Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1430589 - 08/18/10 01:55 PM Child Custody Legal Aid Help?
Dlynn58 Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
My daughter's ex is taking her to court for child custody of two of my grandchildren. He has no reason, but does this about every other year. She is a good mother and takes very good care of the kids. She lives on a shoestring income and cannot afford an attorney and we can't help a lot either. She called last night and said she got a lawyer, but signed over her next three paychecks. So that leaves her without any income to pay for rent, utitlities, food, etc. I don't understand how things like this works. Is there any legal aid out there to help mothers whos exs are just jerks and does this because they can. Is anyone know of where we could get her some legal aid? Her hearing is next Tuesday.

Return to Top
#1430613 - 08/18/10 02:15 PM Re: Child Custody Legal Aid Help? Dlynn58
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
well, since she has an attorney now, how about they ask the judge for an increase in child support payments and also to pay her court costs, since she is on a shoestring budget...

If they can point out to the court this is being done by the ex just to be a pain, the court can punish him monetarily.

I'm not aware of any legal aid for something like this, but I'd think a call to social services or the state bar association could provide that answer for you

Return to Top
#1430623 - 08/18/10 02:26 PM Re: Child Custody Legal Aid Help? HappyGilmore
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Usually your judicial district will have a legal aid office that provides legal services and representation for low income individuals. Check with the state bar association or google legal aid of (your area/state). Being that she already has an attorney on retainer, she may not be able to get help from legal aid. She should still call and ask though. Also, maybe she could ask the attorney she's hired if they provide any pro-bono services or if they could discount the services because of her income (highly unlikely, but it doesn't hurt to ask).

Return to Top
#1430831 - 08/18/10 05:15 PM Re: Child Custody Legal Aid Help? Dani York, CRCM
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
this is a shame that other family members can do this as well as getting child protective services to harass the parent with custody...

Return to Top
#1430863 - 08/18/10 05:44 PM Re: Child Custody Legal Aid Help? Pale Rider
Jafo Offline
Gold Star
Jafo
State of Confusion
I don't know your location, but most areas have a Legal Aid Society. They offer legal advice, referrals etc. Try googleing for one in your daughters area.

Return to Top
#1431320 - 08/19/10 02:56 PM Re: Child Custody Legal Aid Help? Jafo
Dlynn58 Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
Thanks for all of your help. The hearing is Tuesday. Pray it all goes well.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett