Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1432374 - 08/20/10 08:08 PM ROR Waiver - bona fide emergency
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
Does a customer have to give a specific rationale for the 'bona fide emergency' or does their hand written letter just have to state 'bona fide emergency'?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1432382 - 08/20/10 08:16 PM Re: ROR Waiver - bona fide emergency Doug Hendrickson
MN Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
The letter has to state what it is. And just because the customer writes a letter and thinks it's an emergency doesn't mean the bank can automatically allow the waiver. You still have to determine whether or not it is a "true" emergency.

Return to Top
#1432389 - 08/20/10 08:25 PM Re: ROR Waiver - bona fide emergency MN Banker
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
Thanks! If they go through with it, I've told the loan officer and processor that I want to review the letter before any action is taken.
Last edited by Doug Hendrickson; 08/20/10 08:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Return to Top
#1432393 - 08/20/10 08:27 PM Re: ROR Waiver - bona fide emergency Doug Hendrickson
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
In my way too many years in lending and in compliance, I've seen one instance of a true emergency! Tread carefully!!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1432394 - 08/20/10 08:30 PM Re: ROR Waiver - bona fide emergency RR Joker
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
I am! I'm trying to dissuade them entirely and I think I'm almost there. I don't know what the 'emergency' is, but I think I've got them sufficiently spooked.

Return to Top
#1432396 - 08/20/10 08:32 PM Re: ROR Waiver - bona fide emergency Doug Hendrickson
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
good going!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1432432 - 08/20/10 09:08 PM Re: ROR Waiver - bona fide emergency RR Joker
West Coast Comp Offline
Gold Star
West Coast Comp
Lost in the rain.
FWIW in all the years I've been doing this I have never seen a true "financial emergency" that we waived the wait period for.

Return to Top
#1432462 - 08/20/10 10:04 PM Re: ROR Waiver - bona fide emergency West Coast Comp
Kahola Offline
Platinum Poster
Kahola
Scottsdale, AZ. 85255
In my 30+ years I have never seen a waiver. Once an examiner gave me an example : You need the cash to pay for a life threatening surgery for your son/daughter.

Return to Top
#1432478 - 08/20/10 10:44 PM Re: ROR Waiver - bona fide emergency Kahola
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
And there wasn't a true emergency in this case, so there will be NO waiver!

Return to Top
#1432480 - 08/20/10 10:47 PM Re: ROR Waiver - bona fide emergency Doug Hendrickson
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Perhaps the roof blew off and the collateral will be ruined...that could also be an emergency. It has to truly be dire. Health, total loss of home, etc.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1432510 - 08/21/10 12:27 AM Re: ROR Waiver - bona fide emergency Kathleen O. Blanchard
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
A Texas attorney provided this guidance in a recent letter to clients.

" . . . The term “bona fide personal financial emergency” is not defined by the Final Rule, although it is the identical term upon which waiver of the right of rescission by consumers for certain loans is conditioned and should be similarly narrowly construed. Whether such an emergency exists must be determined from the facts of each applicant’s situation as set out in the applicant’s written waiver statement. The imminent sale of the applicant’s home at foreclosure during the waiting period is suggested in the Final Rule as one example of such a bona fide personal financial emergency. Presumably, obtaining funds to repair a storm-damaged dwelling in an area declared by the President to be in a major disaster area may be another example. However, mere personal inconvenience or economic loss occasioned by the enforced waiting period would not satisfy the test of such a personal financial emergency. Creditors should be cautious in making these determinations particularly because the mere existence of the loan applicant’s written waiver statement will not in itself automatically insulate a creditor from liability for failing to comply with the waiting period requirements. . . ."

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z