Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#1428854 - 08/13/10 03:58 PM discrimination
Anonymous
Unregistered

I feel a co-worker has been discriminated against and basically forced to quit. She's the only minority in our bank. Since the conversation yesterday, which led to this decision on her part, involved the "perception" she was spending too much time at my desk, I feel I have been pulled into the situation, and might have the right to act on this (as in speak with the the bank president since we don't really have an HR dept). There is way more to the story, of course. Any input from anyone who has had this experience would be greatly appreciated.
Because of this, I am actually going to reevaluate my career (after 25+ yrs)and plan on looking for a new passion (my daugher's word). And that is okay with me, actually.
After all if I don't stand for something, then I stand for nothing.

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#1428860 - 08/13/10 04:03 PM Re: discrimination Anonymous
Patriot Offline
Gold Star
The best thing you can do is encourage her to speak to a plaintiff's employment lawyer who can evaluate her case. I recommend staying out of this matter at work and not speaking to the president. It can only go badly for you.

#1429038 - 08/13/10 05:51 PM Re: discrimination Patriot
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
were you counseled as well about having the employee at your desk so much? Do other employees spend as much time at your desk? were they counseled as well? Was the time spent at your desk impeding her ability to complete her work correctly and timely? Has she been told before, or was this the first time? Forced to resign? As in either resign or we terminate you? Or more along the lines of "quit spending so much time there or we will need to re-evaluate your employment?"

If you weren't counseled as well, then you have no dog in this fight and I see no reason for you to step in. If you choose to do so, be prepared to leave as well.

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale