Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1403136 - 06/14/10 02:26 PM Craigslist
FNBBangor Offline
New Poster
FNBBangor
Wisconsin
We are looking into listing on craigslist for a part time teller position. We are wondering if there are any compliance requirements in doing this. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Return to Top
Security - PUBLIC
#1403174 - 06/14/10 03:18 PM Re: Craigslist FNBBangor
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
This is a joke, yes?

Return to Top
#1428047 - 08/12/10 02:40 PM Re: Craigslist Fraudman CFCI
willicabankerlady Offline
New Poster
willicabankerlady
Southern Girl at Heart
As the Security Officer of the bank I would be very concerned if someone in the HR department made the decision to post on Craig's List or any similar internet site. I have seen and heard of too many instances where a company has posted on a similar site and then have been scammed by a person because of sensitive information they were able to gather thru the interviewing process. In my opinion it would not be in the best interest to expose your bank by posting on Craig's List. If you have a Banker's Association that you belong to I would recommend that you post there, as most associations will be able to assist you in this area. Even if your association does not do direct postings they may be able to point you to a safer option. If you would like you can personal message me and I would be happy to share a story published by SNOsoft on this same subject.

Return to Top
#1428083 - 08/12/10 03:11 PM Re: Craigslist willicabankerlady
fmissle Online
Diamond Poster
Pac NW
Yes you can post jo openings on Craigslist. I've been doing it for years.

willicabankerlad's concerns are important, but it's no different than posting a help wanted ad in the paper, on Monster, or anywhere else.

Return to Top
#1428087 - 08/12/10 03:14 PM Re: Craigslist willicabankerlady
Midwest Banker Offline
Gold Star
Cheeseland
Ditto; News advertising can be very expensive however there are numerous ways you can reduce your cost. Why a free online site? What are you trying to achieve?

Return to Top
#1428373 - 08/12/10 07:35 PM Re: Craigslist Midwest Banker
fmissle Online
Diamond Poster
Pac NW
craigslist is not free for job postings. That's one of the ways they generate revenue.

Return to Top
#1428383 - 08/12/10 07:50 PM Re: Craigslist Midwest Banker
willicabankerlady Offline
New Poster
willicabankerlady
Southern Girl at Heart
Here is a snipit of information in the article from SNOsoft and the web address to read the entire article:

http://snosoft.blogspot.com/2010/04/hacking-your-bank.html

In addition to FaceBook, we focused on websites like Monster, Dice, Hot Jobs, LinkedIn, etc. We identified a few interesting IT related job openings that disclosed interesting and useful technical information about the bank. That information included but was not limited to what Intrusion Detection technologies had been deployed, what their primary Operating Systems were for Desktops and Servers, and that they were a Cisco shop.
Naturally, we thought that it was also a good idea to apply for the job to see what else we could learn. To do that, we created a fake resume that was designed to be the “perfect fit” for a “Sr. IT Security Position” (one of the opportunities available). Within one day of submission of our fake resume, we had a telephone screening call scheduled.
We started the screening call with the standard meet and greet, and an explanation of why we were interested in the opportunity.
Once we felt that the conversation was flowing smoothly, we began to dig in a bit and start asking various technology questions.
In doing so, we learned what Anti-Virus technologies were in use and we also learned what the policies were for controlling outbound network traffic.
That’s all that we needed…
Upon completion of our screening call, we had sufficient information to attempt stealth penetration with a high probability of success.

Return to Top
#1428535 - 08/12/10 10:07 PM Re: Craigslist willicabankerlady
fmissle Online
Diamond Poster
Pac NW
Originally Posted By: willicabankerlad
Here is a snipit of information in the article from SNOsoft and the web address to read the entire article:

http://snosoft.blogspot.com/2010/04/hacking-your-bank.html

In addition to FaceBook, we focused on websites like Monster, Dice, Hot Jobs, LinkedIn, etc. We identified a few interesting IT related job openings that disclosed interesting and useful technical information about the bank. That information included but was not limited to what Intrusion Detection technologies had been deployed, what their primary Operating Systems were for Desktops and Servers, and that they were a Cisco shop.
Naturally, we thought that it was also a good idea to apply for the job to see what else we could learn. To do that, we created a fake resume that was designed to be the “perfect fit” for a “Sr. IT Security Position” (one of the opportunities available). Within one day of submission of our fake resume, we had a telephone screening call scheduled.
We started the screening call with the standard meet and greet, and an explanation of why we were interested in the opportunity.
Once we felt that the conversation was flowing smoothly, we began to dig in a bit and start asking various technology questions.
In doing so, we learned what Anti-Virus technologies were in use and we also learned what the policies were for controlling outbound network traffic.
That’s all that we needed…
Upon completion of our screening call, we had sufficient information to attempt stealth penetration with a high probability of success.

I've read that article. It was a great look at intrusion processes.

Return to Top
#1428670 - 08/13/10 01:56 PM Re: Craigslist fmissle
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
I don't understand the fear of an online ad. The risks mentioned above are due to the content of the ad, not where it is placed. If you're looking for a part time teller, do you really think they're going to see your ad in a newspaper? Does anyone read newspapers anymore, except online?

Return to Top
#1429279 - 08/13/10 08:52 PM Re: Craigslist MyBrainHurts
OkieOps Offline
Platinum Poster
OkieOps
OK
I have tremendous response to newspaper ads, not necessarily online.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z