BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1419539 - 07/23/10 07:41 PM Escrow - payment on property taxes
Scooter Offline
100 Club
Scooter
Michigan
Did WI recently have a new escrow provision go into effect that gives the customer the option of receiving a check for the payment of property taxes?

If so, where can I read up on the requirements?

Return to Top
#1419661 - 07/25/10 03:02 AM Re: Escrow - payment on property taxes Scooter
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Not recently at all. I'm not at work where my form is that says this so I just Googled:

Quote:
As a Wisconsin mortgagor with an escrow account, you have three options as to how you would like your property taxes
paid, according to 1987 Wisconsin Act 360.
In order to comply with this regulation and your wishes, it is imperative that you notify us of the option you would like to
exercise. Please check one of the following options listed below
Option 1: The mortgage company disburses twelve months of your property tax escrow via a check payable
to both yourself and the local tax collector, by December 18. You then use the check to pay the
taxes directly to the treasurer by December 31.

Option 2: The mortgage company pays your property taxes directly to your tax collector by December 31.
Option 3: The mortgage company pays your property taxes directly to your tax collector when due

Return to Top
#1419700 - 07/26/10 12:22 PM Re: Escrow - payment on property taxes Truffle Royale
Scooter Offline
100 Club
Scooter
Michigan
Thank you Truffle.

Return to Top
#2102032 - 10/06/16 01:18 PM Re: Escrow - payment on property taxes Scooter
#Just Jay Online
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Tagging onto this... has anyone in a recent exam been directed to further amend the third option to specify when those due dates are, per municipality where the security is? They state that it is a RESPA requirement, and I see and understand in RESPA where yes you would have to pay per the local schedule if the borrower opts for the third choice, but I am not seeing where it is a logical step to actually dictate those terms on this disclosure.

Return to Top
#2102048 - 10/06/16 02:12 PM Re: Escrow - payment on property taxes Scooter
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
We heard a rumble on this but it wasn't pushed too hard.
The form doesn't lend itself to adding specific dates and the dates can fluctuate.
I'm hoping that WBA will look into the issue and fight this battle for us if necessary.
Either that or give us a new form. crazy

Return to Top
#2157124 - 12/13/17 05:39 PM Re: Escrow - payment on property taxes Scooter
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Bringing this back up to ask if a nationally chartered bank has the ability to disregard WI Act 360 and arbitrarily decide when taxes will be paid. Specific example: Big Bank decides all WI taxes will be paid on in full on 12/20 of each year. Does preemption give them this right?

Return to Top
#2157144 - 12/13/17 06:40 PM Re: Escrow - payment on property taxes Scooter
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
personal experience (did not do any research), I was provided with the form asking when/how to pay taxes from escrow from the nationally chartered, large bank that holds my mortgage. Again I didn't do any research but if anyone would take advantage of a preemption, this bank would.

"Strip the Flesh, Salt the Wound" - Krieg

Return to Top
#2157155 - 12/13/17 07:27 PM Re: Escrow - payment on property taxes Scooter
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Me too, DoS. But this came up in a meeting so I'm wondering if it was out of someone's hat or did/could really happen.
Anyone know for sure?

Return to Top