Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#141303 - 12/18/03 07:49 PM Stupid things you've done!
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
This is a post to continue from the washer/dryer fight post.

Describe a stupid thing you have done recently or in the past that you look back and laugh.

One Sunday afternoon I decided to finally fix the garage door. One of the wheels a the bottom was breaking out of the housing so it would always jam. Anyway I purchased the replacement piece and proceeded to use my wrench to undo the bolts. I didn't even think anything was wrong when I noticed the last bolt was coming out rather hard. Then I realized why. The piece I was replacing was attached to the spring loaded cable and when I removed the last bolt I saw a spark and an aweful pain in the forhead. At first I though it just slapped me hard and I would get a bruise. Then the blood came. Now I have a scare on my forhead. After they stitched me up and I went back to work and people asked what happened I told them that's where they removed my brain.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#141304 - 12/18/03 08:15 PM Re: Stupid things you've done!
Mr. Clean Offline
Platinum Poster
Mr. Clean
New England
Oh Nikko, fotflol, that one gave me more than a chuckle!! And I'm glad your head sounds ok too!!

Return to Top
#141305 - 12/18/03 08:17 PM Re: Stupid things you've done!
Uncle_Milty Offline
Gold Star
New Jersey
Expecting an important call regarding a job opportunity, I was cleaning up in the kitchen when the phone rang. Jumping towards the phone I forgot that the dishwasher was open and came crashing down on top of the bottom rack of dishes. I got up thinking my arm was broken, but answered the phone. I carried on a 10 minute conversation with a potential employer in terrible pain (which must have been obvious to the caller) and then went to the emergency room.

Turns out I had just dislocated my shoulder, but ended up having surgery for it. I did not get another interview for the job.

Return to Top
#141306 - 12/18/03 08:24 PM Re: Stupid things you've done!
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
When I was twenty (still in that invincible phase of life) I was riding horses at a friends house. It had rained recently and the barn lot was muddy. To avoid getting my shoes dirty, I decided to hop on the horse I was leading. Bareback (translates into NO SADDLE) with just the halter and lead rope. We made it across the lot, and then out of the blue she started bucking. I held on for three jumps before she threw me high enough my friend thought I would end up in the power lines to the barn. It took a good 30 minutes to get me off the ground and into his truck. We went to his parents house and somehow I made it to the couch. Three days later I was still there, on the couch, I couldn't move. My mom came and took me to the doctor. After much pain and agony just getting there the doctor told me I had fractured my pelvis in two places. I was in bed for a month.

Definately not the smartest thing I've ever done, and I had plenty of time to think about it!

Return to Top
#141307 - 12/18/03 08:31 PM Re: Stupid things you've done!
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
You want me to ADMIT to stupid stuff I've done? No way! (There's not enough room in this forum! )

Return to Top
#141308 - 12/18/03 08:43 PM Re: Stupid things you've done!
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
I'll confess. Just this week, I was finishing up some Christmas gifts. I was making strawberry honey (it's very good, in spite of this story). I had a BIG pan full of honey and strawberry jam heating up so it would all melt together. I decided it wasn't going fast enough, so I turned the heat up a little bit.

I left the kitchen for a couple of seconds to get something from another room. I could hear some sizzles when I stepped back in the kitchen, and figured out that the honey was boiling over.

I moved the pan, turned off the burner, and then figured out that about a 1/3 of the honey had run down underneath the cooktop. I turned off the breaker, unscrewed the cooktop and proceeded to clean up all that honey. WHAT A MESS!! While I was cleaning it up, some of it sloshed (yes, honey sloshes when there's that much of it) over to the wires and controls, and there was a big pop and some sparks. Now the burners won't come on, the oven won't come on, nothing. I had to call an appliance repair service, and of course they couldn't come until Friday at 4:00 p.m.!

All I can say is those people better really like that strawberry honey!!

Return to Top
#141309 - 12/18/03 08:44 PM Re: Stupid things you've done!
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Since the theme seems to be injury related, I'll confess that when I was a senior in high school, I lived near a lake. The highway (2 lane) went over the lake in 3 places. The "3rd bridge" as it was called was were everyone went to jump into the lake. (I Know...I am amazed at the stupidity even now) My boyfriend at the time and I decided to stand on the guardrail and jump off holding hands. I remember saying 1,2,3...the next thing I remember is tossing my cookies at the side of the road, about 10 miles from the bridge. Apparently, my guy hit the water first and my left cheekbone hit his knee at the same time. Thank goodness we had friends waiting to jump after us. They saw me float to the top, face down, and jumped in to pull me out. I was told later that I wasn't breathing and one of the guys did mouth to mouth before I came to. They took me home and left (idiots that they were). When my mom came in she went white, called him to come back and took me to the hospital at the air force base. I had a concussion, a fractured cheekbone, and a subdural hematoma (sp). I spent my entire spring break of my senior year in high school in the hospital for observation. (I'm surprised they didn't put me in the phsyc. ward after that stunt.) The MPs wanted to arrest my boyfriend because they thought he had beaten me up! Needless to say, I don't like lakes much anymore.

Return to Top
#141310 - 12/18/03 08:58 PM Re: Stupid things you've done!
chuck Offline
chuck
northwest missouri
I went to work for a bank and then became a compliance officer.

Return to Top
#141311 - 12/18/03 09:00 PM Re: Stupid things you've done!
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

I went to work for a bank and then became a compliance officer.

LMAOROTF Maybe I can blame it on a head injury at an early age.

Return to Top
#141312 - 12/18/03 09:05 PM Re: Stupid things you've done!
Mr. Clean Offline
Platinum Poster
Mr. Clean
New England
Well I guess I can share too. In high school I attended a pre-spring break kegger where I proceeded to drink to much. The local police and school officials arrived at our 'secret' location after we had way to much time to be drinking, sending kids scattering to all four corners of the earth. I ran, following another very drunk child, into the woods only to end up on a very steep cliff. The other kid was smart enough to stop and step aside leaving me nowhere to go but down. I reached out for a tree as I began to fall, but came up with a broken tree limb because the tree had long since died.

I fell forty feet free fall and bounced numerous times before coming to a halt. Liquid courage allowed me and my good friend "Limb" to get up and take off walking down the causeway only to be stoped by passing motorists and a police officer who had driven by and witnessed my act. When the ambulance and medical professional arrived they had to trade me his thumb for my tree limb(I refused to let go of that stupid limb) so I could fit in the ambulance . I had to have the left side of my face reconstructed and I fractured my left wrist so bad they had to pin and screw it back together. I looked like frankenstien for all break and couldn't return to school for a very long time. And our kids wonder why we are sometimes over protective !!

Return to Top
#141313 - 12/18/03 09:11 PM Re: Stupid things you've done!
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Mr. C. Isn't that the truth? As I noted in a prior post about a certain Bishops ordination and a Stones concert, I can't imagine being the parent on the other side of the equation. Oh well, I have already decided that Z and I probably would have run with the same crowd, I think I can count you in also. Man, would we have ended up in T-R-0-U-B-L-E.

Return to Top
#141314 - 12/18/03 09:12 PM Re: Stupid things you've done!
Fork Ate Spoon Offline
Diamond Poster
Fork Ate Spoon
Between Here and There
I don't even know how to respond to that lmao, thats just crazy glad you came out okay though or else who would serve up all these drinks

Return to Top
#141315 - 12/18/03 09:20 PM Re: Stupid things you've done!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Posting as Anonymous, for obvious reasons....

I'm still young (23) so I still do rather idiotic things on occasion, but in recent memory, this is probably the dumbest thing I have done.

When I was studying abroad in Ireland, I took a weekend jaunt with some friends of mine (all women, which made life difficult for me...) to a small town on the West Coast called Doolin. It's a small fishing village that is right on the shore of the Atlantic Ocean with only the small Aran Islands to break the water (perhaps you can see where this is going?).

We were in one of the town's three pubs (you know it's small town when it only has three pubs) drinking, laughing, having a great time. We started playing "never have I ever" (basically, you say something you haven't done, and anyone that has done it, drinks). One of my friends claimed that she had never been skinny dipping before. Everyone started laughing, drank, and then someone had a bright idea: "why don't we do it tonight?". In our state of sobriety (or lack thereof) we decided that it would be a GREAT idea to do it that night (it was February mind you). So we all left the bar when it closed and marched towards the ocean.

First we had to negotiate the stone fences that demarcated the farm land. Since we were going downhill, it wasn't a problem as there were stone walls, so we just scampered up a wall, and then jumped down. I would say it took us about twenty minutes to cover 200 yards because we were all so drunk.

We finally got to the ocean and the water was RAGING. I clearly remember as I was disrobing that I thought: "one of us could easily get dragged out to Greenland and it would be all over", but we all went in anyway. The water was absolutely freezing. I'm surpised someone didn't go into shock immediately. So we splashed around for ten minutes and then got out, got dressed, and swore we would never tell anyone about this.

We realized we had a problem because we had to go up the tall stone walls which were easy to get down. On top of that, we did not notice the electrical fencing on the side of the wall we were now trying to get up and over. I had to help just about everyone over the fence, but I remember one of the women slipped as she got to the top and fell into the fence and got a little shocked. Yikes! Luckily for me, the walls were uneven stone, so I bouldered my way out (I moonlight as a professional outdoor guide on weekends).

I suppose it was a good time because I am smiling as I write this, but really, that was pretty stupid.

Return to Top
#141316 - 12/18/03 09:22 PM Re: Stupid things you've done!
Mr. Clean Offline
Platinum Poster
Mr. Clean
New England
Quote:

Man, would we have ended up in T-R-0-U-B-L-E.

You nailed that one!!!!

Return to Top
#141317 - 12/18/03 09:25 PM Re: Stupid things you've done!
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

Quote:

You nailed that one!!!!

Like Jello shots to a tree.

Return to Top
#141318 - 12/18/03 10:19 PM Re: Stupid things you've done!
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You nailed that one!!!!

Like Jello shots to a tree.

or should I say................................................................................................

LIMB (sorry, I just couldn't resist!)

Return to Top
#141319 - 12/18/03 11:06 PM Re: Stupid things you've done!
KK Offline
100 Club
KK
Southern California
Ok, here's my stupid thing.

A few years ago I was putting a yard decoration in the front flower bed. You know, one of those things that have stakes on them. Well our soil is clay and hard as rock. Instead of going to get a shovel, I just knew that if I put enough muscle into it, the darn thing would go in far enough. Well needless to say, it broke and I fell onto the broken stick. I ended up with a very sore and bruised left breast. Luckily the stick did not break off with a point. Jump ahead two years and I discover a lump in my left breast. After having the cyst drained, I asked if this could have resulted from the stupid event, and it was possible. Not only suffered at the time but had to go through the torment of possible outcomes of the lump.

Return to Top
#141320 - 12/18/03 11:50 PM Re: Stupid things you've done!
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
Hmmmmm, let me see, just a few off of the top of my head....

1. Believed my "friend" who told me Ben de jo' (sp??) is Spanish for "silly". So, in conversation with the young daughter of the new Minister for the new "Le Baptist" Church we started while she was on the shoulders of our Youth Minister who was playing with her I said - "He's Ben de jo'" She started crying ....I almost did too when I found out what it really meant!

2. I bought a wall mount for our TV in the bedroom and wanted to surprise my husband and put it up myself. This was many years ago, when I thought the only meaning for "stud" was a good looking man! So, imagine my dismay when I carefully climbed the ladder and gently placed the TV on the wall mount..... But, I did at least surprise my husband! He didn't know he would be spending his evening fixing the holes that tore out of the wall...or that we would be buying a new TV!

3. When my first child was born (bless his heart), I was trying sooo hard to be a good mother. After several days of "tummy trouble", I phoned the pediatrician with concern. He recommended I go to the store and get one of those baby laxatives So off I go, such the good mother, when I get back I had a little difficulty "using" the product. I gave up and called my mother-in-law for help. When she got there she didn't know whether to laugh - or cry - I hadn't realized there was a cap over the very small, lubricated "tubbie" deal. Situation was easily "rectified" I'm just glad babies don't remember such things!

Return to Top
#141321 - 12/18/03 11:59 PM Re: Stupid things you've done!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's one.....I broke my nose while cooking a romantic dinner. I pulled a stack of pyrex bowls off of the top shelf and one of the lids fell right on the bridge of my nose. (kinda makes my eyes water to think about it!)

Return to Top
#141322 - 12/19/03 12:19 AM Re: Stupid things you've done!
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
Quote:

"He's Ben de jo'" She started crying ....I almost did too when I found out what it really meant!

First of all, what does it mean? I can't find it in my handy Spanish and English Dictionary and second of all the laxative story is hilarious.

I have done numerous stupid things but the one that I still laugh over happened in high school. I thought I was being cool by sliding on the ice with my tennis shoes one night walking home from a friends house and hit some gravel and went down in a heartbeat...it took me about 30 minutes to walk the remaining block home as I had broken my ankle and the pain was terrible...so that is just the beginning...one day I went to the mall with a friend and was pounding the snow out of my crutches and thought I had them totally dry prior to walking onto the malls linoleum floor when before I could even think both crutches went out from under me and I was laying on the floor in a reverse snow angel with my crutches out to my side. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry from embarrassment.

Return to Top
#141323 - 12/19/03 04:31 AM Re: Stupid things you've done!
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Quote:

Quote:

"He's Ben de jo'" She started crying ....I almost did too when I found out what it really meant!

First of all, what does it mean? I can't find it in my handy Spanish and English Dictionary

I believe the correct spelling is 'pendejo.' It's basically the equivalent of calling someone an a**h****.

Return to Top
#141324 - 12/19/03 12:58 PM Re: Stupid things you've done!
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Just 2 weeks ago, I poked myself in my eye with my car key, I don't know what the heck I was thinking about. As I stood in my son's school parking lot, my eye tearing like crazy, my son looks up at me and says: Gee, Mom, that wasn't real smart...
Like I needed the little smart aleck to tell me... At least most of the red is gone...

Return to Top
#141325 - 12/19/03 03:47 PM Re: Stupid things you've done!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have, hands down (no pun intended), the most humiliating moment. I walked past a friend talking to someone else at work and she was using big arm/hand motions to tell the story. As I passed behind her, I said "You'd make a good deaf person talking with your hands like that". Two steps past her I realized, her daughter is deaf! I apologized to the point of tears for being so crude and insensative. How could those words have come from my mouth? Still upset, I went outside to have a cigarette and met another smoker, a fairly new employee. As I relayed the depth of my embarrassement, she explained that both her parents were deaf since birth. What are the chances? When will I learn to keep my big mouth shut?

Return to Top
#141326 - 12/19/03 04:03 PM Re: Stupid things you've done!
Anonymous
Unregistered

NJ - I feel your pain on that one. I think we all have made a comment like that we wish we could take back - all you can do is to have faith that you meant no harm by saying it. There is a big difference between saying something inappropriate and un-PC and saying something hurtful in a deliberately malicious way. You obviously did not mean it maliciously or you would not have felt the remorse you did. Nonetheless, that had to have sucked!

Return to Top
#141327 - 12/19/03 05:33 PM Re: Stupid things you've done!
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Quote:

Gee, Mom, that wasn't real smart...

Out of the mouths of babes

I learned a long time ago that when I do something really stupid in front of my sons, I only have 2 options 1) deny fault till my dying day or 2) cry and work the sympathy angle. Otherwise, our kids are sure to remind us about it forever and in front of everyone we know.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2