BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1419791 - 07/26/10 03:25 PM Wite Out on legal original documents
Playin 88-Keys Offline
New Poster
Playin 88-Keys
Riding along the Coast
Below is a question that has been submitted to me by another bank. I'm not sure where to begin to look for their answer. Can anyone help?

Recently, we have been having documents sent to the home office that have been corrected with “wite out”. Do you know where I can find the wording that this is voiding the original document?

Any feedback is soley based on my experience and do not reflect that of my employer.

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#1420348 - 07/27/10 05:37 PM Re: Wite Out on legal original documents Playin 88-Keys
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
One of my partners thinks it should be against the law for banks to buy this stuff. Regardless, there is no such law.

Nor do I think you will find any state law that says its use voids a document. However, I can virtually guarantee that if your bank ever has to go to court and wants to use a contract that carries white out, interliniations, lines drawn from here to there, initials, and any other sort of streamside modifications the other guy's lawyer will ridicule your bank and its personnel; e.g. "How would anyone in this court know who made these changes, whether they were made before or after the card was signed, and whether they were made with the knowledge and consent of all of the other parties to the contract?"

Banks that pull this kind of stuff deserve what they get.

Return to Top
#1420585 - 07/27/10 09:24 PM Re: Wite Out on legal original documents Elwood P. Dowd
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
In my opinion, White Out voids a document. By that, I mean that if a document that I need for a case shows up with White Out, I return and ask for it to be re-done.

White Out is used to make an alteration, malicious or not. And an alteration is not a good thing.

Ditto Ken.

Return to Top
#1421042 - 07/28/10 07:05 PM Re: Wite Out on legal original documents Pup
Kitty Offline
100 Club
Kitty
I have tried to have wite out banned from the office. However, I have not been successful. I have managed to get my staff to never use it. They are too afraid of what will happen if I find it has been used on a document.

Return to Top
#1421826 - 07/29/10 08:54 PM Re: Wite Out on legal original documents Kitty
ItNeverEnds CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Looking for my sanity
I've gone as far as looking through every drawer and supply cabinet at a branch and taking all the white out. They order more, and it starts all over again. But it's kind of fun and rewarding in a sad way when I take it.

Return to Top
#1421837 - 07/29/10 09:03 PM Re: Wite Out on legal original documents ItNeverEnds CRCM
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
LOL

I have done the same thing. There is no reason for them to have it.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett