Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1431754 - 08/19/10 08:15 PM Sar for Fictitious Check
nemsi Offline
Gold Star
Customer advertised truck for sale on the internet. Received and responded to various email communications with the individual posing as a buyer. Check was sent- $3,500 over purchase price- with instructions to send the additional funds Western Union to a certain person. The additional funds would pay for shipping. Luckily the customer didn't send funds, they opened a separate account deposited the check and waited for it to clear- that didn't happen. the check was returned "fictitious". The only info I have is the email address and a couple of names which would be fictitious. Any chance the email address or the name of the person who was to receive the shipping fee might benefit law enforcement?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1431770 - 08/19/10 08:24 PM Re: Sar for Fictitious Check nemsi
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Always a possibility given today's cyber forensic capabilities, but I doubt it. Filing the SAR without a suspect's name isn't required, of course, unless the check was for more than $15,000 (I'm betting it wasn't). Under that amount, there's no risk in filing, but I'd only do it if it feels good to you.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1431831 - 08/19/10 08:59 PM Re: Sar for Fictitious Check John Burnett
nemsi Offline
Gold Star
Thanks John. There's a better chance that i'll win the lottery than there is that i'll have any info that law enforcement could use to catch these crooks! I'm going to file, just in case!!!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z