Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#140239 - 12/18/03 08:42 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
Neytiri Offline
Platinum Poster
Neytiri
Pandora
I went yesterday afternoon (left work early). Nothing beats going on opening day. Audience is so pumped up and cheered when the baddies got killes, and cried in the appropriate moments (heard much sniffing). Great effects, great story, great ending. But who wanted it to end??

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#140240 - 12/18/03 09:05 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
chuck Offline
chuck
northwest missouri
I'm really looking forward to seeing the Return of the King. Tolkien was big when I was in college, Dungeons and Dragons and all that. Loved the books. The first two movies were fantastic. I spent a week reading all four books and almost flunked out of college over them.

Return to Top
#140241 - 12/18/03 09:33 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
I've not been so fanatic about these movies, but I did enjoy each of the first 2. I watched 2 last night on DVD (not the extended version) and am psyched about watching 3. I agree, JRR Tolkein is incredible.

Return to Top
#140242 - 12/18/03 09:38 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
I heard that some theatres in OK City are showing all three back to back to back.....9 hours of LOTR. I don't know that I could do that!!

Return to Top
#140243 - 12/18/03 09:47 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
I plan on doing that at home when the 3rd is eventually released on DVD. I have to be able to smoke, and it's nice to be able to pause for potty breaks!

Return to Top
#140244 - 12/18/03 10:32 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
QuestionQuest Offline
100 Club
Actually, the length of the 3 back-to-back wasn't so bad (all three were extended versions), they gave us an hour break between each movie. The total time at the theater was long though, about 13 hours total, starting at 1:00 pm tuesday. We ended up getting home at about 2:30 am wednesday morning and waking up at 6:30 that morning for work. OUCH!

Return to Top
#140245 - 12/28/03 07:58 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
For those who are interested, Christian History Newsletter has a series of articles on J.R.R. Tolkien here

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#140246 - 12/28/03 08:41 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
i hear the extended version of the third movie will be in excess of 5 hours when released next year. So without breaks, the 3 movies in extended versions will run in excess of 13 hours-without any breaks. I couldn't get through the third money without a restroom break. Where are the Depends ?

Return to Top
#140247 - 12/29/03 02:23 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I went yesterday afternoon (left work early). Nothing beats going on opening day. Audience is so pumped up and cheered when the baddies got killes, and cried in the appropriate moments (heard much sniffing). Great effects, great story, great ending. But who wanted it to end??

I wanted it to end! Sorry all, but aside from the battle scene, I was bored. But I am not a LOTR fan - just went to make the Mrs. Happy. First one was okay, 2nd was ok, 3rd was blah. Part of it is that I can't stand Frodo, especially in the third one.

Return to Top
#140248 - 12/29/03 04:00 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega Offline
Diamond Poster
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega
A Grant Wood painting.
Saw it yesterday w/ my 7 yr old son. He had no problem staying with the story. I loved it but I wished it was a little shorter. Where would they have cut that movie?

Overall it was a great flick and a fitting tribute to the author. Worth seeing. I don't know if it would be worth owning.

Return to Top
#140249 - 12/29/03 04:03 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
My family loved it and thought it was the best out of three. I have yet to sit down long enough to watch 1 & 2.

Return to Top
#140250 - 12/29/03 10:53 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
chuck Offline
chuck
northwest missouri
I finally got to see the third installment Sat. the 27th. I thought overal Return of the King was good. I was a little disappointed in where they skirted from the book on occasions. The movie was long. I'm hoping that the feeling will come back in my legs.

Return to Top
#140251 - 12/30/03 01:48 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I finally got to see the third installment Sat. the 27th. I thought overal Return of the King was good. I was a little disappointed in where they skirted from the book on occasions. The movie was long. I'm hoping that the feeling will come back in my legs.

I second that Chuck, and I saw it last week! They should at least come around and fill up your popcorn tub at some point!

Return to Top
#140252 - 12/30/03 02:51 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
chuck Offline
chuck
northwest missouri
With the price to get into movies, they should serve wine and cheese.

Return to Top
#140253 - 12/30/03 03:45 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's been open for 2 weeks here, yep I've seen it, wouldn't miss it
Now i'm waiting for the box set

Return to Top
#140254 - 01/02/04 04:07 PM Re: Lord of the Rings!
Jokerman Offline
10K Club

We saw it opening night, and went again last night to take my 10-year old brother. He loved it.

I can bet that the extended version of the 3rd movie will be much longer than the theatre version. It felt very rushed, especially once Frodo entered Mordor. And Aragorn's march to Mordor was ridiculously quick, as well. You can tell they cut a lot from those sequences.

Overall, a very good movie. The theatre version, however, is not as good as the previous two.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2