Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#14156 - 03/27/02 03:08 PM Branch Open on Saturday - No Officers
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have two branches open on saturday. We are looking at not having officers on sight. How do any of you handle this, cash limits, non-customer items etc. Please Help!

Return to Top
General Discussion
#14157 - 03/27/02 03:23 PM Re: Branch Open on Saturday - No Officers
NancyF Offline
100 Club
NancyF
PA
We also have 2 branches that are open on Saturdays. There is normally no officer at either site. Items such as you mentioned are handled routinely (during the regular work week and on Saturdays) by the branch manager, or in his absence the branch administrator, one of whom must be working.

Return to Top
#14158 - 03/27/02 03:43 PM Re: Branch Open on Saturday - No Officers
Anonymous
Unregistered

We are looking at only haveing tellers on sight, no officers, managers or supervisors....they will not be able to get into the vault at all.

Return to Top
#14159 - 03/27/02 03:58 PM Re: Branch Open on Saturday - No Officers
MARTY L Offline
New Poster
who will be able to approve transactions normally requiring supervisory/official approval?

Return to Top
#14160 - 03/27/02 04:51 PM Re: Branch Open on Saturday - No Officers
Anonymous
Unregistered

That is just the problem, Tellers will have to make these decisions, Only our drive up will be open so that helps. I just don't know how we will handle non customer items if cash is getting low. Tellers will not be able to get into the cash vault.

Return to Top
#14161 - 03/27/02 05:43 PM Re: Branch Open on Saturday - No Officers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Our Drive-up tellers at out Main Bank cannot get into our vault on Saturdays either. Our tellers know how much cash they will need for various times of the month; yours should too. You should be able to review your past cash records by branch and see the average amount of cash needed, then give them that approximate amount plus some extra for contingencies; each branch may not need the same amount of teller cash.

You can also schedule a mix of more experienced tellers with less experienced tellers. You will have to authorize one of the more experienced tellers to Ok large withdrawals, etc. on Saturdays.

Return to Top
#14162 - 03/27/02 07:49 PM Re: Branch Open on Saturday - No Officers
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have seven branches, six are open on Sunday. Any given Saturday we have 2 officers working - generally one at our main office and one at our busiest Saturday branch. Using this option we at least have an officer available by phone if something should happen or if an approval is needed. We also have designated Saturday "supervisors" in each location - in general these are either customer service reps or vault tellers who are authorized to approve checks, get into the vault, etc. They are given a little bit of extra training. As a security officer, I would feel very uncomfortable having my branches open with no officer available at all to assist with problems. You leave yourself open to a lot of liability.

Opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily that of my employer.

Return to Top
#14163 - 03/28/02 04:06 PM Re: Branch Open on Saturday - No Officers
rexinaudit Offline
Gold Star
rexinaudit
New England
How do you secure your cash supply from Friday to Saturday, and again until Monday?

Do you assign all cash to single control or is some under dual control?

Do you open the night depository under dual control on Saturday?

Return to Top
#14164 - 03/28/02 05:34 PM Re: Branch Open on Saturday - No Officers
Anonymous
Unregistered

We can get into our Main Bank vault just not into the cash vault inside our MB vault, so our teller cash is secured in our Main vault teller lockers. Night deposit is opened under dual control on Saturday just like every other day. We do not require an officer presence for night deposit opening and processing - just two tellers. Each teller that is working Saturday requests extra cash at closing on Friday to cover Saturday. So say they normally have $5K as their maximum, on Saturday they would have up to twice that amount depending on the time of the month, when a holiday falls, etc. They also get extra wrapped coin for our business depositors; again your tellers should know what they need. Our Main Bank is really close to two of our branches so if necessary we could get additional cash from their vault; to my knowledge we have only had to do that once.

Sounds like from a lot of these posts that our tellers have a lot more autonomy that at some of the other banks. I am the officer in charge whenever I work a Saturday but I am rarely called on to perform anything in my capacity as officer except do the security checks when entering and leaving and the occasional large $ withdrawal.

Return to Top
#14165 - 03/28/02 09:26 PM Re: Branch Open on Saturday - No Officers
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
cfinch: Wouldn't having no one but tellers on a saturday present a huge security issue? You should always have at least one manager on every time the Bank is open.

Return to Top
#14166 - 03/29/02 01:46 AM Re: Branch Open on Saturday - No Officers
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Personally, I agree with Pam. Not only would I not want non-supervisors accessing cash without a manager present, I wouldn't want non-supervisors to even be able to get into the building on their own. If you're only opening select branches on weekends, you may be able to recruit some managers and officers to work these days on a rotating basis (one Saturday per month if you get enough buy-in.) If that means you have to give them overtime or comp time, so be it. From a risk management perspective, it's well worth it. Besides, I'm hard pressed to believe that the tellers-only practice would be acceptable to examiners or your bonding company.

Return to Top
#14167 - 04/04/02 11:28 PM Re: Branch Open on Saturday - No Officers
Tina A Sweet Offline
Diamond Poster
Tina A Sweet
Marysville, Ca.
I agree with JacFSB completely. You are looking at problems with examiners and your bonding company and you are setting yourself up for default or losses. I once worked for a large institution that was open on Saturdays and as an officer of the bank I was required to work at a branch that was open on Saturdays at least once a month. And you know, it was really no big deal. These directions came from our Regional Office. You should approach your Executive Management with this scenario. You can replace Saturdays with comp time in officer positions. It works well because sometimes time is more precious than money.

Return to Top
#14168 - 04/05/02 02:37 PM Re: Branch Open on Saturday - No Officers
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have drive-in service only at all branches with a weekend duty officer assigned to our busiest branch and is on call for the weekend. The duty officer carries his notary stamp for emergency situations.

Return to Top
#14169 - 04/05/02 03:53 PM Re: Branch Open on Saturday - No Officers
JMB Offline
JMB
Michigan
Having "drive thru only" open on Sat without any officers is very common with big banks.

I've seen it where there is a "weekend teller vault" somewhere in the office. The senior teller had one comb and the junior teller the other comb or a key. Their individual cash boxes are stored there, as is a sealed bag of cash in case of a need sometime during the day. (Keep it under dual control - i.e. lock the vault)

Limit the dollar amount of payouts through the drive thru - you'd want a big cash withdrawal on film, right?

Services are limited - and then only available to customers. You can't buy a cashiers check, open or close an account. Drive thrus are for fast transactions for your customers - they decide to buy something from someone and need cash, need to make a deposit or need to make their loan payment.

Return to Top
#14170 - 12/16/02 10:15 PM Re: Branch Open on Saturday - No Officers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree, as I have found that most bank tellers are of a young age and are not that experience. Officers are needed for banks that are opened on the weekends. We rotate officers, CSRs and tellers to where they only work about every third Saturday.

Return to Top
#14171 - 12/16/02 10:21 PM Re: Branch Open on Saturday - No Officers
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
Sound like an ATM would work just as well. The thought behind being open on Saturdays is to provide customer service. If you can't provide anymore service than an ATM why be open at all.

To provide service you need a bank officer present.

Return to Top
#14172 - 12/16/02 10:59 PM Re: Branch Open on Saturday - No Officers
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
I think it is partially a market driven decision. Also, one ATM cannot handle the volume of traffic that can occur on Saturdays, it cannot cash checks, and it doesn't give back suckers or dog bones!

Return to Top
#14173 - 12/16/02 11:16 PM Re: Branch Open on Saturday - No Officers
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
From a management perspective, if the only difference is cashing checks and giving out doggie bones, it might be an informative exercise to see what it cost a year to do this, vs putting in a couple of ATM's.

I realize thats very simplistic and without any understanding of competition and the market.

I do believe that customer service and costs aside, not having an officer on the premises, opens up the potential for fraud and loss.

Depending on what you are asking these employees to do, there is also a potential of being accused of asking non exempt employees to perform management functions without classifying or paying them as such. Maybe not in your state, but in California such things are possible.

Return to Top