Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#141396 - 12/18/03 09:29 PM Question regarding resume submission
Anonymous
Unregistered

Would those of you responsible for hiring in banks be willing to supply your professional opinions on what you look for when an applicant submits a resume?

Currently I am an officer of the bank (getting ready to seek employment elsewhere) and I would appreciate your thoughts on what catches your eyes when applicants mail you resumes. Or if the applicant mails the resume to an executive officer of the bank, does it actually end back up on your desk?

It has been a while since I have been through this process and would like to know the "ins" of applying for a similiar management position with another bank.

Return to Top
Human Resources
#141397 - 12/18/03 09:53 PM Re: Question regarding resume submission
Bob McComas Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob McComas
Dallas, Texas
As someone who is in the executive recruiting field for banks, as well as HR compliance, prior to being the HR head for too many years, I offer the following advice:

Your resume should be focused. This goes for both the Summary Statement (25 words or less), and your experience. List responsibilities and accomplishments within those responsibilities rather than duties. Resumes last approximately 3-5 seconds in front of the screener if sent unsolicited, and 10-15 seconds in sent in response to a solicitation. Therefore, you need to be concise and get the readers attention. If the resume is sent to someone who is expecting it, it will be read and re-read several times within a few minutes. Keep the resume to 2 pages and SPELL CHECK it. Bad grammer and misspelled words are the fastest way to get rejected.

Write your resume, put it down for 24-48 hours then go back to it and re-read it several times before you send it to make sure there are no glitches in it.

Always send a cover letter expanding the Summary Statement on your resume. Be clear on your what you are seeking. The cover page should be about half-page in length. More than that will lose the readers attention.

Never ask for an interview. Always ask for a meeting to discuss how your experience is best suited to their interests, it's less confrontational. Then follow-up at the end of 3-5 days to determine (a) interest level in you and (b) a possible time to meet with them.

Good luck.

Return to Top
#141398 - 12/18/03 10:18 PM Re: Question regarding resume submission
NotALawyer Offline
Gold Star
NotALawyer
Quote:

List responsibilities and accomplishments within those responsibilities rather than duties.

I would only add to Bob's response by emphasizing the above quote. Specify what was accomplished and quantify the impact to production and/or the bottom line. Improved turnaround time by 75%, improved sales by 35%, reduced bad debt by 20%, opened the Western Region increasing revenue by 11,000%. A comment was made in another thread that "bankers" don't have what it takes to make it in the "real world". While I don't agree with the original comment, a good take-away is that a resume and cover letter should show the reader that you have what it takes to make it at their organization.

And, of course, I defer to Bob (and Andy).

Return to Top
#141399 - 12/18/03 10:43 PM Re: Question regarding resume submission
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
I thank you for your comments. As writing resumes is not my forte', I am getting frustrated because I find that I keep putting my job description as the responsibilities - which of course I keep reading not to do. They seem so intermingled. Unfortunately my position is not measured in percentages and quotas met, it makes it difficult to include "measurable" marks on the resume.

Oh the joys of employment!

Return to Top
#141400 - 12/19/03 04:13 PM Re: Question regarding resume submission
Bob McComas Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob McComas
Dallas, Texas
Quote:

A comment was made in another thread that "bankers" don't have what it takes to make it in the "real world". While I don't agree with the original comment, a good take-away is that a resume and cover letter should show the reader that you have what it takes to make it at their organization.

I agree with Robert. Bankers DO have what it takes to make it in the "real world". Over the years I have know many bankers who have made a very successful career change.

The key is what Robert said. It's what you bring to the table that counts, not where you've been.

The only limiting factor is the candidates belief in themselves. Sounds trite, but it's true. Believe yourself first to get others to believe in you and you will succeed.

I have seen candidates with less experience succeed over candidates with more experience, simply because they truely believe in what can bring to the table.

Return to Top
#141401 - 12/19/03 05:40 PM Re: Question regarding resume submission
Wore Out Offline
Platinum Poster
Wore Out
Kentucky
Since you had mentioned that writing a resume was not your forte, you may consider seeking a professional resume writer. They are very helpful at organizing what you want to say and what you need to say. Their are a lot of companies out there that offer the service and some will even arrange interviews for you, for a fee of course! The charges I've seen can range from $50 on up depending on what you want. Some of the companies will provide you with a certain number of resumes on quality paper. Best wishes!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry