Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#140214 - 12/17/03 02:35 PM Lord of the Rings!
Jokerman Offline
10K Club

Anybody go last night? Opinions? Ocsar-worthy? No spoilers!!!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#140215 - 12/17/03 02:44 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
Fork Ate Spoon Offline
Diamond Poster
Fork Ate Spoon
Between Here and There
I thought it opened up tonight??

Return to Top
#140216 - 12/17/03 02:56 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
QuestionQuest Offline
100 Club
I saw the trilogy run all yesterday, with The Return of the King running at 10:00pm, two hours before the premier. They held a special screening at some places across the country. Extended versions of all three. Pretty awsome movie! The battles in this one did make those of the Two Towers look small! A few variations from the book, but all in all an excellent movie! We'll definitely see it again and buy the DVD set when they come out!

Return to Top
#140217 - 12/17/03 03:01 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega Offline
Diamond Poster
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega
A Grant Wood painting.
I will make it a point to see this movie with my kids. (7&11). We are all Tolkin fans. In the first two movies, the kids did not have a problem with the violence in that they viewed it as fantasy. I am normally so protective that this is quite a stretch for us. I would not let them see it without me.

Return to Top
#140218 - 12/17/03 03:09 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Oh, the sacrifices we make for our kids! I must preview this movie before I allow my 6 year old to watch it. She loved the 1st two but I could tell her when she needed to close her eyes. It looks as though I will be forced to watch it twice! (at a minimum - we own the 1st two dvds and will definitely buy the 3rd.)

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#140219 - 12/17/03 03:12 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Dig, many theatres began showing at midnight (ours locally did not).

Return to Top
#140220 - 12/17/03 03:15 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
Fork Ate Spoon Offline
Diamond Poster
Fork Ate Spoon
Between Here and There
Quote:

Dig, many theatres began showing at midnight (ours locally did not).

If I would have known that I might have gone to catch a showing yesterday.. I am sure the theatres will be way too packed tonight but I will give it a go anyways

Return to Top
#140221 - 12/17/03 07:22 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
we're going to the 8 pm show tonight... getting there @ 6:30 to get in line... i'm looking forward to it, though it'll be a very late night!

Return to Top
#140222 - 12/17/03 07:24 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
Rubaiyat Offline
Diamond Poster
Lido Deck
There was a midnight showing here last night. Many people arrived (in full costume!) by 8:00 p.m.

Return to Top
#140223 - 12/17/03 07:53 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
I don't remember those elephant critters from the book. Are they one of those "deviations from the book" that was talked about?

(Haven't seen it yet, just the commercials on TV. MOML wants to rent the other two and watch them again before going to the third.)

I know a lot of women are going ga-ga for Legolas, but I think Aragorn is the hotter of the two!

Return to Top
#140224 - 12/17/03 07:59 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

I know a lot of women are going ga-ga for Legolas, but I think Aragorn is the hotter of the two!

I'm with you sister! Way Hotter!

Return to Top
#140225 - 12/17/03 08:44 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Oh great. . .this is just what I wanted to get into. . .

;-)

Return to Top
#140226 - 12/17/03 08:50 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Guess I'll have to watch our DVDs. My family gave me the first one for Christmas last year. (It's tradition to receive a movie in the stockings.) I think it's just because they wanted it. I haven't seen it yet. They have also bought the second one (haven't see it either). But if there are some hotties in it.....hmmmmm.

Return to Top
#140227 - 12/17/03 08:51 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

Quote:

Oh great. . .this is just what I wanted to get into. . .

;-)

LOL Sorry, we'll pm each other and keep it off the thread! I don't know that I would want to watch two male posters decide between two "hot babes".

Return to Top
#140228 - 12/17/03 09:07 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
QuestionQuest Offline
100 Club
(Regarding the elephants) No, they were in the third book. They were mentioned as Sauron gathered his forces from the eastern nations and during the battle before Minas Tirith. I think that the Hobbits called them Olyphaunts or something and elsewhere they were called something like mumakil or something. Don't count on the spelling. (Some awesome effests and scenes in the battle involving them) As jokerman said, I won't go into leading men (prefer more the elf maid vs. shield maid debate), but Legolas does take part in one such scene, you'll know it when you see it.

Return to Top
#140229 - 12/17/03 09:09 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
The ephalants were in one of the books. The battle at Helms Deep was not done in strict compliance with the book. The Ents showed up to help them - not the Elves - although I thoroughly enjoyed that part of the movie. Unless there is a footnote somewhere or a reference in Simarillian(sp?) that I missed. I re-read The Two Towers after I saw the movie. I did enjoy the movie and thought it was done quite well.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#140230 - 12/17/03 09:16 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
QuestionQuest Offline
100 Club
Get the extended edition of the first two movies. You'll be satisfied I think. My memory is that the ents went to Isengard, and something else showed up at Helm's Deep.

Return to Top
#140231 - 12/17/03 09:30 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
I have only read most of the first book and have seen the first two movies. I did read The Hobbit, however. Based on my reading of the first book, if the movies followed the books exactly, you'd be sitting in the theater for six hours for just one movie. Tolkien is a great writer. His books sort of meander, he takes his time with the main plot of the book by having his characters engage in little stories within the story (Tom Bombadil, Bilbo's riddle game with Gollum). However, he does it so masterfully.

Return to Top
#140232 - 12/17/03 09:33 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

Tolkien is a great writer. His books sort of meander, he takes his time with the main plot of the book by having his characters engage in little stories within the story (Tom Bombadil, Bilbo's riddle game with Gollum). However, he does it so masterfully.

So true!

Return to Top
#140233 - 12/17/03 10:40 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega Offline
Diamond Poster
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega
A Grant Wood painting.
Can you imagine that Tolken and C.S. Lewis used to "hoist a pint" together? What I would give to sit in a pub with those two!

I asked my wife to pick up another copy of the Hobit for a friend of my daughter. They want to read them together and I am more than willing to foot the bill! What a treat for me to help kids that want to read "the good stuff". My daugter will never want for reading material.

Return to Top
#140234 - 12/17/03 10:40 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
Czargazer Offline
Gold Star
Czargazer
Pacific Northwest
As I recall, the ents went to Isengard to have some fun, and sent a large contingent of semi-conscious trees guided by a few ents to Helms Deep to block the only escape route out of the valley. The fleeing orcs went into the "forest" and never came back out...

Return to Top
#140235 - 12/17/03 11:45 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
QuestionQuest Offline
100 Club
Bingo, a large number of semi-conscious, very, very angry, hungry trees.

Return to Top
#140236 - 12/18/03 02:19 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Quote:

Can you imagine that Tolken and C.S. Lewis used to "hoist a pint" together? What I would give to sit in a pub with those two!

Tolkien and Lewis were part of a group of literary heavyweights at Oxford called "The Inklings." They used to meet frequently and read aloud excerpts of what they were writing at the time. Imagine such an assemblage of wit, brilliance, and creativity in one room!

Return to Top
#140237 - 12/18/03 02:34 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
Well i saw the movie last night... it was soooooooooooooooo amazing! i never moved for the enitre movie! i need to see it again, as there was lots of things i'm sure i missed, but it took my breath away! i would love to now watch the entire saga at one time... best movie i have seen maybe ever!

Return to Top
#140238 - 12/18/03 07:28 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
Tomorrow begins my Christmas Vacation. I plan to see it then (for the first time). Christianity Today has some interesting articles about LOTR-Return of the King in their on-line newsletter today, but I had to stop reading them at lunch since it seemed they were giving away too much of the story. I've heard a rumor(did I hear it here? ) that Peter Jackson was going to tackle The Chronicles of Narnia next. That should be very interesting, if true.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2