Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1422792 - 08/02/10 05:47 PM a new kid
bonette Offline
100 Club
georgia
Has anyone read that book Have a New Kid by Friday, by Kevin Leman. I have a 14 year old son and I'm just about at the point of pulling my hair or his out.
Someone please tell me it gets better and his hormones will even out soon.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1422799 - 08/02/10 05:50 PM Re: a new kid bonette
Erl of Baltimore Offline
Platinum Poster
Erl of Baltimore
Memorial Stadium
Originally Posted By: bonette
Has anyone read that book Have a New Kid by Friday, by Kevin Leman. I have a 14 year old son and I'm just about at the point of pulling my hair or his out.
Someone please tell me it gets better and his hormones will even out soon.
I have a 14 yr old daughter myself and I would love to tell you it will get better, and it will, about the time they're 23 or we're dead, whichever comes first...lol. Good luck.

Return to Top
#1422803 - 08/02/10 05:53 PM Re: a new kid Erl of Baltimore
bonette Offline
100 Club
georgia
I don't know if I will survive until he is 23, my other son just turned 10 and I'm guessing his mood swings are going to be worse than his brothers.

Return to Top
#1422804 - 08/02/10 05:55 PM Re: a new kid bonette
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
My son is 23 and I survived - mostly anyway.

Actually it does get better, although I was blessed and mine didn't have too many issues - except migraines.

Return to Top
#1422810 - 08/02/10 05:59 PM Re: a new kid Skittles
East Texas Offline
Diamond Poster
East Texas
I have the book and have applied many of the concepts. I wouldn't say that I ended up with a new kid, but part of that may be my fault. Things are much better and, although there are days he frustrates the living daylights out of me, I have to remember that many days I do the same to him. Best wishes! smile

Return to Top
#1422814 - 08/02/10 06:00 PM Re: a new kid Skittles
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
I have not read this book, but have read several other books by Dr Leman, and they have been wonderful and pretty much spot on.

I have also participated in some of his video studies at our church, which made reading his books better, because you can pick up his personality. Would love to meet him in person, I think he would be a great person to know.

He is a big proponent of the birth order in the way a child behaves.

Having a daughter who just turned 13 and thinks we are stupid, I may have to go out and get this book.

Return to Top
#1422819 - 08/02/10 06:05 PM Re: a new kid DD Regs
bonette Offline
100 Club
georgia
What hurts me the most about this stage in his life is that I tell him all the time that I love him and he never says anything in return.

Return to Top
#1422821 - 08/02/10 06:09 PM Re: a new kid bonette
Ledeana Offline
Diamond Poster
California
Having survived two teenage girls that were two years apart I can attest that you will survive. Your son may not say that he loves you but he does and he will say it again some day. Just keep letting him know that you love him. Kids that age need security, boundries, and consistency. It all comes out good on the other side, once the alien life form that has inhabitated their little bodies moves out!

Return to Top
#1422825 - 08/02/10 06:12 PM Re: a new kid bonette
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
bonette, don't worry, he'll change. My son was a pain at 13 and 14, then by the time he was a senior, had turned into a bright interesting enjoyable person. Of course, as soon as I learned to really enjoy having him in the house, he left.

Return to Top
#1422827 - 08/02/10 06:16 PM Re: a new kid MyBrainHurts
bonette Offline
100 Club
georgia
Thank you all for your encouragment, it helps to know I'm not alone and that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Return to Top
#1422841 - 08/02/10 06:30 PM Re: a new kid bonette
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
My sister has read the book and constantly tells me about it. I havent yet. Her boys are 6 and 8. She's going to have her hands full.

Return to Top
#1422884 - 08/02/10 07:14 PM Re: a new kid RR Jen
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
My nephew is too cool to tell me he loves me. I tell him "it's okay Kevin, you don't have to tell me you love me, I know you do"...to which he'll either smile and nod or just say "yep". Works for me!

Return to Top
#1422910 - 08/02/10 07:47 PM Re: a new kid RR Sarah
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
Teenagers . . . . crazy

I have a 15 year old step daughter (doesn't live in same state), but doesn't associate with us unless there is something in it for her.

I have a 17 year old nephew that won't talk to me if his friends are around. (feel like smacking him in the back of the head sometimes)!!

On the other hand, I have a niece (16) and another nephew (18) who all throughout their teen years have come up to me and will hug and kiss me no matter where we see each other.

I really don't think I was that bad as a teen! I never would have treated my family that way no matter who was around.

Return to Top
#1422939 - 08/02/10 08:19 PM Re: a new kid Bones
Peepers Offline
10K Club
For the most part I wasn't a bad teen.

I did act up a bit though as a response to my childhood years when my dad gave me home buzz cuts in the basement and didn't allow me to get cool glasses......just the cheap dorky ones.

Return to Top
#1423141 - 08/03/10 11:46 AM Re: a new kid Peepers
The Minion Offline
Platinum Poster
The Minion
I have 17 yr old and 14 yr old both boys. It's been my experience thaqt 12-17 are the hardest yrs so far! My 17 yr old is almost human again. My 14 yr old still kisses me goodnight and tells me he loves me, but his mood swings are hard for everyone in the house. I just keep telling myself there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Return to Top