Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1413273 - 07/09/10 02:06 PM State Specific Language for Privacy Notices
complofcr Offline
100 Club
SE USA
I saw on a vendor website that they add required state specific language to the Privacy Notices. We were planning to print our notices in-house. Where do I find the specific language for our state (Mississippi)?
Thanks!

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#1413796 - 07/12/10 12:38 PM Re: State Specific Language for Privacy Notices complofcr
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Sometimes vendors sell forms the same way other companies sell deodorant: "Buy this or you will stink."

While it's possible that some states have privacy laws that require disclosures, there aren't a lot of them; i.e. the vendor is intentionally creating the idea that your state might require something when it probably does not. I encourage you to post your question in your state forum or just call the vendor, tell them you are thinking about buying their forms and ask for a citation to the applicable law or regulation for your state.

I don't mean to misrepresent the situation by saying that forms vendors may occasionally mislead bankers. Sometimes, they just lie.

Return to Top
#1413887 - 07/12/10 03:54 PM Re: State Specific Language for Privacy Notices complofcr
Krista312 Offline
New Poster
Connecticut requires specific information about maintaining privacy regarding SS#. We were notified by the bank council and the state of CT.

Return to Top
#1414018 - 07/12/10 07:40 PM Re: State Specific Language for Privacy Notices Krista312
complofcr Offline
100 Club
SE USA
Thanks! After not being able to find anything, I contacted our legal counsel & they are not aware of any specific verbage for our state. I sorta thought the vendor may be just trying to sell us some forms!!

Return to Top
#1414058 - 07/12/10 08:46 PM Re: State Specific Language for Privacy Notices complofcr
Ted Dreyer Offline
Diamond Poster
Ted Dreyer
complofr: There is a statute in Mississippi that makes it a misdemeanor to disclose the names of depositors except in certain circumstances. You can find it here: MS Code 81-5-55

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett