Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1408753 - 06/28/10 02:23 PM ATM dispute
reknab Offline
Gold Star
not where I want to be
Customer is disputing an ATM withdrawal. The branch that took the dispute had her fill out the wrong paperwork. We sent the correct ppwk to the customer with a return envelope and also left several messages with her. SHe never returned the correct paperwork. We gave her provisional credit and now that the 60 days is up, we'd like to take it back because she hasn't provided us with the correct paperwork. Can we?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1408890 - 06/28/10 05:27 PM Re: ATM dispute reknab
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
Did you research the error to determine if it was valid?

Return to Top
#1408895 - 06/28/10 05:40 PM Re: ATM dispute BrendaC
reknab Offline
Gold Star
not where I want to be
The ATM owner is stating that their ATM was in balance that day and we can't get pictures as there is no camera at the atm.

Return to Top
#1408900 - 06/28/10 05:48 PM Re: ATM dispute reknab
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
As far as I'm aware, the 'paperwork' can only be requested for use of granting the provisional credit. I believe we have a responsibility to give the final credit based on either an oral or written complaint.

I believe you can can ask the other bank for a copy of the balancing statement for that day so that you can confirm that there reply about being in balance is accurate. You're atm processor might be able to help in that communication.

Perhaps someone else can add more value?

Return to Top
#1409308 - 06/29/10 01:23 PM Re: ATM dispute Doug Hendrickson
reknab Offline
Gold Star
not where I want to be
Originally Posted By: Doug Hendrickson
As far as I'm aware, the 'paperwork' can only be requested for use of granting the provisional credit. I believe we have a responsibility to give the final credit based on either an oral or written complaint.

So if a customer does not provide us with the paperwork that we request for filing a dispute, under reg e we don't have to give them provisional credit but we do have to give them final credit based on their oral complaint??

Return to Top
#1409324 - 06/29/10 01:56 PM Re: ATM dispute reknab
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
I believe that's the way it works.

Return to Top
#1409444 - 06/29/10 04:25 PM Re: ATM dispute Doug Hendrickson
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The ONLY thing in Reg E §205.11 that hinges on a written statement of a consumer's claim is provisional credit. If an oral claim identifies the customer, the account, the transaction(s) and the reasons the customer thinks there's an error, you've got to, within the time constraints imposed by §205.11, investigate the claim and finalize your decision; and, if the customer's claim is valid, adjust the customer's account subject to any limitations in §205.6.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z