Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1411512 - 07/02/10 05:50 PM Denial Authority
Patsy Cline Offline
Diamond Poster
Patsy Cline
On the road...
Forgive me for the double post - I posted this in a different forum and I have not gotten any replies.

I am reviewing the bank's new commission compensation plan that goes into effect soon. There is a statement that says, commission originators have no mortgage authority. Management approval with proper loan authority is required on all mortgages.

I asked for clarification that this means that the originators cannot deny applications. Someone with loan authority must approve/deny all applications. I was told that you do not need loan authority to deny an application. Orignators can deny an application - they just cannot approve an application.

Does this make sense? It doesn't to me? Shouldn't a loan officer with sufficient lending authority have to review an application for approval and/or denial?

This seems like an issue for a lot of reasons. Specifically, because they are eligible for commission compensation only if the loan volume is above a defined volume target.

Thoughts?

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?" ~ unknown

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1411592 - 07/02/10 06:50 PM Re: Denial Authority Patsy Cline
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
If your management wants to give them the ability to deny a request, based on standard criteria, then that is a matter for your internal policy.

Quote:
This seems like an issue for a lot of reasons. Specifically, because they are eligible for commission compensation only if the loan volume is above a defined volume target.

This would be more of an issue to me if they had the authority to approve the loan request vs denying it.

Return to Top
#1411604 - 07/02/10 06:55 PM Re: Denial Authority Dan Persfull
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Make sure they are appropriately trained in Reg B and fair lending. You may want to have a process for a review of denials for appropriateness and consistency.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1411609 - 07/02/10 07:04 PM Re: Denial Authority Kathleen O. Blanchard
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
See the other post for my response.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z