Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#1415336 - 07/15/10 03:29 PM Officer's Personal Blog
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
If an officer of the bank has a personal blog and from time to time mentions bank products, rates, etc., is that considered advertising subject to all the regs? We have a policy that speaks to the potential reputation risks to the bank, but what about compliance ramifications?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#1415810 - 07/16/10 11:39 AM Re: Officer's Personal Blog Deena
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is the bank responsible for the content of the blog because the officer "represents" the bank because of his position?

Return to Top
#1415811 - 07/16/10 12:08 PM Re: Officer's Personal Blog Deena
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
If there are trigger terms those can be ads for the bank. I have known examiners to find these on the internet and bring them to the attention of banks - one recent one discussed mortgage products.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1415890 - 07/16/10 02:19 PM Re: Officer's Personal Blog Kathleen O. Blanchard
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
Thanks, Kathleen - that's what I was afraid of. I have a Google alert set up to tell me if the bank's name is used and I got one because one of the officer's was discussing the bank's mortgage products in his blog. I wasn't sure whether it's advertising or not and whether I need to warn him about it.

I appreciate your help.

Return to Top
#1415906 - 07/16/10 02:34 PM Re: Officer's Personal Blog Deena
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You would just have to show him the definitions - for example - Regulation Z:

Advertisement means a commercial message in any medium that promotes, directly or indirectly, a credit transaction.

Coverage . Only commercial messages that promote consumer credit transactions requiring disclosures are advertisements. Messages inviting, offering, or otherwise announcing generally to prospective customers the availability of credit transactions, whether in visual, oral, or print media, are covered by Regulation Z (12 CFR part 226).

i. Examples include:

C. Electronic advertisements, such as on the Internet.

Return to Top
#1415968 - 07/16/10 03:33 PM Re: Officer's Personal Blog rlcarey
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
So, in your opinion, the officer's personal blog is advertising for the bank because of his officer position? I just want to make sure I understand. The officer himself is obviously not a creditor to whom the reg would apply, but his blog is advertising on behalf of the bank because he's an officer? If a teller had a personal blog, would it also be advertising for the bank?

Return to Top
#1415976 - 07/16/10 03:41 PM Re: Officer's Personal Blog Deena
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Your employees are agents for your institution. To the public, your employee is the bank. IMO, any direct and specific discussion of your bank products by an employee is a form of advertisement.

If the officer's blog was general in nature (ie banks make loans, they are diverse in pricing, etc) that wouldn't constitute advertising. BUT if the officer's blog speaks specifically about your bank products (ie at ABC Bank we have HELOCs at prime, or at the bank where I work 30 yr mortgages are priced at 4.5%, etc), in my opinion, that is advertising. Then you would need to look at what he said to find triggering terms.

Return to Top
#1416007 - 07/16/10 04:13 PM Re: Officer's Personal Blog Dani York, CRCM
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
I would suggest that you develop a policy around use of social media, then train and hold accountable to that policy. Your policy may want to prohibit employees from discussing bank products and services in personal or other non-bank related social media. Or you may want to allow that, but if so, you should probably have some procedures recognizing that this might rise to the level of "advertising" and requiring some type of approval process for compliance regarding content. The direction is up to you, but you definitely need to adopt a stance, then develop appropriate procedures and controls.

Return to Top
#1416018 - 07/16/10 04:29 PM Re: Officer's Personal Blog RVFlyboy
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
Many thanks to all who responded. As I said, we do have a policy. Right now that policy allows personal blogs but requires employees to state that the views expressed in the blog are their personal views and not those of the bank. It also prohibits the disclosure of confidential information and/or abusive statements in the blog. At this point, the policy doesn't address the possibility that the blog is advertising and that regs apply. That's why I'm trying to determine whether I need to recommend changes.

Return to Top
#1416134 - 07/16/10 06:34 PM Re: Officer's Personal Blog Deena
Milby Offline
Platinum Poster
Tejas
Is a blog a "Commercial Advertisement." If it is not paid by the bank and the user clearly states that it is not bank sponsored (personal views), then I don't see how that is a commercial advertisement.

Return to Top
#1416180 - 07/16/10 07:16 PM Re: Officer's Personal Blog Milby
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Originally Posted By: Milby
Is a blog a "Commercial Advertisement."

I think blogs can be classified as commercial advertisements. Blogs and social media are a relatively new phenomenon in relation to banking regulations. Plus the fact that the officer appears to be using the blog to solicit business. It is a form of marketing and can definitely fall into the broad category of "on the Internet".

The personal views disclaimer would only work if the officer is speaking generally about banking. If he specifically describes or offers a bank product, then IMHO he is soliciting/advertising.

Return to Top
#1416181 - 07/16/10 07:17 PM Re: Officer's Personal Blog Dani York, CRCM
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
I agree, Dani.

Return to Top
#1416204 - 07/16/10 07:40 PM Re: Officer's Personal Blog BrendaC
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
I agree that these personal web spaces can become advertisements. When they do, these additional promotional channels create additional work for the bank employees responsible for advertising compliance. The simplest way to sidestep the issue is to maintain a policy regarding use of the bank's name in all electronic communications and postings. If you want your sales force to use e-promotions, the policy would authorize that activity and state how this new advertising channel is to be controlled (including compliance.) For all other employees, the policy would prohibit use of the bank's name, OR, specifics about products and pricing.

Return to Top
#1416305 - 07/16/10 09:02 PM Re: Officer's Personal Blog Richard Insley
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
Once again, I thank all of you who responded. This discussion has been very helpful - at least to me and probably to many others. I know I'll be suggesting changes to our policy based on this thread.

Return to Top
#1416622 - 07/19/10 03:49 PM Re: Officer's Personal Blog Deena
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Deena,
Could you tell me how to set up the Google alert?
I have a google test for links to the bank, but haven't taken it the extra step that you have.

Thanks.

Return to Top
#1416707 - 07/19/10 04:52 PM Re: Officer's Personal Blog QCL
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Google > Settings > Account Settings > Alerts

Return to Top
#1416859 - 07/19/10 06:28 PM Re: Officer's Personal Blog califgirl
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Thanks.

Return to Top
#1416887 - 07/19/10 06:54 PM Re: Officer's Personal Blog QCL
Still Smiling Offline
Platinum Poster
Do you have to establish an account in order to set these alerts?

Return to Top
#1416940 - 07/19/10 07:37 PM Re: Officer's Personal Blog Still Smiling
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Yes.
I already have a personal google account; however I set up a new account and used my bank email, since that is where I want the alerts to be sent.

Return to Top
#1416944 - 07/19/10 07:39 PM Re: Officer's Personal Blog QCL
Still Smiling Offline
Platinum Poster
Good information-thanks so much.

Return to Top
#1419057 - 07/23/10 12:02 AM Re: Officer's Personal Blog Still Smiling
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
The bank would be drug into this kind of mess if a consumer felt harmed. So there is little alternative than to manage this. A policy preventing it may be some of your best insulation, but periodic reminders and checks are certainly worthwhile.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top