Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1418299 - 07/21/10 09:37 PM Credit Report - Guarantors
Compliance Audit Offline
100 Club
Can we pull a credit report for a guarantor on a commercial without written consent? We do not always get the bank financial statement form from our cusomers - sometimes the statements are forwarded by accountants and do not have the consent statement. I am thinking we could classify their guarantee of a business loan as a legitimate business purpose but just want to clarify. Thanks!

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1418333 - 07/21/10 10:51 PM Re: Credit Report - Guarantors Compliance Audit
West Coast Comp Offline
Gold Star
West Coast Comp
Lost in the rain.
I think you have a legitimate business purpose. But I would institute procedures to get written consent anyway.

Return to Top
#1418440 - 07/22/10 01:38 PM Re: Credit Report - Guarantors West Coast Comp
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
The FTC clarified that if the individual is going to be personally liabile on the credit transaction, you have a permissible purposes to pull a report. No written consent is necessary. On the other hand, if you want to pull credit on officers or owners of a company, but they are not going to be personally liable, written permission would be required.

Return to Top
#1466792 - 11/10/10 09:06 PM Re: Credit Report - Guarantors rlcarey
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Somewhere I read that if there is a guarantor on a consumer loan who is liable on the obligation (indirectly - through the guarantee) the credit performance is reported under the primary borrowers AND the guarantor. However, I can't find that post and I can't find that in the reg. Randy's post is not directly on point, but what do you think?

Return to Top
#1466859 - 11/10/10 10:08 PM Re: Credit Report - Guarantors Tesla
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Pulling credit reports and reporting credit history are two different things. If your CRA has provisions to report on consumer guarantors - you are free to report them.

Return to Top
#1466958 - 11/11/10 02:11 PM Re: Credit Report - Guarantors rlcarey
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Thanks Randy!

Return to Top
#1496700 - 01/18/11 10:02 PM Re: Credit Report - Guarantors Tesla
Still Complyin Offline
100 Club
Texas USA
related to this thread:
over 30 day dq payment history on consumer loan with a guarantor, guarantor gets a "payment due notice" same as the borrower. Guarantor wants dq reporting removed from guarantor credit bureau. Lender says we cannot report to CRA because a payment notice is not a demand for payment from the guarantor, we have been reporting on both, which is correct?

Return to Top
#1496726 - 01/18/11 10:39 PM Re: Credit Report - Guarantors Still Complyin
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Depending on the wording of you guaranty, there is usually no demand required for the guarantor to be liable on the debt or for the payment. That is why they sign the notice to co-signer that says:

"The bank can collect this debt from you without first trying to collect from the borrower. The bank can use the same collection methods against you that can be used against the borrower, such as suing you, garnishing your wages, etc. If this debt is ever in default, that fact may become a part of your credit record."

Return to Top
#1496740 - 01/18/11 11:14 PM Re: Credit Report - Guarantors rlcarey
Still Complyin Offline
100 Club
Texas USA
thank you smile

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z