Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1414484 - 07/13/10 08:08 PM Calculate % of ineligible activity for exemption
gcg Offline
100 Club
When calculating the percent of ineligible activity for a business that sells lottery tickets, do I use the total money collected for the lottery tickets or do I use the part that is the business's commission as the gross revenue?

Likewise, if the business sells money orders, do I use the total amount collected for the money orders or do I use just the fee for the money order?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1414523 - 07/13/10 08:41 PM Re: Calculate % of ineligible activity for exemption gcg
nemsi Offline
Gold Star
I use the amount of revenue they earn from the activity.

Return to Top
#1414526 - 07/13/10 08:45 PM Re: Calculate % of ineligible activity for exemption nemsi
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
The term "gross revenue" in the CTR exemption regulations is intended to encompass the amount of money that a business actually EARNS from a particular activity, rather than the SALES VOLUME of such activity conducted by the business.

Use the part that is the business' commission as gross revenue.

Return to Top
#1414799 - 07/14/10 03:42 PM Re: Calculate % of ineligible activity for exemption Doug Hendrickson
gcg Offline
100 Club
Thanks for your help. I need just one more thing. I may need to prove to an examiner why I calculated it this way. Can you direct me to where this is in the law?

Thanks, again, for your help.

Return to Top
#1414824 - 07/14/10 03:57 PM Re: Calculate % of ineligible activity for exemption gcg
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson

Return to Top
#1415000 - 07/14/10 07:03 PM Re: Calculate % of ineligible activity for exemption Doug Hendrickson
Basket case Offline
New Poster
NY
Does the revenue amount from ineligible activities need to be verified with the business each year? We have several convenience stores that sell lottery tickets and the commission makes up less than 1% of their gross revenue. Would we need to verify the lottery revenue each year when we review their exemption? They have a long way to go before they would make 50% of their revenue. Sometimes it isnt easy to get this type of information from the business.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z