Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1412784 - 07/08/10 02:07 PM Reg Z Billing Error Rights Forms
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
I give up. Can someone give me the chapter verse concerning when to provide G-3(A) and G-4(A) Billing-Error Rights Model Forms?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1412809 - 07/08/10 02:58 PM Re: Reg Z Billing Error Rights Forms swiggles
Reads Regs Offline
Diamond Poster
The following comes from the Official Staff Commentary to Appendix G of Regulation Z.

"For home-equity plans subject to the requirements of § 226.5b, at the creditor’s option, a creditor either may use G–3 or G–3(A), and for creditors that use the short form, G–4 or G–4(A). For open-end (not home-secured) plans that not subject to the requirements of § 226.5b, creditors properly use G–3(A) and G–4(A)."

See the right hand column of page 7921 of the 2/22/10 issue of the Federal Register.

It looks like you have a choice of forms for HELOCs but you must use G-3(A) and G-4(A) for open end credit that is not secured by a home.

Return to Top
#1412830 - 07/08/10 03:22 PM Re: Reg Z Billing Error Rights Forms Reads Regs
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Ok and then where in the Reg does it state that the bank must provide the notice and when it must be provided. I can't find it.

Return to Top
#1412947 - 07/08/10 06:04 PM Re: Reg Z Billing Error Rights Forms swiggles
Raquel Offline
100 Club
From my tattered and torn, dog-earred, tear-stained copy of Reg Z:

The requirements for initial delivery are found in 226.6(a)(5) for home secured and 226.6(b)5)(iii) for non home-secured.

For subsequent delivery (either annual or alternate choice), look at 226.9(a)(1) and (2).

I hope this is the information you are looking for.

Return to Top
#1412990 - 07/08/10 06:49 PM Re: Reg Z Billing Error Rights Forms Raquel
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
It is, Raquel, and I DID finally find it and felt like an idiot for NOT being able to locate it. I'm a day late and a dollar short with the Billing Rights Notice changes!

Here's what I gather from reading:

Account Opening Disclosure

• Home Equity - Can use G-3 or G-3(A)
  • Other Open End Accts - Must use G-3(A)
OK.....so why would anyone want to provide two different disclosures? It makes sense to just use G-3(A) for every open-end account!

Subsequent Disclosure (we provide in periodic statements)

• Home Equity - Can use G-4 or G-4(A)
  • Other Open End Accts - Can use G-4 or G-4(A)
OK....so if it's acceptable to use either form for any account, why would anyone opt for the long form?!!

I'm I missing something?

Account Opening - we'll use G-3(A)....period.
Periodic Statement - we'll use G-4(A).....period.

Someone please advise me if I'm wrong or if I've stupidly missed something.

Return to Top
#1415587 - 07/15/10 07:08 PM Re: Reg Z Billing Error Rights Forms swiggles
Dave M_TCA Offline
Platinum Poster
Dave M_TCA
Wherever my most benevolent em...
Originally Posted By: swiggles

Subsequent Disclosure (we provide in periodic statements)

• Home Equity - Can use G-4 or G-4(A)
  • Other Open End Accts - Can use G-4 or G-4(A)

I thought the commentary to the G forms stated:

For home-equity plans subject to the requirements of § 226.5b, at the creditor’s option, a creditor either may use G–3 or G–3(A), and for creditors that use the short form, G–4 or G–4(A). For open-end (not home-secured) plans that not subject to the requirements of § 226.5b, creditors properly use G–3(A) and G–4(A).

Wouldn't that seem to state that the G-4 could not be used for other than HELOCs or am I missing something?

Return to Top
#1415754 - 07/15/10 09:51 PM Re: Reg Z Billing Error Rights Forms Dave M_TCA
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
????????

§ 226.6 Account-opening disclosures.
(a) Rules affecting home-equity plans.
(5) Statement of billing rights . A statement that outlines the consumer's rights and the creditor's responsibilities under §§226.12(c) and 226.13 and that is substantially similar to the statement found in Model Form G–3 or, at the creditor's option G–3(A), in Appendix G to this part.

(b) Rules affecting open-end (not home-secured) plans .
(5) Additional disclosures for open-end (not home-secured) plans .
(iii) Statement of billing rights . A statement that outlines the consumer's rights and the creditor's responsibilities under §§226.12(c) and 226.13 and that is substantially similar to the statement found in Model Form G–3(A) in Appendix G to this part.

§ 226.9 Subsequent disclosure requirements.
(a) Furnishing statement of billing rights .
(1) Annual statement …….
(2) Alternative summary statement. As an alternative to paragraph (a)(1) of this section, the creditor may mail or deliver, on or with each periodic statement, a statement substantially similar to Model Form G-4 or Model Form G-4(A) in appendix G to this part, as applicable. Creditors offering home-equity plans subject to the requirements of § 226.5b may use either Model Form, at their option.

Return to Top
#1561201 - 06/06/11 09:21 PM Re: Reg Z Billing Error Rights Forms swiggles
FMBrw Offline
New Poster
If we do not offer credit cards at all, but do offer debit cards linked to DDA accounts would the bottom section of model form G-4(A)titled, "Your Rights If You Are Dissatisfied With Your Credit Card Purchases" apply and need to be included on the notice?

Return to Top
#1561256 - 06/06/11 11:25 PM Re: Reg Z Billing Error Rights Forms FMBrw
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
They would not be "Credit Card" purchases.

Return to Top
#1561801 - 06/07/11 08:57 PM Re: Reg Z Billing Error Rights Forms rlcarey
FMBrw Offline
New Poster
That's what I thought. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Thank you!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z