Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1410157 - 06/30/10 06:16 PM Authorized Signer adds name to Check Order
Runnin' on Empty Offline
100 Club
May an Authorized Signer order checks and add his name to the Owner's Name that appears on the checks? We will verify the request with the Owner before acting on this but I need help knowing what the bank's responsibilities are with this request. Nothing in the Deposit Agreement addresses this.

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#1410448 - 06/30/10 10:17 PM Re: Authorized Signer adds name to Check Order Runnin' on Empty
Runnin' on Empty Offline
100 Club
Would this need to be a business decision made at our bank? Anybody????

Return to Top
#1410457 - 06/30/10 10:55 PM Re: Authorized Signer adds name to Check Order Runnin' on Empty
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
This would be a decision for your bank, based upon your account agreement and, if a business account, any resolution from the business.

I think you are doing the right thing to protect the bank by verifying such a major change with the account owner.

You might want to consider amending your deposit agreements to cover such situations after reviewing all of the facts.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1410525 - 07/01/10 01:31 PM Re: Authorized Signer adds name to Check Order Kathleen O. Blanchard
dickr Offline
Gold Star
dickr
Middlesex Cty NJ
I'd be very reluctant to add the name without some designation of status, as would be done with a POA or Executor, even with the consent of the account owner. Otherwise, especially on a personal account, it could imply joint ownership. Unfortunately, there are any number of check printing outfits that will print checks with whatever the order form says.

Return to Top
#1410593 - 07/01/10 02:45 PM Re: Authorized Signer adds name to Check Order dickr

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
At least when an individual orders checks from outside the bank the bank cannot be construed as agreeing with the transaction.

Return to Top
#1410623 - 07/01/10 03:24 PM Re: Authorized Signer adds name to Check Order Runnin' on Empty
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
It's a policy issue. I would not allow it. As noted, if they buy their checks on the Internet or from an ad in the Sunday paper, there is little or nothing you can do about it. However, if they buy them from your bank you may be complicit if someone reasonably believes the "agent" actually owns the account.

Again, a matter of opinion and policy, but I would allow an attorney-in-fact's name to be put on a check if the fiduciary capacity was indicated next to the name. I hold my Mom's POA and have signed checks carrying only her name for years without being questioned. However, one retail store told me "Your ID is no good unless your name is on the check." Since Mom needed the TV I did not want to begin a debate, but simply pointed to the language above the signature line: my name, attorney-in-fact. They thought that was peachy.

Return to Top
#1410647 - 07/01/10 03:47 PM Re: Authorized Signer adds name to Check Order Elwood P. Dowd
dickr Offline
Gold Star
dickr
Middlesex Cty NJ
Would you advise a SAR (and closeout)if you find that checks are being negotiated with other than the legal owner's name printed on the checks?

Return to Top
#1411136 - 07/02/10 12:29 PM Re: Authorized Signer adds name to Check Order dickr
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
No, not based on that fact alone.

Return to Top
#1411328 - 07/02/10 02:42 PM Re: Authorized Signer adds name to Check Order Kathleen O. Blanchard
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: MS Kaybee
At least when an individual orders checks from outside the bank the bank cannot be construed as agreeing with the transaction.

unless the bank accepts these and pays them in the normal course of business, which it would do as no one looks at checks anymore unless it hits a large dollar threshold

Return to Top
#1413194 - 07/09/10 01:57 AM Re: Authorized Signer adds name to Check Order Runnin' on Empty
JavaBanker Offline
JavaBanker
I would agree with those who felt this would not be a good practice without the proper authorization/documentation from the account owner(s). If this request was made at our institution by an authorized signor, we would not act upon that request and inform the signor that this would need to be requested by the owner.

Return to Top
#1413196 - 07/09/10 02:17 AM Re: Authorized Signer adds name to Check Order HappyGilmore

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Originally Posted By: Happy Gilmore
Originally Posted By: MS Kaybee

unless the bank accepts these and pays them in the normal course of business, which it would do as no one looks at checks anymore unless it hits a large dollar threshold

Except that paying the checks is less direct than actually processing the order for the checks. It would all be argued in court, of course!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett