Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Thread Options
#1459778 - 10/26/10 08:30 PM Re: Final SAFE Act published today Sugarbaker
duplextx Offline
100 Club
duplextx
Dallas, TX
Originally Posted By: Sugarbaker
I know that we have to be able to provide a list of all of our MLOs and their identifiers, but I . . .

Are we required to provide a list of all MLOs upon request? What's the purpose?

I've worked in a very small bank in a very small town where everyone knew everyone and what they did, whether they admitted it or not. But what if I now work in a huge bank with countless MLOs in almost as many brick and mortar locations, not including the Internet? It would be a super fat and ever-evolving list.

I thought that it was supposed to mean, when an applicant walked through the door and asked me for my MLO ID#.

Return to Top
S.A.F.E. Act Forum
#1459793 - 10/26/10 08:44 PM Re: Final SAFE Act published today duplextx
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Nope, you must maintain a list of the MLOs employed by your institution. you may post the list in the lobby if you wish, but at a minimum you must have a list that you can produce upon request. The rationale is that I, as a consumer, can make an educated decision about what MLO I want to use if I don't like the one I have.

Example, my loan is assigned to John ID# 3. I look him up in the Registry, but don't like his profile...maybe I think he doesn't have enough experience. So I ask you for a list of your MLOs and look them all up in the Registry. 1--I can see if you have qualified personnel, and 2--I might just decide that I think Jane ID#7 is more qualified and ask to have my loan handled by her.

Now, will very many consumers actually use the Registry to make educated decisions about where they get a loan....NO! This is all just a way for Washington to say, "Hey, we did something. We thought it would help (to get us re-elected). Blah, blah, blah...."

Return to Top
#1459944 - 10/27/10 01:57 PM Re: Final SAFE Act published today Dani York, CRCM
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
This is confusing me...the latest information to come from the NMLS says ALL MLOs will have to authorize a credit report that will be reviewed by the state regulator.

So did they make a mistake in saying ALL (which includes financial institution-MLOs) or have state regulators been charged with reviewing ALL MLOs' credit reports?

I took it as the latter because the individual MLO can be employed by more than one company with more than one regulator- but what was your take?

Return to Top
#1459950 - 10/27/10 02:06 PM Re: Final SAFE Act published today Tesla
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Originally Posted By: SkiDoo
This is confusing me...the latest information to come from the NMLS says ALL MLOs will have to authorize a credit report that will be reviewed by the state regulator.

So did they make a mistake in saying ALL (which includes financial institution-MLOs) or have state regulators been charged with reviewing ALL MLOs' credit reports?

I took it as the latter because the individual MLO can be employed by more than one company with more than one regulator- but what was your take?

I believe that update is meant for state licensed MLOs. It is not intended for the banks, who are not yet "live" in the system.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1459976 - 10/27/10 02:32 PM Re: Final SAFE Act published today Dani York, CRCM
Cats Offline
100 Club
Cats
Florida
Originally Posted By: Dani York
This is all just a way for Washington to say, "Hey, we did something. We thought it would help (to get us re-elected). Blah, blah, blah...."

That's one of the two things this accomplished. The other thing? Listen carefully. That faint mooing sound you hear? That's coming from the Registry. Based on the proposed fee list (which does NOT include third party vendor costs) this thing is a giant cash cow for someone.

Return to Top
#1462655 - 11/02/10 06:51 PM Re: Final SAFE Act published today Cats
Valley Girl Offline
100 Club
I could use some clarification. The list of required employee information does not include eye color, hair color, height, weight or race but the MU4R does. Are those required pieces of information for MLOs?

Return to Top
#1462756 - 11/02/10 08:02 PM Re: Final SAFE Act published today Valley Girl
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Originally Posted By: Valley Girl
I could use some clarification. The list of required employee information does not include eye color, hair color, height, weight or race but the MU4R does. Are those required pieces of information for MLOs?

Those pieces of info are not required for the Registry's purposes, but for the FBI criminal background checks. The CBC's will be ordered through the Registry.

Return to Top
#1462790 - 11/02/10 08:38 PM Re: Final SAFE Act published today Dani York, CRCM
Valley Girl Offline
100 Club
Thanks!

Return to Top
#1464798 - 11/05/10 05:50 PM Re: Final SAFE Act published today Valley Girl
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Kinda a silly question, but.......in regards to keeping a list of MLOs that can be produced upon customer request: we have 4 branches.....should we list all MLOs on all 4 lists, or only MLOs located at that particular branch for that branch's list?

Return to Top
#1465059 - 11/05/10 09:28 PM Re: Final SAFE Act published today raitchjay
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
We have 3 branches and are keeping one master list at the main office in HR. If a customer requests one from someone at one of the other branches, the employee will call HR and have the list emailed to the employee who will print it for the customer.

Return to Top
#1465064 - 11/05/10 09:32 PM Re: Final SAFE Act published today Dani York, CRCM
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Thanks for the input Dani.

Return to Top
#1465282 - 11/08/10 03:45 PM Re: Final SAFE Act published today raitchjay
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
MLOs are required to provide their unique identifier 1) upon request; 2) before acting as an MLO; and 3) through the originator's initial written communication with a consumer.......are these to be exclusive of each other? I mean.....if an MLO meets a prospective borrower, provides them with their unique identifier.....i'm thinking they are good....they wouldn't have to provide it again later. (Not that your procedures in some cases might not overlap; you send an AAN and have it on there for example. Just checking if you are safe if it's provided once and once only in a particular case where the loan is consummated.) Maybe overthinking, but that thought just hit me.
Last edited by raitchjay; 11/08/10 03:47 PM.

Return to Top
#1488920 - 01/04/11 03:45 PM Re: Final SAFE Act published today raitchjay
Reads Regs Offline
Diamond Poster
The NMLS has created a "Getting Started" page that provides information that institutions can start to review in anticipation of the federal registry being available. The page indicates that the system should be available on or after 1/31/11. http://mortgage.nationwidelicensingsystem.org/fedreg/Pages/GettingStartedFedCo.aspx

Return to Top
#1488990 - 01/04/11 04:20 PM Re: Final SAFE Act published today Reads Regs
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Thanks for the heads up......anybody have a comment on my post above?

Return to Top
#1488995 - 01/04/11 04:22 PM Re: Final SAFE Act published today raitchjay
CarolinaComplian Offline
good ol south
Thank you for the link. Guess we can get prepared up until the point it says "Stop".

Return to Top
#1489003 - 01/04/11 04:26 PM Re: Final SAFE Act published today raitchjay
CarolinaComplian Offline
good ol south
Originally Posted By: raitchjay
MLOs are required to provide their unique identifier 1) upon request; 2) before acting as an MLO; and 3) through the originator's initial written communication with a consumer.......are these to be exclusive of each other? I mean.....if an MLO meets a prospective borrower, provides them with their unique identifier.....i'm thinking they are good....they wouldn't have to provide it again later. (Not that your procedures in some cases might not overlap; you send an AAN and have it on there for example. Just checking if you are safe if it's provided once and once only in a particular case where the loan is consummated.) Maybe overthinking, but that thought just hit me.

We are going to include it on their business cards, any marketing materials,emails from the lender, the application, and along with any signature by the lender. That way, we can be sure to comply with the regulation.

Return to Top
#1489116 - 01/04/11 05:33 PM Re: Final SAFE Act published today raitchjay
Sewanee, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
TN
I think you might be technically OK with providing it only once, but like others have mentioned, we plan to provide it on numerous documents. Details still being worked out.

Return to Top
#1489237 - 01/04/11 07:17 PM Re: Final SAFE Act published today Sewanee, CRCM
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Ok....i'm wading thru the information from the link that Reads Regs posted: the bank itself has to get registered first by filing the MU1R out right? Then, when they do, i assume they get the NMLS Unique ID from the Registry, which then individual MLOs will need to put on their own MU4R in that field, correct?

Return to Top
#1489485 - 01/04/11 09:49 PM Re: Final SAFE Act published today raitchjay
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Our system for home equity and home improvement loans is that a special department (backoffice) takes all applications by phone, passes each application to a Central Underwriting Department (also backoffice) and then if approved, the loan is closed at whatever branch location is closest (or chosen) by the customer. It doesn't seem like any of the three....application taker, underwriter or closer.....would be a mortgage loan originator because none meet the two prong test. Could this be right?

Return to Top
#1491681 - 01/07/11 07:00 PM Re: Final SAFE Act published today swiggles
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Does anyone have an opinion about my question?

Return to Top
#1491692 - 01/07/11 07:06 PM Re: Final SAFE Act published today swiggles
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
Just wondering...who would send out the early disclosures for these loans?

Return to Top
#1492198 - 01/09/11 11:43 PM Re: Final SAFE Act published today swiggles
Sheldon Hendrix Offline
Diamond Poster
Sheldon Hendrix
South
Originally Posted By: swiggles
Our system for home equity and home improvement loans is that a special department (backoffice) takes all applications by phone, passes each application to a Central Underwriting Department (also backoffice) and then if approved, the loan is closed at whatever branch location is closest (or chosen) by the customer. It doesn't seem like any of the three....application taker, underwriter or closer.....would be a mortgage loan originator because none meet the two prong test. Could this be right?

I think this shows just how well they defined MLO's in this ridiculous rule. Refer to Appendix A of the reg and see if you think any of these personnel meet the two prong test.

We're planning to register (unless clarifying guidance is issued) several employees who may not be covered as an abundance of caution.

It would be nice if the Agencies decided to come out with some more specific guidance on who is actually an MLO before the registry goes live.

Return to Top
#1492221 - 01/10/11 02:01 PM Re: Final SAFE Act published today Sheldon Hendrix
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Same here. We will be registering employees whom I do not regard as MLOs, but who might be considered such under the regulation.

I sent letters to two OTS attorneys asking for clarification on several specific points. I never received any response from either of them.

Return to Top
#1492266 - 01/10/11 02:34 PM Re: Final SAFE Act published today Sinatra Fan
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
What seems difficult on this is...who's number goes on the documents?

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1492306 - 01/10/11 03:20 PM Re: Final SAFE Act published today RR Joker
Sheldon Hendrix Offline
Diamond Poster
Sheldon Hendrix
South
Originally Posted By: RR joker
What seems difficult on this is...who's number goes on the documents?

Especially if you have multiple MLO's in a transaction - Example: Loan processor takes application and provides disclosures, but loan officer actually does most of the "negotiating" with the applicant.

Last edited by Compliance Rules; 01/10/11 03:20 PM.
Return to Top
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett