Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
New Reply Thread Options
#1424111 - 08/04/10 04:19 PM Re: Religion at Work BurntSienna
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Besides the fact it hat it disrupts productivity when a doctrinal debate ensues.....

I wouldn't mind a short reading and quick "Thank you Lord, help us get through the day" prayer being said in the work area, but I don't want to hear anyone's interpretation and prayer for my salvation in the work area. The interpretation, discussion, and major prayer should be in a separate room.

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#1424488 - 08/05/10 01:19 AM Re: Religion at Work BurntSienna
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
The Bank very well could be sued - he is creating a hostile work environment and it violates several civil rights provisions.

#1424558 - 08/05/10 01:45 PM Re: Religion at Work rlcarey
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
Originally Posted By: rlcarey
The Bank very well could be sued - he is creating a hostile work environment and it violates several civil rights provisions.

Anyone can be "sued", heck, I can sue you right now if I wanted to -- doesn't mean I'll come close to winning.

Fact is, no one has said they would not like this optional devotion to not take place and no one has said they feel uncomfortable about it. Until someone does so, there is nothing to sue about what-so-ever.

#1424672 - 08/05/10 03:32 PM Re: Religion at Work BurntSienna
Anonymous
Unregistered

“When in Rome”, why has this cliché survived so long? or “It is what it is”?
If you’re talking about downtown Salt Lake City or Oklahoma City, you’re in Rome.
If you don’t like it or feel comfortable, being a church going person yourself you know what you should do. Talk with your boss and hope his faith overpowers his human nature to not hold it against you which a true believer should do. If you find that the boss is superficial, then you have grounds to bring the issue up with HR and further up if necessary.
Final option is to start looking for that Shangri La of jobs in the local area or “grin and bear it”.
You might equip you contributions to the prayer group with some Old Testament quotes from JOB as suited toward your attitude.

#1424768 - 08/05/10 05:40 PM Re: Religion at Work BurntSienna
Anonymous
Unregistered

No one should be forcing their beliefs on others in the work place, that is exactly what the supervisor is doing. If his superiors knew, it would probably be stopped. Invite the director of HR to the next "devotional".

#1424788 - 08/05/10 06:02 PM Re: Religion at Work Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

I find reactions of some posters here way more disturbing and offensive than the sup'visor herself! Not everyone wants prayer at work so nobody should be forced to endure it a la "when in Rome, do as the Romans do". That's ridiculous and wrong. Overt Religion practices doesn't belong in the public schools or workplace or government or anyplace but homes and churches. Save devotion and prayer for your personal time, pray the other 16 hours a day if you want, fine. Just leave other people who may or may not want to pray just like you alone during the 8 hours of workday geez!

#1424792 - 08/05/10 06:07 PM Re: Religion at Work Anonymous
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
Like I said previously, I am not religious, however, the supervisor is doing nothing wrong. This devotional is OPTIONAL. He is not "forcing" beliefs on anyone because there is no requirement to be there what-so-ever.

If you do not like how the devotional is taking place, then bring up the issue -- however, for people talking lawsuit, forcing beleifs, etc. that is just outrageous.

#1425138 - 08/06/10 11:22 AM Re: Religion at Work Bob The Banker
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Religion and politics are divisive topics in our society and for that reason, the best practise has always been to keep it out of the workplace.
It is too simple to say if you don't want to pray, go read the newspaper, because by not participating, it automatically creates a them and us situation. He prays, she doesn't.
Not good in what should be a team environment.

I think the employee should not have been put in the position of having to say she is not comfortable.
The supervisor should be aware enough of office etiquette and never have started this.
Last edited by MagicCity; 08/06/10 11:22 AM.
#1425152 - 08/06/10 12:46 PM Re: Religion at Work MagicCity
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Originally Posted By: MagicCity
I think the employee should not have been put in the position of having to say she is not comfortable.
The supervisor should be aware enough of office etiquette and never have started this.

Regardless of who should've known or done what, people don't always do what they should do. The original poster has repeatedly said they will wait and see if it stops because they don't want any bad repercussions. Being passive in this type of situation is not helpful and will not accomplish anything except making the offense worse.

When a situation like this pops up, the offended party needs to voice their concerns. They can do so in a respectful non-confrontational way and in private that won't result in bad repercussions (it's all in how you present it). If that doesn't work, then go to HR. But by not saying anything, they are silently condoning the practice and either need to voice their objection or suck it up and endure it.

#1425193 - 08/06/10 01:54 PM Re: Religion at Work Dani York, CRCM
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
I have to agree 100% with Dani, both on her uncomfortableness with the way this devotional time appears to be conducted, and with her advice to the employee as to how to address the matter with her boss.

#1425683 - 08/06/10 08:52 PM Re: Religion at Work Sinatra Fan
kiemo Offline
Gold Star
kiemo
MidUS
Agree wholeheartedly with MagicCity. As if there aren't enough reasons people to feel divided already! If this 'boss' is also the one that does your employee reviews, you can bet that this will affect the outcome those as well.

#1428314 - 08/12/10 06:36 PM Re: Religion at Work BurntSienna
Anonymous
Unregistered

If the "boss" states that it is not mandatory, then I would assume it is NOT mandatory. I would as calmly and quitely as possible, get up from my assigned work area and do my own thing. If the "boss" made any remarks to my doing that; then I would have to be a "trouble-maker". Perhaps, 'boss' doesn't realize that the middle of the department, during regular working hours is not appropriate.

#1428427 - 08/12/10 08:31 PM Re: Religion at Work BurntSienna
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm with BurntSienna. I am a "born-again Christian", but I really don't like mixing my faith at work. I really don't see the purpose of it. If being witness is the point of it all, then actions speak louder than words. Be an example and more people will be influenced by that than someone standing up and reading Bible verses in the middle of the room.

#1428532 - 08/12/10 10:05 PM Re: Religion at Work Anonymous
Patriot Offline
Gold Star
I hope the original poster gives us an update.

#1429294 - 08/13/10 09:32 PM Re: Religion at Work Patriot
Anonymous
Unregistered

Original Anon here. It became apparent some of the others in the department didn't like what was going on, but did not feel like stepping up. I finally spoke to "upper management" (not the boss) today and explained the situation. They said they would work on it. I will wait and see what happens. My guess is they will suggest it be moved to a conference room, etc. If that happens it will be interesting to see what attendance there is. In the meantime, I just get up and leave every morning and get another cup of coffee.

#1429391 - 08/16/10 01:25 PM Re: Religion at Work BurntSienna
drewella Offline
Gold Star
I'm with BurntSienna,

Judging from the initial post, it doesn't sound as though the boss was opening the devotion to all religions, just his. Also, he has a captive audience. Let's be real, anyone who dared not to go along with the devotion routine would probably pay the consequences.

While I am a "born-again" Christian, who attends church and prays, I would never have initiated the devotional time in the work place.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale