Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1411753 - 07/03/10 06:39 PM I'm an Aunt! (Update - baby is home!)
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Okay - so not technically the first time since I have nieces on my husband's side of the family and my sister has a two year old girl, but on Thursday my sister gave birth to her second child - a little boy.

It was a whirlwind of events because the baby was 5 weeks early. My sister's husband had just left the day before with their 2 year old for a family reunion in Virginia. A lot of his family had never seen the little girl, and this was also going to allow my sister some "down" time from her 2 year old (who wanted "up" a lot!) and start getting things ready for the baby.

Thank goodness my work had issued me a Blackberry and my sister had the number. My sister is deaf so she cannot just "call." And fortunately I checked my phone for e-mail and messages just before leaving for work as she had just text-ed "My water broke!" I don't live that far from her so I drove over to her house and got there as she was putting things in an overnight bag for the hospital.

As I drove her over, her contractions started and they were very close together. I was afraid she was going to deliver in the car! We made it to the hospital and got her in the Delivery room about 90 minutes before she gave birth to a 5 pound baby boy.

I was using her phone to text her husband (he is also deaf) to give him updates during delivery. My Mom got to the hospital about 30 minutes before the baby was born and I was able to get a couple of photos with her phone (my phone and my sister's phone do not have a camera) so I could send my sister's husband a photo of the newborn!

My sister was so-o-o not ready yet that they hadn't even decided on a name. The name is still being debated (her husband's family is weighing since he's in the middle of the family reunion), so I don't even know what to call the little guy.

He's in the neo-natal intensive care as a precaution since he was 5 weeks early, but so far everything looks good. Bummer is I am not allowed in the nursery to see him since I am not "immediate" family.

But I broke about 10 traffic laws to get her here!!!!

Also fortunately, my client was understanding when I had to postpone the meetings I had scheduled that day.
Last edited by Princess Romeo; 07/21/10 03:22 PM.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1411754 - 07/03/10 07:06 PM Re: I'm an Aunt! Princess Romeo
Phoenix Offline
Platinum Poster
Phoenix
southeast
Congratulations! :-)

Return to Top
#1411793 - 07/06/10 12:06 PM Re: I'm an Aunt! Phoenix
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Congratulations and what a wonderful story to tell this young man when he gets older.

Return to Top
#1411855 - 07/06/10 02:38 PM Re: I'm an Aunt! Skittles
Ready to Retire Offline
Diamond Poster
Living in the land of Oz
Congratulations. I'm glad everyone is doing well.

Return to Top
#1411863 - 07/06/10 02:51 PM Re: I'm an Aunt! Ready to Retire
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
You mean his name isn't already designated as Earl(y)?

Return to Top
#1411872 - 07/06/10 03:00 PM Re: I'm an Aunt! B_F
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
Congratulations! Such excitement - it will be a story that will last a generations in your family smile

BTW, my daughter was born 5+ weeks early, they also had her in NICU for observation for 48 hours and everything was perfectly fine. It sounds like your nephew is doing great! laugh

Let us know when you find out the name. wink

Opinions expressed in these threads are my own and not my employer's.

Return to Top
#1411888 - 07/06/10 03:26 PM Re: I'm an Aunt! Aggs
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
I was an uncle for the first time back in '68....

congrats Princess

Return to Top
#1411958 - 07/06/10 05:08 PM Re: I'm an Aunt! Pale Rider
NotPerfect Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
Congrats on the new little member of the family.

I get to be an Aunt again in the next few days - looking forward to seeing my first nephew.

Return to Top
#1412007 - 07/06/10 06:05 PM Re: I'm an Aunt! NotPerfect
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Thank you everyone. We have a name - Bryan Quinn Phillips! He is still in NICU for a couple more days. They put him under the blue light special for jaundice as his blood count was up just a bit. He should be going home in just a couple of days.

It's so weird for me because it seems like only yesterday that my mom was bringing my sister home from the hospital. My sister was kind of a "mid-life" surprise - she's 14 years younger than I am, so I was kind of like her "second" mom when she grew up. So I'm an aunt but I also kind of feel like a grandmother!

Return to Top
#1413745 - 07/10/10 04:13 AM Re: I'm an Aunt! Princess Romeo
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Well my sister is running into the medical profession's prejudice against deaf people. They won't let her take the baby home unless she can have a hearing adult in the house 24/7.

Because Bryan was premature, there is a statistical increase for SIDS, so he has to be hooked up to a monitor for heart rate and breathing. The problem is, the machine sounds an alarm and the doctor is afraid my sister and her husband won't be able to hear it. There is no monitoring machine that emits a strobe light for the alarm which is what they have for the doorbell and what they used for the regular baby room monitor for their first baby.

My sister is having a very emotionally difficult time with this because she feels she is being told that she's not a good enough mother to take her baby home.

Mind you, the baby has not had any health issues in the NICU and WOULD have been released already if my sister wasn't deaf. However, since both parents are deaf, the doctor is now saying the baby may have to stay in NICU for another 4 to 6 weeks! Basically, the doctor doesn't seem to trust that 2 deaf parents can be capable of caring for an infant - even though they already have a happy and healthy 2 year old! (Both the 2 year old and the baby have normal hearing.)

Any deaf advocates out there who can give any advice? Or know of a SIDS monitor that flashes an alarm?

Return to Top
#1413757 - 07/10/10 10:39 PM Re: I'm an Aunt! Princess Romeo
Deputy Dawn Offline
Gold Star
Deputy Dawn
Pennsylvania
National SIDS support: 800-221-SIDS

Angel care makes movement monitors for babies. You might try calling them to see if any of their products works with lights when the alarm goes off

Angelcare Monitors Inc.
Head office
3980 St-Ambroise street,
Montreal (Qc) Canada
H4C 2C7
Phone : +1 514 761-0511
Fax : +1 514 761-4618

Customer Service Canada & USA: 1-877-281-8827

I hope your sister can find something that works for her. It's horrible that the doctor isn't trying to help them research this.

Return to Top
#1413760 - 07/11/10 04:29 AM Re: I'm an Aunt! Deputy Dawn
Truffle Royale Online

10K Club
And tell her to call an attorney who specializes in children's issues. I understand the doctor is looking out for the baby but I don't think he has any right to be holding the baby hostage. Maybe the threat of taking it before a judge will shake the baby loose from his clutches.

How old is their first child? Even a toddler could easily learn to tell mommy if the machine went off.

Lastly, if Angelcare can't help you with the monitor, call an electrician and explain the delimma. I'd be willing to bet they could wire something up that would flash all over the house in nothing flat.

Sorry. I'm a 'git 'er done!' kind of girl. When faced with a problem of this sort, I grab my phone and fire up my computer and don't let up until I have the situation resolved. Help is out there for your sister and her son. You just have to find it.

Return to Top
#1413766 - 07/11/10 04:13 PM Re: I'm an Aunt! Truffle Royale
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Thanks! A different doctor was on duty yesterday and they are going to see what they can work out. Fingers crossed and Bryan can come home soon!

Their daughter is 2 years old and has not yet seen her baby brother!

Return to Top
#1413767 - 07/11/10 05:11 PM Re: I'm an Aunt! Princess Romeo
Truffle Royale Online

10K Club
Time for Auntie to go fetch the daughter and take her to meet her brother in the hospital, even if it's through a window. Hospitals allow sibling visits these days.

Keep us posted. I'm praying for all of you.

Return to Top
#1413771 - 07/11/10 07:48 PM Re: I'm an Aunt! Truffle Royale
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Thanks - my sister knows I am available if she needs me, so I am waiting to hear from her on what's next.

Thankfully the baby is doing well.

Return to Top
#1413816 - 07/12/10 01:48 PM Re: I'm an Aunt! Princess Romeo
Phoenix Offline
Platinum Poster
Phoenix
southeast
Another suggestion from my audiologist better half: "Check the Alexander Graham Institute for the Deaf. Ignorant doctors! This has PR legs written all over it!"

Return to Top
#1413859 - 07/12/10 03:07 PM Re: I'm an Aunt! Phoenix
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Sounds like little Bryan is doing well!! That, of course, is the most important thing. My little man was born 7 weeks early and was in the NICU for 3 1/2 weeks, so I understand the anticipation to get the heck out of there! Also, our bill for this time (tests included) was about $120k.....thank you, insurance!!

Things will work out. Pass on a hearty congratulations to your sister and brother-in-law from the father of a fellow-preemie!

Return to Top
#1413861 - 07/12/10 03:08 PM Re: I'm an Aunt! Phoenix
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
I'd suggest contacting this organization for advice and assistance. I'm outraged that the doctor is so insensitive!

National Association of the Deaf
8630 Fenton Street, Suite 820
Silver Spring, MD 20910-3819
TTY: 301.587.1789
Voice: 301.587.1788
Fax: 301.587.1791
http://www.nad.org

And congratulations on your new nephew, Bryan! laugh Babies are a miracle and a gift. I just became an aunt again a week ago, too! Nothing in the world like it. Enjoy!
Last edited by BurntSienna; 07/12/10 03:09 PM.

Return to Top
#1413879 - 07/12/10 03:26 PM Re: I'm an Aunt! Deputy Dawn
MN Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Originally Posted By: working girl
National SIDS support: 800-221-SIDS

Angel care makes movement monitors for babies. You might try calling them to see if any of their products works with lights when the alarm goes off

Angelcare Monitors Inc.
Head office
3980 St-Ambroise street,
Montreal (Qc) Canada
H4C 2C7
Phone : +1 514 761-0511
Fax : +1 514 761-4618

Customer Service Canada & USA: 1-877-281-8827

I hope your sister can find something that works for her. It's horrible that the doctor isn't trying to help them research this.

I have one of these at home and love it. I don't know if they make any that have flashing lights, but the handset DOES vibrate when the alarm goes off, so maybe there is a way they cuold set it up to feel the vibration?

Return to Top
#1413926 - 07/12/10 05:03 PM Re: I'm an Aunt! MN Banker
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Thank you everyone - I am passing these suggestions along to my sister. I let you know any updates!

Return to Top
#1414411 - 07/13/10 06:10 PM Re: I'm an Aunt! Princess Romeo
East Texas Offline
Diamond Poster
East Texas
Congratulations on the new baby! I am thrilled that he is healthy and that your sister is as well.

Return to Top
#1414762 - 07/14/10 03:12 PM Re: I'm an Aunt! East Texas
Phoenix Offline
Platinum Poster
Phoenix
southeast

Return to Top
#1415171 - 07/15/10 04:14 AM Re: I'm an Aunt! Phoenix
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Update - my sister's strobe light monitor lights up when the Apnea alarm sounds, so now she will spend a night in the hospital while they test to see if she wakes up from the strobe.

If all goes well, Bryan could go home this week!

Return to Top
#1417890 - 07/21/10 03:23 PM Re: I'm an Aunt! Princess Romeo
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Just wanted to let everyone know that Bryan is now home! He is doing well and now my sister has her hands full with a 2 year old and a newborn!

Return to Top
#1417967 - 07/21/10 04:22 PM Re: I'm an Aunt! Princess Romeo
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
::LIKE:: button! laugh

Opinions expressed in these threads are my own and not my employer's.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2