Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#143677 - 12/29/03 03:00 PM Wedding Pics
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
I wouldn't normally ask this but everyone is so honest and helpful with any subject I thought I would ask.
Many know I am a photographer on the side. Well bookings for wedding season are coming up and I started thinking about that. What were some of the best things your wedding photographer did or offered and some of the worst?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#143678 - 12/29/03 03:07 PM Re: Why Not.
Mr. Clean Offline
Platinum Poster
Mr. Clean
New England
Staged pictures are all good and fine and a necessary evil I'm sure......but my favorite pictures are those captured by my photographer without setting every little detail up. Also we received a proof album of these candid moments so we wouldn't lose the ones we decided not to have touched up and reproduced.

Return to Top
#143679 - 12/29/03 03:10 PM Re: Why Not.
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
BAD: He took photographs at the reception with people standing in front of a brick fireplace/ chimney. Nice idea, .... but he took the pictures at an angle (not pointed straight at the fireplace, and no, he couldn't see the flames, so that isn't the reason), so that the brick courses appear in the pictures at a significant slope.

GOOd: The proofs were posted on-line, so that we could see them, and so could our relatives - on two continents. This made selecting the pictures we wanted printing much easier. We were the first couple that our photographer did this for, but the only one for which he didn't password protect the photos.

Return to Top
#143680 - 12/29/03 03:14 PM Re: Why Not.
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
My photographer took a shot of each table of guests so I remember who was there. That may be a common thing nowadays but I thought it was nice. And like Mr. C said, take some candid shots when you see a moment but the people don't realize you're taking the picture.

Return to Top
#143681 - 12/29/03 03:31 PM Re: Why Not.
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Taking pictures before the wedding was new back when we got married so that you didn't have the "stand 'em up and shoot 'em" type of pictures. We had a lot of outdoor shots (May) and he did what he called a "first meeting" series. I was standing in the park across from the church and he had my husband-to-be walk up from behind. No one else was allowed out with us except for the photographer. He captured our reactions and first kiss as we saw each other that day. That is one of the most memorable parts for me. It was our very own private meeting without others standing around watching.

Return to Top
#143682 - 12/29/03 04:08 PM Re: Why Not.
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
When I married my sweetie, we had such a small, family only wedding, we didn't have a "real" photographer, we had a family member take the shots, so I don't think I can help you there. At our reception, (and family functions now) in addition to me, the Mamarazzi with my Kodak digital, I buy 10 to 12 disposable cameras for anyone to pick up and get a shot that I might otherwise miss. This was also done at my sister in laws wedding. They did have a photographer, but he took all the disposable cameras, and did a beautiful video, and collage out of the pictures.

Return to Top
#143683 - 12/29/03 04:16 PM Re: Why Not.
Anonymous
Unregistered

DO: Take Candids - wedding photographers (and I have had 2)should not really be noticed - don't be pushy asking fro posed shots, except when required.

DO: bring a pcokets full of candy or cheap toys. If you are shooting a family scene and there are small children who are not cooperative (they tend to get overly tired and cranky), you will be a hero to the bride and groom by bribing those little suckers with goodies if they promise to hang in there and smile.

DO NOT: Even if the bridal party offers, do not accept sitting at a table with other guests to eat. If they want to feed you (or if you demand that), whether it be a sandwich or the meal everyone else is eating, even if there are empty seats from no-shows, find a separate place to eat. No offense meant, but as a guest, I don't want the photographer eating at my table. My first photographer did that on his own, and it did bug me!

Return to Top
#143684 - 12/29/03 04:30 PM Re: Why Not.
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Quote:

Taking pictures before the wedding was new back when we got married so that you didn't have the "stand 'em up and shoot 'em" type of pictures. We had a lot of outdoor shots (May) and he did what he called a "first meeting" series. I was standing in the park across from the church and he had my husband-to-be walk up from behind. No one else was allowed out with us except for the photographer. He captured our reactions and first kiss as we saw each other that day. That is one of the most memorable parts for me. It was our very own private meeting without others standing around watching.

I really like that idea. I'll have to try that.

Return to Top
#143685 - 12/29/03 04:40 PM Re: Why Not.
jcrump Offline
jcrump
Texas
I have 2 perspectives (sad, but true)....

For large weddings...DO stay out of the way and snap as many candid shots as you can. The more pics before the ceremony, the better. The shots w/ the bride and her dad looking at each other are a fave. Funny shots in bride's dressing room are great. Note: If you notice that all the pictures you take of the reception have the bride and groom w/ their backs to one another and not standing together, it's a clue that you may have some repeat business when they marry other people....make sure that you give them your card!

For small weddings....We had several friends take pictures of the 30 or so people there (that included my hubby and me along w/ our 4 kids). I still love to look at those pictures. Most were outside and the background is just beautiful, no matter the angle. We had about 10 small kids around so most of the shots of them are candid and very cute...we gave them bubbles to blow and turned them loose...its was precious! Another note, the time was 10:30 AM. The lighting was awesome and it wasn't too hot (late-June). The "first meeting" pics mentioned above by Boomermom is a great idea. My friend did a variation of that, quite spontaneously...she just happened to have her camera in her hand when I saw my husband for the first time that morning.

Return to Top
#143686 - 12/29/03 04:51 PM Re: Why Not.
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
Black and whites....very classy and I think you end up with a product that focuses on the subjects and not everything around it. Not to be used for all of them but it makes a nice touch for have a sampling throughout.

Talk with the bride first and get a feel for what she would like. Ours did not do this and I was not very happy with most of our prossessionally done pictures. Candid is great!

Return to Top
#143687 - 12/29/03 04:52 PM Re: Why Not.
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega Offline
Diamond Poster
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega
A Grant Wood painting.
Married in Dallas, 1988.
"High End" photographer. Old money people- ex presidents and socialites. Square format - not a problem. Offered to do some B&W - cool.
The only problem is that he did not deliver. Pictures were just ok. We (in-laws) paid for "fantastic". He did not take as many shots as he said. He never did shoot the B&W.

Make sure to deliver. Like most things, I don't mind paying for the best -as long as that is what I get.

Return to Top
#143688 - 12/29/03 04:57 PM Re: Why Not.
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega Offline
Diamond Poster
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega
A Grant Wood painting.
Best photos: ones I took at other peoples weddings. I use to carry an old Olympus EC or AC 35MM range finder. (GREAT small camera, by the way.) Candids. Use creative angles. Use available light - stained glass -when you can. I don't know enough about digital to know what you can and can not do. (I intend to find out.)

Return to Top
#143689 - 12/29/03 05:22 PM Re: Why Not.
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
I use a pro quality digital 35 mm. Some good parts are no extra cost for b&w. No extra film cost either. I bring my laptop to transfer files so that I will never run out of space for images. I usually do the candids(most are converted to b&w). I'm not thrilled with the traditional poses but most people want them so I always do them. I like to through a twist in on occassion. I love having a zoom lens because then I can give several different perspectives of the same shot. I just started printing my own on an epson 2200 printer that is awesome. Colors are great and b&w are beautiful. Plus the best part is I can get prints to the couple fast. I also post them on my website. Couples also get a CD of images that are included in the package. Much better than receiving your negatives.

Thanks for the ideas so far. I really like the ideas. Always trying to find a way to set myself apart from the others.

Return to Top
#143690 - 12/29/03 05:59 PM Re: Why Not.
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Do you know the way to ...
I was at a wedding once where the photographer thought he was the show. Made them re-toss the bouquet because he didn't get the "right" shot. (And of course a different person caught it.) Made people move out of the way so he could get the "candid" shots he wanted.

Got mad when other people were taking pics of the wedding cake before it was cut - even though most were using the disposables the couple had left at the tables so they could get some real candids.

Yeah, the photos came out wonderful, but the guests were rather annoyed with him.

# 1 tip to wedding photogs: stay out of the way. The couple and their guests shouldn't even know you're there during the ceremony and reception.

Return to Top
#143691 - 12/29/03 06:21 PM Re: Why Not.
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
My photographer was great. he made us laugh and the best was, a month before the wedding, we sat down and lined out who was who; how they were connected to each other and what i wanted pictures of. when the day came, he remembered every bit of it, calling people by name, which they loved, and got great shots. he also did a nice thing by taking solo photos of families (ie, my brother and his wife and daughter, the bridesmaids and their spouses etc) which made for GREAT christmas gifts. He made the whole process seem fun and not too time consuming.

Return to Top
#143692 - 12/29/03 06:31 PM Re: Why Not.
Bob McComas Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob McComas
Dallas, Texas
Are you doing video too? When both our daughters were married, the photographer/videographer secretly allowed had each set of parents to say what ever they wanted in a private room away from the crowd, and then added it to the end of the tape. The couples didn't know it until they played the tape and were overwhelmed with the interviews. Speaking as father of the bride(s) make sure you get several pictures with Dad dancing with daughter or mother/ son. It means alot to the parent. I'll cherish that moment forever.

Return to Top
#143693 - 12/29/03 07:44 PM Re: Why Not.
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
My husband videod a wedding for the daughter of a friend of ours. He took each one of the attendants into a room during the reception and recorded well-wishes and memories and added it to the end of their tape. They thought that was the best part - being able to hear from all their friends.

Return to Top
#143694 - 12/29/03 07:48 PM Re: Why Not.
Anonymous
Unregistered

One really nice shot that was taken at my nieces wedding was one from behind the bride / groom table with the reception area and tables (w/ guests) in the background, I found that to be unusual, but it was done very well and it was very unique I think.

Return to Top
#143695 - 12/30/03 02:50 PM Re: Why Not.
Bank on it Offline
100 Club
Bank on it
New York
I was at a wedding recently where the photographers did something that I had never seen before. Instead of signing a guest book upon arrival at the reception, the photographers provided a few Polaroid cameras and plenty of film. Each guest/couple had an instant picture taken and they got to sign a special message to the bride and groom on the bottom of their picture. The newlyweds are assured a picture of everybody, and a personal message from them to boot!

Return to Top
#143696 - 12/30/03 06:51 PM Re: Wedding Pics
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
I had shot a few weddings too. After one wedding, (and the re-run for photos at the altar), we invited everyone back into the church (with the minister's and couple's permission). Everyone joined them on the altar for a group shot from the balcony - around 150 people.

The bride and groom sent a copy of the picture to all those in attendance at the church, with the thank you note.

Return to Top
#143697 - 12/31/03 03:09 PM Re: Wedding Pics
TDW Offline
Gold Star
My photographer was a very creative lady. She knew that my husband's family owned tons of horses and wondered if I would put on my dress and stand out in the middle of a field surrounded by horses. My mother was so nervous that I would get my dress dirty but the photographer had everything under control. My father in law came out to help and I tell you what, those pictures with the horses in the background, the pond, the sunset, are the neatest pictures! She had my father in law dress in his old cowboy hat and duster, saddle up a horse and while standing there holding the reins he kissed my forhead while I was looking down. The photographer did it in black and white and it is one of my favorites, very unique. My point is she knew I loved horses and just did this special shoot for me at no extra charge. Its to bad I don't know how to post the picture in a thread, or I would show ya!

Return to Top
#143698 - 12/31/03 10:42 PM Re: Wedding Pics
GenerousLife Offline
Diamond Poster
USA
For our daughter's wedding they did a checklist of the poses and groupings we wanted. It turned out to be very long. Looking back, the special ones are the family groupings, especially the ones with grandparents that are now gone. I love Dad/Daughter poses, whether formal or informal.

I agree about staying out of the way.

A friend's wedding had a neat idea. During the reception, the photographer set up a spot where family and guests could have their picture made, then when these are posted on a website, everyone can order what they want.

Return to Top