Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1411470 - 07/02/10 05:12 PM Sleep Number bed? Need mattress recommendations!
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
Since you're all so helpful with your opinions, I thought I'd ask about the Sleep Number bed here. I posted the question on Facebook yesterday and MAN, did I get a ton of responses (mostly negative). smile

We're mattress shopping and most likely we'll purchase a new one over the weekend. Hubby always thought he wanted a Sleep Number, since he has a bad back and thinks it would help. I tried them at the store and wasn't thrilled. We're leaning towards getting either a Simmons or a Sealy we saw - a firm king-size mattress. He needs firm, I'll sleep on anything as long as it's a little softer than sleeping on the floor. wink

He still wants to explore the Sleep Number bed, but based on the feedback I got from friends, I think our best bet would be a traditional mattress.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Opinions expressed in these threads are my own and not my employer's.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1411476 - 07/02/10 05:15 PM Re: Sleep Number bed? Need mattress recommendations! Aggs
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
I love my Tempurpedic bed but my bf hates it--says it makes his back hurt (whereas it make mine feel better).

I'm inclined to say that if you'll sleep on anything, then let him make the choice.

My bf thinks he wants a sleep number...when/if we get married, we mgiht do the each man picks his own twin bed and we push them together laugh

Return to Top
#1411477 - 07/02/10 05:15 PM Re: Sleep Number bed? Need mattress recommendations! Aggs
Busy Bee, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
PacificNW
My folks have the Tempurpedic bed and it is so comfortable! I was at their house yesterday afternoon because I was sick. I took a nap there and I'm not kidding, it was like the bed was giving me a hug! It was very, very comfy!

My mom says she LOVES her bed and it was well worth the investment!

I don't have any opinions on the Sleep Number, though! Sorry!

Return to Top
#1411483 - 07/02/10 05:21 PM Re: Sleep Number bed? Need mattress recommendations! Dip
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
Originally Posted By: Dip
when/if we get married, we mgiht do the each man picks his own twin bed and we push them together laugh

Push them together? Why bother?! wink Some of the best sleep I've had happened when hubs and I were staying in a hotel with 2 doubles (they were out of kings or whatnot). LOL

Ironically enough, my parents have slept in separate beds (and separate bedrooms! LMAO) for years. My dad snores horribly and my mom had enough. As soon as I moved out she took my room. So now she has her own "girly" bedroom with a super comfy queen bed and she finally sleeps well. They're happily married, they're just the "weird" couple that sleeps in separate rooms. wink

Opinions expressed in these threads are my own and not my employer's.

Return to Top
#1411486 - 07/02/10 05:23 PM Re: Sleep Number bed? Need mattress recommendations! Busy Bee, CRCM
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Like the sleepnumber (not love)for comfort. It is a PITA when it leaks from the fittings at the end of the hoses had to replace 3 of 4 (warrantee). Had to replace mattress part(partial warrantee) and the cover sagged (warrantee).

CAMS

Return to Top
#1411503 - 07/02/10 05:42 PM Re: Sleep Number bed? Need mattress recommendations! edAudit
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
I have a sleep number bed and I love it. I don't really appreciate how it works for me until I sleep on a different bed for a couple of nights. One recommendation I would make is that you go for the king size bed. The individual mattresses are wider and you avoid any dipping that is common with the full/queen sized beds. My sister and her husband went with the king size and love it!

Return to Top
#1411505 - 07/02/10 05:42 PM Re: Sleep Number bed? Need mattress recommendations! edAudit
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
I had a memory foam mattress, and loved it for about a year. Then it started to sag and made my back hurt.

Return to Top
#1411509 - 07/02/10 05:46 PM Re: Sleep Number bed? Need mattress recommendations! B_F
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
We've had a Tempurpedic for about 8 years-I still love it, the mrs is starting to have issues with her back and the bed doesn't help.

Return to Top
#1411510 - 07/02/10 05:47 PM Re: Sleep Number bed? Need mattress recommendations! B_F
Mocha's Mom Offline
Platinum Poster
Mocha's Mom
Western MA
I tried a sleep number bed at a hotel in DC last year and Hated it!! You could try this and see - there are quite a few hotels that feature them in an effort to help the company sell their beds. I did not like it tho. Not a fan of memory foam mattresses either. A few years back I bought a mattress with a foam cushion top but it has flattened out with a imprint of me!

Return to Top
#1411511 - 07/02/10 05:48 PM Re: Sleep Number bed? Need mattress recommendations! edAudit
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Aggs, neither of us snore and we sleep fine together at hotels with comfy beds. We talked about him getting a sleep number and me getting another tempur...so we can do liek those old peopel commercials with the adjustable beds that adjust separately for each person. Thats another thing, when he's nto over, I sleep with my bed adjusted with the feet up a lot and the head up just a tad. I'd hate to not have beds together...liek to snuggle and talk at ngiht smile

If I give in and we get a normal firm mattress, I'm afraid I'll have a sore back again...being thinner and tall with a deeper curve in my lower back, i need more giving support, especially being a back sleeper. If I lay on the floor on my back, you can slip an arm under my lower back! That's also why being able to adjsut the bed with feet up helps...reduces that curve and supports the back.

My hesitation with the sleep number is that i feel liek if it's full of air, it wont adjust to different curves on ym body the way foam or independant springs do. Can anyoen speak about that--the kind of true support a sleep number gives???

Return to Top
#1411522 - 07/02/10 06:00 PM Re: Sleep Number bed? Need mattress recommendations! Dip
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Dip, I have similar back/posture issues plus some injury-induced chiropractic problems and arthritis added in. I like a SOFT mattress - plenty of 'give' to cradle my back. The hubby needs a super firm mattress or he either doesn't sleep well or wakes up with a sore back. Right now we have a memory foam topper that is wearing out. It still suits me fine when he isn't home (I just curl up in the 'hole' it's developed in the center) but with both of us it's uncomfortable.

We've discussed both the tempurpedics and the sleep-numbers, as well. We're going to need to purchase something soon, so I'm glad to see this thread. Thanks, Aggs, for starting it!

Return to Top
#1411564 - 07/02/10 06:33 PM Re: Sleep Number bed? Need mattress recommendations! RR Becca
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Aggs, I cannot sleep with out my select comfort. I have had three back surgeries and will probably have at least one more due to DDD. The only thing I wish I had done differently is get the feather bed topper on mine but I ended up buying one at another place and it works really well. If I have to stay at hotels, I try to find one with the select comfort otherwise I have troubles walking the next day.

Return to Top
#1411578 - 07/02/10 06:46 PM Re: Sleep Number bed? Need mattress recommendations! RR Becca
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: RR Becca
I like a SOFT mattress - plenty of 'give' to cradle my back. The hubby needs a super firm mattress or he either doesn't sleep well or wakes up with a sore back.

Becca, that is SO us!!! Your hubby probably won't liek Tempurpedic...my bf doesnt sleep well and gets a sore back on it frown Considering the expense, I wouldn't get one for your hubs.
Last edited by Dip; 07/02/10 06:46 PM.

Return to Top
#1411580 - 07/02/10 06:47 PM Re: Sleep Number bed? Need mattress recommendations! kms
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
sertta beauty rest perfect sleeper...kicks all other matresses asses...

Return to Top
#1411586 - 07/02/10 06:49 PM Re: Sleep Number bed? Need mattress recommendations! HappyGilmore
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
Read up on mattresses on Consumer Reports. I just bought one, and the info on there was extremely valuable. Bottom line, you have to lay on the thing for at least 10 minutes to make a choice, and one night on the mattress should be enough to make a firm commitment.

Return to Top
#1411588 - 07/02/10 06:49 PM Re: Sleep Number bed? Need mattress recommendations! Dip
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
That's what we had before - a firm mattress with an egg crate on top of it. It wasn't really 'perfect' for either of us, but was the best compromise we could come up with. FWIW, he was fine with the memory foam topper until it started showing an imprint in the middle.

I'm thinking a firm mattress with a faux-feather topper. The last time we went to Vegas, that's how the hotel bed was set up and we both slept just dandy. Of course....the mass quantities of booze could have had something to do with that, as well. wink

Return to Top
#1411598 - 07/02/10 06:52 PM Re: Sleep Number bed? Need mattress recommendations! RR Becca
A_G Offline
10K Club
<---- sleeps on a used mattress

Return to Top
#1411637 - 07/02/10 07:32 PM Re: Sleep Number bed? Need mattress recommendations! A_G
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Hate the sleep number... it's like sleeping on a balloon.

Also not a fan of the Tempurpedics, IMO, takes too long to adjust to my body each time I move. Plus, I always felt hot and sweaty in it. Just not my thing.

Bought a Simmons Beautyrest Black Series... best mattress I have ever had. Love it.

Return to Top
#1411652 - 07/02/10 07:42 PM Re: Sleep Number bed? Need mattress recommendations! HappyGilmore
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
bed roll under the milky way...

Return to Top
#1411668 - 07/02/10 08:05 PM Re: Sleep Number bed? Need mattress recommendations! Pale Rider
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
I got a tempurpedic last year and did some research. You can get all differing types of opinions but they have several different firmness levels. I went with the firmest. I would recommend it.

Pros: Good back support, does not attract dust mites, easy to clean, will probably last a life time.

Cons: Has a wierd smell at first, takes a bit to break in, retains heat.
Last edited by Fun Police; 07/02/10 08:06 PM.

Return to Top
#1411674 - 07/02/10 08:21 PM Re: Sleep Number bed? Need mattress recommendations! Dip
doobydoobydoo Offline
Power Poster
doobydoobydoo
Basking in the Cool Weather
Originally Posted By: Dip
I love my Tempurpedic bed but my bf hates it--says it makes his back hurt (whereas it make mine feel better).

I'm inclined to say that if you'll sleep on anything, then let him make the choice.

My bf thinks he wants a sleep number...when/if we get married, we mgiht do the each man picks his own twin bed and we push them together laugh

you're a man?

Return to Top
#1411691 - 07/02/10 08:51 PM Re: Sleep Number bed? Need mattress recommendations! Aggs
NM Tiger Offline
New Mexico
Best Mattress I have ever slept on that was totally firm
Beauty Rest Farmington, Extra Extra Firm. (Yes it had two Extra on it)

Return to Top
#1411735 - 07/03/10 01:47 AM Re: Sleep Number bed? Need mattress recommendations! NM Tiger
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
We flip and rotate our mattress and the memory foam topper every three months. The mattress came from Verlo with arrows on it showing which way to flip it, end to end or side to side. Flipping it has really made a difference keeping the mattress from denting, etc. The memory topper came from Overstock.com. Works fine and inexpensive enough that I'll probably toss it and get a new one soon.

Return to Top
#1411745 - 07/03/10 03:16 PM Re: Sleep Number bed? Need mattress recommendations! HappyGilmore
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Originally Posted By: Happy Gilmore
sertta beauty rest perfect sleeper...kicks all other matresses asses...

This is what I have, too, and I absolutely love it. It's way better than any other mattress I've ever slept on.

Edited to add: I flip and rotate the mattress every 3 months, too, which helps it wear evenly and last years longer.
Last edited by BurntSienna; 07/03/10 03:17 PM.

Return to Top
#1411750 - 07/03/10 04:47 PM Re: Sleep Number bed? Need mattress recommendations! #Just Jay
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
Originally Posted By: Just Jay
Hate the sleep number... it's like sleeping on a balloon.

Also not a fan of the Tempurpedics, IMO, takes too long to adjust to my body each time I move. Plus, I always felt hot and sweaty in it. Just not my thing.

Bought a Simmons Beautyrest Black Series... best mattress I have ever had. Love it.

I second that review.

Sleep Number hurt my entire body. Tempur material makes me really hot.

I'm a devoted Simmons mattress owner.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2