Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1436740 - 08/31/10 01:49 PM Credit Card Dispute Problem
Patriot Offline
Gold Star
I'd appreciate some personal advice here on how to handle a "major" bank credit card department that is giving me fits. I am the PR of my father's estate. On his final credit card statement (I as PR called and closed the card account) I noticed a charge that was definitely not his. It was in a city 800 miles from his home and occurred three days before his death while he was in the hospital in his hometown. His credit card and his wallet were in my possession for safekeeping the entire time he was in the hospital, including the alleged tansaction date, so the card was not stolen or misappropriated. In other words, this is clearly a "billing error" if not more. So I filed the obligatory 226.13 billing error notice and received a letter back that they were giving a provisional credit and conducting research. I was asked to and did sign a statement that the charge was unauthorized. So far, so good. This week I get a letter back from the bank they have completed their research and that they are calling the transaction valid and they will rebill the charge including finance charges. No reasons given except they included a copy of a signed purchase slip from the merchant (a convenience store). Clearly the signature is not his.

I sense a fight brewing with this bank. Any advice on what to do or not do next? Should I try proving to the bank that the signature is forged? I can provide the bank a copy of his true signature from the last page of his will - - his clear signature is even notarized. Or would that be futile? Do you think the bank pursued all VISA association rules in dealing with the merchant over the signature and ID verification? Thanks!

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1436901 - 08/31/10 03:54 PM Re: Credit Card Dispute Problem Patriot
sdhj Offline
New Poster
Georgia
Save yourself time and frustration. Copy all documentation and sent it to the bank's federal regulator. (Along with a letter of compliant). IT WORKS EVERY TIME.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z