an invite into a better conference, but it seems it's not going to happen. Hoping they lay the smack down on VaTech that first game!

And let me give a big YIPPPPPEEEEEEEEEE to the penalties being handed to USC. As a Vol, I'm required to hate Lane Kiffin, and I most definitely look forward to a struggle. It took Bama 10 years to get over their NCAA issues, I hope it takes as long for USC, and I'd love to see them stripped of the '04 Championship. Not that I really care about that title on the books... it's just outta spite.

Return to Top
#1401954 - 06/10/10 05:14 PM Re: Hey Big 12 Fans Ops
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
If all these changes take place, I wonder how they're gonna determine the BCS bowls.

Return to Top
#1401969 - 06/10/10 05:22 PM Re: Hey Big 12 Fans Ops
Peepers Offline
10K Club
does Nebraska still play football?

Return to Top
#1401976 - 06/10/10 05:28 PM Re: Hey Big 12 Fans Peepers
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: Peepers
does Nebraska still play football?

Yep, Two strait ten win seasons. Finished number 14 last year. Two preseason polls have them #5 and #2 next year. Lost the Big XII Title game by 2 points in :01 seconds.

Return to Top
#1401977 - 06/10/10 05:28 PM Re: Hey Big 12 Fans Peepers
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
Several coaches (Joe Paterno being the primary one) wanted the Big 10 to go to 12 teams so that they can have a playoff. We're Big 10 fans in my house and that has been talked about in Big 10 circles for a while - having an actual conference playoff. So I think that will be a big improvement.

And I second the big YAY on the USC fiasco. Hah hah, stupid Lane Kiffin. laugh I loathe Reggie Bush and he is the only reason why I didn't want the Saints to win the SuperBowl - he's a scumbag. This just proves it. Pete Carroll bolted at the right time, that's for sure!

Opinions expressed in these threads are my own and not my employer's.

Return to Top
#1401979 - 06/10/10 05:29 PM Re: Hey Big 12 Fans Sound Tactic
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Oh and Missouri is not getting a Big 11 invite.

Return to Top
#1401991 - 06/10/10 05:41 PM Re: Hey Big 12 Fans Ops
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
Originally Posted By: Ops

And let me give a big YIPPPPPEEEEEEEEEE to the penalties being handed to USC. As a Vol, I'm required to hate Lane Kiffin, and I most definitely look forward to a struggle. It took Bama 10 years to get over their NCAA issues, I hope it takes as long for USC, and I'd love to see them stripped of the '04 Championship. Not that I really care about that title on the books... it's just outta spite.

High Fives Ops! grin

Same with Bobby Bowden and Florida State!

We were against PSU joining the Big 10, but overall it's been good for them.

Not sure yet how I feel about playing the Huskers. First we have to beat Bama in September smile

Return to Top
#1401995 - 06/10/10 05:42 PM Re: Hey Big 12 Fans Sound Tactic
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
Originally Posted By: Sam Tajikistan

Well, that would have made it the Big 13, and I don't think any conference is going to fool with the number 13.

Return to Top
#1402009 - 06/10/10 05:55 PM Re: Hey Big 12 Fans Snow Bunny
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Being from Iowa and having lived in Oklahoma for the past 9 1/2 years as a Sooner fan, I don't particularly care for the Huskers. Having said that, I've enjoyed watching them progress the last couple years. If they get back to their glory, the Big XII North is a waste of time for them. They'll win it, get no recognition for playing bad competition, and play one very tough game against OU or Texas for the Championship. I don't blame them for leaving.

About a complete dessimation of the Big XII Conference, I haven't heard all of this until just recently, so I'm a bit taken back by the rumblings. I hope not. If UNL leaves, then I think BSU should be welcomed in and realign the conference to even up the 2 divisions a bit.

Who knows.

Now, all of that said, I am still an Iowa Hawkeye follower and would LOVE to see Iowa and Nebraska play every year! smile Talk about a hard-hitting, grind-it-out kind of game!! smile

Return to Top
#1402012 - 06/10/10 05:57 PM Re: Hey Big 12 Fans Pup
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Colorado left, the Big XII is done. Most Husker fans have nothing but respect and admiration of the OU program (even during its down time).

But Iowa and Nebraska did play in 1999 and 2000. Neither game was worth watching as NU blew away Iowa both times.

Return to Top
#1402020 - 06/10/10 06:04 PM Re: Hey Big 12 Fans Sound Tactic
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
UNL has a much richer tradition than Iowa and has been the dominant team since I've been alive. Iowa's program is solid, though, and a continual series with UNL would only make it better.

Sam, as I've gotten older and become more of a football fan than a homer...still a homer, but more accepting these days...I've enjoyed seeing programs evolve. I cheered when Texas won the National Championship, and I love seeing Oklahoma State getting better. I just really love the game. It'll be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

For the record, I was THIS CLOSE to attending UNL out of high school and was one of three schools I visited. smile

Return to Top
#1402032 - 06/10/10 06:16 PM Re: Hey Big 12 Fans Sound Tactic
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia

Was just going by rumor I heard on ESPN. I heard that both Mizzou and Nebraska were told to decide by Friday, and that they would possibly extend that deadline.

I don't know undersatnd why any conference wouldn't want a conference championship.

Yep, Two strait ten win seasons. Finished number 14 last year. Two preseason polls have them #5 and #2 next year. Lost the Big XII Title game by 2 points in :01 seconds.

What polls?

Return to Top
#1402046 - 06/10/10 06:26 PM Re: Hey Big 12 Fans Snow Bunny
The OG Zaibatsu Offline
Diamond Poster
The OG Zaibatsu
Texas
As a Texas fan, an SEC fan, and a Bama fan, I'd rather see Texas join the SEC West, but that doesn't seem to be an option. I'd love to see the SEC add Texas A&M and Texas in the West and Georgia Tech and Florida State in the East. Or they could just add Texas and A&M, and they could move two West teams to the East. Ole Miss and Miss State, maybe. The other Big XII teams could join the PAC 10. Looking back, I think Texas got out maneuvered when Arkansas joined the SEC.

Of course, they would have to play 7 games in their division to play every team. But in a 12 game season they could still play 2 teams from the other division and 3 out-of-conference games each year. That would mean that you only play a team from the other division every 4 years. That's not very often. The SEC would want to see Texas vs. Bama, LSU vs. Bama, UGA vs. LSU, etc... in a regular season game more often than that.
Last edited by Ruggs; 06/10/10 07:47 PM.

Return to Top
#1402133 - 06/10/10 07:38 PM Re: Hey Big 12 Fans The OG Zaibatsu
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
the logistics are massive....

Return to Top
#1402198 - 06/10/10 08:41 PM Re: Hey Big 12 Fans Pale Rider
The OG Zaibatsu Offline
Diamond Poster
The OG Zaibatsu
Texas
Quit staring at my logistics.

Return to Top
#1402216 - 06/10/10 08:59 PM Re: Hey Big 12 Fans The OG Zaibatsu
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
well, they can move all they want, until they move to the SEC, they will always be in a 2nd class conference

Return to Top
#1402217 - 06/10/10 08:59 PM Re: Hey Big 12 Fans HappyGilmore
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
well, they can move all they want, until they move to the SEC, they will always be in a 2nd class conference

Return to Top
#1402218 - 06/10/10 08:59 PM Re: Hey Big 12 Fans HappyGilmore
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club

Return to Top
#1402219 - 06/10/10 08:59 PM Re: Hey Big 12 Fans HappyGilmore
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club

Return to Top
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6