Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1431220 - 08/19/10 01:38 PM Flood insurance: Inventory & Equipment?
AuditorK Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
If we make a commercial loan, secured by inventory and equipment (UCC-1 filed) which is stored in a building located in a SFHA but we don't take the building as collateral, must we require the borrower to obtain flood insurance on the contents?

Page 32 of the FEMA Mandatory Purchase Guidelines states, "On the other hand, flood insurance is not required for a loan financing inventory where the secured collateral is stored in a building located in an SFHA and the building is not security for the loan".

Per this information, I'd say we are not required to get flood coverage on the contents. Could I get a second (or third, fourth, etc.) opinion?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1431244 - 08/19/10 01:58 PM Re: Flood insurance: Inventory & Equipment? AuditorK
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
You must have a security interest in both the building and the contents for the mandatory contents coverage to be applicable.

Return to Top
#1431250 - 08/19/10 02:04 PM Re: Flood insurance: Inventory & Equipment? Dan Persfull
AuditorK Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
Great - thanks Dan!

Return to Top
#1431260 - 08/19/10 02:13 PM Re: Flood insurance: Inventory & Equipment? AuditorK
Doin it right Offline
100 Club
Up North
Unless it is SBA. It is my understanding that even though the structure isn't being taken as collateral, SBA requires that if the collateral inventory, etc. (contents) are located in a building within a SFHA, they require flood insurance.

Return to Top
#1431935 - 08/20/10 04:44 AM Re: Flood insurance: Inventory & Equipment? Doin it right
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
WS - that is correct.

And the question also becomes a safety and soundness issue.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z